What's new

Set IPv6 DNS server

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DarkWolfSLV

Occasional Visitor
Hi!
Is there a way via the CLI (since it is not possible on the GUI due to the character limit) to add an IPv6 DNS server for your LAN DHCP configuration?
Currently using IPv6 Passthrough but even with static IPv6 settings, the DNS information is for the Router and not the clients.

Thanks.

1648241512650.png

1648241857199.png

The DHCP DNS fields do not support IPv6, only IPv4. That's because the clients use DHCP for IPv4, but RA for IPv6 - two different configuration mechanisms.

Hi @RMelin I understand what you are saying, but there's no way to manipulate what Router Advertisement will deliver. At least for the DNSv6 information.
Currently the ASUS insert itself as DNS server, but I would like to set it to be my IPv6 pihole address.

Thanks.

You can use a dnsmasq.postconf script to replace the existing parameter with your Pi-Hole address.
Code:
pc_replace "dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[::]" "dhcp-option=lan,option6:23,[2600:1234:5678::]"
There are examples in the forum if you search on option6.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!