What's new

Scribe scribe 3.x_y - syslog-ng and logrotate installer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

First time I've seen this. It's repeated over and over in the logs.
Code:
Apr 26 15:53:37 ripshod syslog-ng[28253]: syslog-ng starting up; version='3.38.1'
Apr 26 18:07:16 ripshod syslog-ng[28253]: The current log file has a mismatching size/inode information, restarting from the beginning; state='affile_sd_curpos(/var/lib/logrotate.status)', stored_inode='61692', cur_file_inode='911502', stored_size='208', cur_file_size='253', raw_stream_pos='0'
Apr 26 18:07:16 ripshod syslog-ng[28253]: The current log file has a mismatching size/inode information, restarting from the beginning; state='affile_sd_curpos(/opt/tmp/logrotate.daily)', stored_inode='6293400', cur_file_inode='6292495', stored_size='0', cur_file_size='88', raw_stream_pos='0'
Other logs are mentioned too.
We've seen this before. If I recall correctly it stems from two things. The first is that logrotate takes a log, renames it, and then creates a new log file with the old name. Then it sends a hangup to cause syslog-ng to start up again. Syslog notices that one of its destinations has a new inode, triggers the message, and then changes its pointer to the new inode with the name it is looking for. Make sure that all your logrotate configs have that SIGHUP.

The other, I think, relates to the hourly rollup by skynet.

I think we started to see these about five years ago, so a search might turn up the exact discussion.

Might it be caused by slow USB flash drive?
Maybe a tad. It takes me maybe a second to download a 7mb log file to a local computer that won't ever load within uiscribe.

But it is really the GUI choking on large log files it is trying to load.

The idea would be to check the size of the log files, and figure out either why they aren't rotating each night, or why they are growing so big during the day.

One more time, with feeeeeeeeeeling. 3.0_3 up with @visortgw's fix. The only thing not working correctly right now is running S01syslog-ng restart from the command line. But "scribe restart" will work correctly (and is easier to type).
Updated and tested on GT-AX6000 with Merlin 388.2. Both "rs." from menu as well as "scribe restart" from WORK — they DO NOT break the symbolic links.

Updated and tested on GT-AX6000 with Merlin 388.2. Both "rs." from menu as well as "scribe restart" from WORK — they DO NOT break the symbolic links.
Super!

Okay, to help me figure out what's going on, if you would, please change your tag to gamma and update, then run "/opt/etc/init.d/S01syslog-ng restart" then before doing anything else, copy the contents of /tmp/scribelog to a message. Then for fun, run "scribe restart" and then again copy the contents of /tmp/scribelog to the message. The file will get wiped in between so you unfortunately have to do the copy thing twice.

It shouldn't give out any sensitive information, but if you'd like you can send it in a "conversation" so only I see it.

That should give me something to chew on tomorrow.

For the granddaughter update: Sadly, she is not feeling well 🤕 , so she is still here, but went to bed shortly after I got home. Poor thing.

The plot thickens. scribe isn't running. After a reboot it's not running.
'rs' from amtm and it's still dead. 'scribe restart' from the console and it's still dead. Also ran 'sd'.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-04-27-06-43-24-50_96079702262017ccfd2f2f70f93088e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-27-06-43-24-50_96079702262017ccfd2f2f70f93088e6.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 21
  • Screenshot_2023-04-27-06-44-57-92_96079702262017ccfd2f2f70f93088e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-04-27-06-44-57-92_96079702262017ccfd2f2f70f93088e6.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Selection_001.png
    Selection_001.png
    32.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Super!

Okay, to help me figure out what's going on, if you would, please change your tag to gamma and update, then run "/opt/etc/init.d/S01syslog-ng restart" then before doing anything else, copy the contents of /tmp/scribelog to a message. Then for fun, run "scribe restart" and then again copy the contents of /tmp/scribelog to the message. The file will get wiped in between so you unfortunately have to do the copy thing twice.

It shouldn't give out any sensitive information, but if you'd like you can send it in a "conversation" so only I see it.

That should give me something to chew on tomorrow.

For the granddaughter update: Sadly, she is not feeling well 🤕 , so she is still here, but went to bed shortly after I got home. Poor thing.
Here you go.
Code:
Please select an option: s

checking syslog-ng daemon ... alive.

checking system for necessary scribe hooks ...

checking S01syslog-ng ... present.
         checking service-event ... present.
            checking post-mount ... present.
               checking unmount ... present.
    checking logrotate cron job ... present.
       checking directory links ... present.

checking syslog-ng configuration ...

syslog-ng.conf version check ... in sync. (3.38)
    syslog-ng.conf syntax check ... okay!

scribe installed version: v3.0_4 (gamma)
             scribe GitHub version: v3.0_4 (gamma)
                    scribe is up to date!
After running "/opt/etc/init.d/S01syslog-ng restart":
Code:
scribe_conf = /opt/jffs/addons/scribe/config
optmsg = /opt/var/log/messages
jffslog = /jffs/syslog.log
tmplog = /tmp/syslog.log
isjffs = false
syslog_loc = /tmp/syslog.log
optmsg is NOT a link
syslog_loc is a link
syslog_loc is a link
jffslog is NOT a directory
tmplog is a link
jffslog is a directory
tmplog is a link
After running "scribe restart":
Code:
tmplog = /tmp/syslog.log
isjffs = true
syslog_loc = /jffs/syslog.log
optmsg is a link
syslog_loc is NOT a link
syslog_loc is a link
tmplog is NOT a link
tmplog is a link

The plot thickens. scribe isn't running. After a reboot it's not running.
'rs' from amtm and it's still dead. 'scribe restart' from the console and it's still dead. Also ran 'sd'.
Very strange. Do you by chance have a funky flash / SSD drive name? Any special symbols or anything? As I recall, some "legal" characters can cause issues. I personally limit myself to a thru z and 0 thru 9, with no spaces even. I know there are more legal characters but I prefer to avoid them.

Assuming you haven't a funky flash / SSD drive name, the next thing I would suggest is uninstall scribe, reboot, and reinstall. Your entware installation is standard, right, no funky custom changes to it?

If the problem persists, about the only thing I can suggest at that point is to run 'd' from the scribe utilities menu and send me the debugging file it generates.

scribe uninstalled fine, but I can't reinstall it now.

Code:
Getting from fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net
 ! Module scribe.mod download failed
 ! using fallback server diversion.ch

Both servers are responding to ping.

I've now got scribe working fine, but I've got nothing else installed so I'll run it like this for the next 24hrs.
For my first ever real issue with an Asus router it's been interesting (to put it politely)

scribe uninstalled fine, but I can't reinstall it now.

Code:
Getting from fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net
 ! using fallback server diversion.ch

Both servers are responding to ping.
I don't control the scribe.mod file, that's part of amtm, built into the router's firmware now. What you're showing is that it failed to download the amtm module (which just basically tells amtm about the various scripts) for scribe from fwupdate.asuswrt-merlin.net. I only control the script itself and related support files that are all in github.

I don't know how to begin troubleshooting your issue, amtm is used by virtually everyone using any kind a add-on script for Merlin's firmware. You might see if there is an active amtm thread here and see if someone there can help.

Here you go.
Code:
Please select an option: s

checking syslog-ng daemon ... alive.

checking system for necessary scribe hooks ...

checking S01syslog-ng ... present.
         checking service-event ... present.
            checking post-mount ... present.
               checking unmount ... present.
    checking logrotate cron job ... present.
       checking directory links ... present.

checking syslog-ng configuration ...

syslog-ng.conf version check ... in sync. (3.38)
    syslog-ng.conf syntax check ... okay!

scribe installed version: v3.0_4 (gamma)
             scribe GitHub version: v3.0_4 (gamma)
                    scribe is up to date!
After running "/opt/etc/init.d/S01syslog-ng restart":
Code:
tmplog = /tmp/syslog.log
isjffs = false
syslog_loc = /tmp/syslog.log
optmsg is NOT a link
syslog_loc is a link
syslog_loc is a link
tmplog is a link
jffslog is a directory
tmplog is a link
After running "scribe restart":
Code:
tmplog = /tmp/syslog.log
isjffs = true
syslog_loc = /jffs/syslog.log
optmsg is a link
syslog_loc is NOT a link
syslog_loc is a link
tmplog is NOT a link
tmplog is a link
Interesting. What's the contents of /jffs/addons/scribe.d/config ??

It downloaded fine after a factory reset. It's really weird though. After a reboot I have to go into amtm and restart scribe. This is with another SSD, so different hardware similar issues.
Where can I get 2.4.4 as everything was fine before 3.0.0?

Last edited:
It downloaded fine after a factory reset. It's really weird though. After a reboot I have to go into amtm and restart scribe. This is with another, so different hardware similar issues.
Where can I get 2.4.4 as everything was fine before 3.0.0?
I don't think that's possible unless someone knows some git magic. It's not just the scribe script itself that has changed, but many of the support files as well.

So, let me check I got this right. I was running 2.4.4 and it was fine. Saw this update to 3.0.0 so I did the update but it broke my setup. I deleted everything and reinstalled and still had the same problem. Was advised here in this thread to uninstall and install it back - wouldn't install. I ask for help and I'm told to go elsewhere.
Have I missed anything?
Thanks for the blow-off!

So, let me check I got this right. I was running 2.4.4 and it was fine. Saw this update to 3.0.0 so I did the update but it broke my setup. I deleted everything and reinstalled and still had the same problem. Was advised here in this thread to uninstall and install it back - wouldn't install. I ask for help and I'm told to go elsewhere.
Have I missed anything?
Thanks for the blow-off!
Wow.

To be clear, the issue you described with installing was with amtm, not scribe. scribe hadn't even started. I have no idea how amtm works.

I'm doing this in my free time, I'm a hobbiest, not a programmer by trade. I know just enough of how to use git desktop to get my scripts up on github. Githb does a good job of tracking what changes have been made, but I haven't the foggiest how to use it to rollback to a different point in time, or if can even be done. I'm sorry you feel I should be a master of all things software, but I'm not.

My initial issue was 3.0.0 not running and following the advice here has got me nowhere other than into a deeper hole (twice now).
Maybe if I started my own thread with another fresh install I may actually get some help with this.
I'm peeved, don't take it personally.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!