What's new

Should I Give Asus Another Chance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Faluzure

New Around Here
I guess first thing I should do is state that I'm not new to networking. I'm an IT professional and know the ins-and-outs of networking but that is besides the point... My questions are based on the quality of Asus and to let you know of my past history.

I've never had a bad experience with Asus hardware (motherboards, graphics cards etc) until I purchased their N56U router. In the past I've used Linksys/Cisco-Linksys/Netgear related routers. I bought it several years ago when I got rid of DSL and went to Comcast. After looking at what was available at the time, I thought I'd give the Asus a try vs other brands (seeing how their other hardware never failed me).

At first, the product was amazing. Blistering speeds, great range on 2.4 GHz but poor range with 5 GHz (but I didn't use 5 GHz at the time). However over time, this device started getting worse and worse (both wired and wireless) and WAN connectivity.

My problems are that connectivity to the router itself from clients AND WAN connectivity from the router will simply die for 20-30 seconds at a time.

[[ Client Connectivity ]]
From the client to router perspective, all clients (PCs, phones, iPads, Chromecasts) will report connection problems. At first you'd think Internet issues, BUT pinging the router directly from a client will result in "Request Time Outs". Over time though, my pings will respond with very high latencies (1000-3000ms). Then it will go back to normal with 1 ms to < 1 ms ping responses. All PCs/laptops do this and it happens several times a day. My Chromecast will report that it can't connect to my WiFi SSID and despite running through the setup process over & over, it cannot/will not connect to my WiFi unless I reboot the router.

But sometimes I work from home too, so I have to use my work laptop. I have both PCs on, side by side and notice that when my main PC loses connectivity, so does my laptop. My Galaxy S4 also reports that my Internet connection is unstable. But this is a generic message, as I'm 100% sure that it's not my WAN connection. After all, if the WAN connection dies, I should still be able to ping my local gateway and other devices on it. But this is not the case.

[[ WAN Connectivity ]]
Looking through the logs of the router shows several periods of WAN link interruptions of WAN link lost/restored or lease is lost. I've had Comcast come out several times at first, thinking it was a WAN issue, but they've found nothing, time and time again. That is until I tried workarounds (new router or directly connecting to the modem itself).

[[ Attempted Workarounds ]]
I've attempted to remove the router altogether and try another product. Unfortunately the only item I had was a ORIGINAL Linksys WRT54G router from decades ago. Obviously this won't cut it for me in the long run (speeds and wireless range/compatibility) but it worked fine without any hitches like that of the Asus.

I've also tried not only Asus' firmware, but all versions of Padavan's firmwares and both have the exact same problem. I found other threads on this forum and other sites that show exact same symptoms as mine. I'm on the brink if buying a new router.

I even RMA'd the device and got the same router back (I wrote down the MAC/serial number) and Asus support said they "repaired the device" but they didn't state what they did. The issues still persist.

So basically my question is, since I'm on the market looking for a new router, should I invest in another Asus? So many websites, not only SNB forums, but Tom's Hardware, Asus Forums, DSLReports, even Amazon.com Product reviews all talk about the same thing I'm experiencing.

I know SNB recommended the RT-N56U (which was one of the main reasons I bought it a few years back) but even the newer N/AC routers that the recommend, Asus is always at the top of their rankings. I'm actually scared to buy another one of their networking products...

Last edited:
I chime in with:
ASUS is great stuff. Just avoid the bleeding edge releases. ASUS is more edgy than others. So you might want 6-12 month old products.

But this applies to all products. Early adopters, first to market.

I chime in with:
ASUS is great stuff. Just avoid the bleeding edge releases. ASUS is more edgy than others. So you might want 6-12 month old products.

But this applies to all products. Early adopters, first to market.

I have the same concept about not getting early releases, but the N56U wasn't their first offering. The N10, N12, N16, WL-series came out prior to the N56U.

Now that the N56U is very old and has its share of firmware updates, it's still problematic (for me). Of course I might have had a bad router, but even with my RMA and repair, I'm still having issues. What's alarming is that so many others are having the same issues with their N56U.

So even if I get their previous-gen router, like from the AC1200/AC1750 lines, it's still potential for the same issues.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!