What's new

Slow IPv6 DNS lookups on a R7800 when IPv6 DNS servers are set manually

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdysthe

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I am not sure whether this post belongs in a Voxel firmware thread or here as a general R7800 question since I use Voxel firmware on my R7800. Anyway If I use manual set ipV6 DNS servers like Cloudflare after a while it takes up to 30 seconds to resolve and get to any web site or service. It almost looks like I do not have a connection at all, but after 10-30 seconds I always get to the site. IPv4 connections are fast . If I let my ISP (Comcast) set the IPv6 DNS servers (DHCP) there's no such delays. So Iwonder if this is a Cloudflare, Comcast, Voxel or general R7800 problem. Maybe a combination of those even?

Hi,

I am not sure whether this post belongs in a Voxel firmware thread or here as a general R7800 question since I use Voxel firmware on my R7800. Anyway If I use manual set ipV6 DNS servers like Cloudflare after a while it takes up to 30 seconds to resolve and get to any web site or service. It almost looks like I do not have a connection at all, but after 10-30 seconds I always get to the site. IPv4 connections are fast . If I let my ISP (Comcast) set the IPv6 DNS servers (DHCP) there's no such delays. So Iwonder if this is a Cloudflare, Comcast, Voxel or general R7800 problem. Maybe a combination of those even?

Did you find a solution for this? I am having same problem. Slow internet due to DNS when setting dns manually on voxel firmware

Did you find a solution for this? I am having same problem. Slow internet due to DNS when setting dns manually on voxel firmware

No, I did not find a solution with the DNS provider I was using which was Cloudflare (1.1.1.1). There's something about their IPv6 implementation that doesn't work well with my R7800 running Voxel firmware.

I am now using Quad9 (9.9.9.9) which is generally even faster than Cloudflare (from my location at least). IPv6 works very well also and has been since the end of September 2018.

I'm on stock (.60) and use CloudFlare for both IPv4 and v6. Everything is fast here, no delays. Might be Voxel specific

I'm on stock (.60) and use CloudFlare for both IPv4 and v6. Everything is fast here, no delays. Might be Voxel specific

I did not have problems with IPv4 and my IPv6 problems came over time. After having set Cloudflare IPv6 addresses and used it for a day or so it started to slow down until I could not get IPv6 resloved at all . With Quad9 no such problems. Maybe it is Voxel specific although I have no idea why that would be the case.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!