What's new

Slow Speeds - Client VPN - IPVanish

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bones5050

Regular Contributor
I was hoping I can get some help here. I just signed up for IPVanish and setup a VPN client. However, the download speeds are a fraction of my bandwidth. I can typically achieve about 190 mb/s without IPVanish. Once I turn on the a VPN client on my router, I barely get 30 mb/s download speeds. My uploads seem fine with or without VPN turned on around 28 mb/s

Any ideas or is this just a limitation of the VPN client on my router? I've tried various IPVanish servers and the speed is about the same for all of the servers I've tried. When using the IPVanish client on my windows computer I can get 190 mb/s download speeds, just seems to be a limitation on the router.

I have a RT-AC88U running Merlins 382.1 firmware

Thanks

I was hoping I can get some help here. I just signed up for IPVanish and setup a VPN client. However, the download speeds are a fraction of my bandwidth. I can typically achieve about 190 mb/s without IPVanish. Once I turn on the a VPN client on my router, I barely get 30 mb/s download speeds. My uploads seem fine with or without VPN turned on around 28 mb/s

Any ideas or is this just a limitation of the VPN client on my router? I've tried various IPVanish servers and the speed is about the same for all of the servers I've tried. When using the IPVanish client on my windows computer I can get 190 mb/s download speeds, just seems to be a limitation on the router.

Thanks
This question comes up a lot. The speed you are getting is correct for your router.

It is a limitation of the CPU. OpenVPN is a single core threaded architecture. You can try the GSM ciphers. You will get better results if you select a server near your location.

People are reporting improved speeds with the AC-RT86U. You can see the thread in the VPN forum.

Thanks

I connect, but I can not access anything. What is your configuration? Thank you.

https://imgur.com/a/F9FnW3Q

cc @Xentrk

Last edited:
I connect, but I can not access anything. What is your configuration? Thank you.

https://imgur.com/a/F9FnW3Q

cc @Xentrk
Try adding the routers IP address in the "Rules for routing client traffic through the tunnel". Following snip from https://x3mtek.com/torguard-openvpn-2-4-client-setup-for-asuswrt-merlin-firmware/
upload_2019-1-26_10-13-4.png

Also, GCM Ciphers perform better than CBC. Not sure why IPVanish tells you to add AES-256-CBS-SHA in the custom config section when you already specify the Cipher and Hash in the Client Config GUI. You may want to ask support about that one.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!