What's new

Slow Speedtest when AX86U is plugged on 2.5Gbe

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Groslol

Occasional Visitor
Hey everyone!

Hope you're doing great! I just got the FTTH on my flat (5Gbps down / 700Mbps up) and my ISP router have 2.5Gbe port. So I genuinely plug the ISP Router 2.5 to the AX86U 2.5. Everything with CAT 7 cable. Router print 2.5 link speed so everything seems ok. If I plug my computer directly to the ISP router I got 2.3Gbps on speedtest, so far so good. When I plug the ISP to the AX86U the speedtests down oscillate between 600Mbps and 1.1Gbps. I don't really understand why I can't get 2.3Gbps when doing speedtest directly from the router. Furthermore, if I do the speedtest on my computer (B550i + R7 3700X + 32 Go RAM + WiFi 6 AX200 160Mhz) the WiFi link speed is 2400Mbps, so I should normally have at least 1/1.5 Gbps speedtests over WiFi. So why the router seems to be stuck at these slow download rate? I hope it's not because it's hardware is too poor, even more at 300 euros ...

Thanks in advance :)

Hey everyone!

Hope you're doing great! I just got the FTTH on my flat (5Gbps down / 700Mbps up) and my ISP router have 2.5Gbe port. So I genuinely plug the ISP Router 2.5 to the AX86U 2.5. Everything with CAT 7 cable. Router print 2.5 link speed so everything seems ok. If I plug my computer directly to the ISP router I got 2.3Gbps on speedtest, so far so good. When I plug the ISP to the AX86U the speedtests down oscillate between 600Mbps and 1.1Gbps. I don't really understand why I can't get 2.3Gbps when doing speedtest directly from the router. Furthermore, if I do the speedtest on my computer (B550i + R7 3700X + 32 Go RAM + WiFi 6 AX200 160Mhz) the WiFi link speed is 2400Mbps, so I should normally have at least 1/1.5 Gbps speedtests over WiFi. So why the router seems to be stuck at these slow download rate? I hope it's not because it's hardware is too poor, even more at 300 euros ...

Thanks in advance :)

I assume the router shows its 2.5G WAN port connecting at 2.5G. Mine does.

Maybe the router onboard speed test is constrained by the router.

Did you say what the wireless PC speed test result was?

OE

Hey @OzarkEdge ! Thanks for the answer! So please find all the tests I've done (All results are only for download speed)

ISP Router in Bridge Mode (Because no SFP+ on AX86U):

- AX86U <-2.5Gb-> ISP Router (Speedtest direclty from Asus) : Oscillate between 500 Mbps and 1.1 Gbps

- PC via WiFi with previous setup (Link Speed of 2.4Gb, PC is like 2 meters away from router, so we usually get between 50/60% of the Link Speed as actual speed so 2.4/2=1.2, so normally I should have at least the double as the obtained values): Around 600/700

- PC wired directly to ISP Router (Bridge mode disabled + 2.5Gb <-> 2.5Gb): 2.2/2.3Gbps (So the normal value)

So here my problem is that the router can't achieve 2.2Gbps even when testing directly from the internal Speedtest (Most of servers get 500 Mbps, just one give me sometimes 1.1 Gbps).

So my questions are: Why the router can't achieve 2.2/2.3 Gbps Speedtests as my computer is able to + Why I haven't more than 600/700 Mbps using WiFi as I should have at least 1.2Gbps

Thanks in advance! :)

Last edited:
Hey @OzarkEdge ! Thanks for the answer! So please find all the tests I've done (All results are only for download speed)

ISP Router in Bridge Mode (Because no SFP+ on AX86U):

- AX86U <-2.5Gb-> ISP Router (Speedtest direclty from Asus) : Oscillate between 500 Mbps and 1.1 Gbps

- PC via WiFi with previous setup (Link Speed of 2.4Gb, PC is like 2 meters away from router, so we usually get between 50/60% of the Link Speed as actual speed so 2.4/2=1.2, so normally I should have at least the double as the obtained values): Around 600/700

- PC wired directly to ISP Router (Bridge mode disabled + 2.5Gb <-> 2.5Gb): 2.2/2.3Gbps (So the normal value)

So here my problem is that the router can't achieve 2.2Gbps even when testing directly from the internal Speedtest (Most of servers get 500 Mbps, just one give me sometimes 1.1 Gbps).

So my questions are: Why the router can't achieve 2.2/2.3 Gbps Speedtests as my computer is able to + Why I haven't more than 600/700 Mbps using WiFi as I should have at least 1.2Gbps

Thanks in advance! :)

I wonder what you get with the ISP router NOT in Bridge Mode and the AX86U double NATted with the ISP router.

OE

I wonder what you get with the ISP router NOT in Bridge Mode and the AX86U double NATted with the ISP router.

OE
It's the same as letting the ISP Router in Bridge mode and plugging my computer? If so I achieve 2/2.1 Gbps on bridge mode directly to computer. Didn't do that earlier for security reason but I finally did it temporarly just to do a speedtest

Does the above mean you're running the test directly on the router? Via the Adaptive QoS, Internet Speed page?

If so, I would not expect it to show anywhere near 2.2Gbps (the CPU is too weak for that possibility).

As for the slow wireless speeds.

What firmware is on the router? What settings past defaults have you changed on it?

Was the wireless working as expected before, or is this a new router?

How did you set the router up? Minimally and manually? Or did you use a saved backup config file?

It's the same as letting the ISP Router in Bridge mode and plugging my computer? If so I achieve 2/2.1 Gbps on bridge mode directly to computer. Didn't do that earlier for security reason but I finally did it temporarly just to do a speedtest

Sorry I don't understand what you wrote.

I was suggesting this:

ISP router in Router Mode <wire> AX86U in Router Mode

Run onboard speed test on the AX86U.

OE

Does the above mean you're running the test directly on the router? Via the Adaptive QoS, Internet Speed page?

If so, I would not expect it to show anywhere near 2.2Gbps (the CPU is too weak for that possibility).

As for the slow wireless speeds.

What firmware is on the router? What settings past defaults have you changed on it?

Was the wireless working as expected before, or is this a new router?

How did you set the router up? Minimally and manually? Or did you use a saved backup config file?
Hey! Thanks for the answer! So to answer:

- Router is on latest firmware (386.4)
- I have separated 5ghz/2.4Ghz. Setted my own DNS (1.1.1.1) + IPv6 passtrhough + Firewall on with allowlist + AMTM installed with both pixelserv + Diversion
- Before having FTTH I was on FTTLa (So Fiber with coax end) (Plan was 1Gbps/60Mbps) and I was at 800Mbps with the exact same WiFi configuration. The router is like one year old now. I've setted up the router manually. Have a backup but never used it. Have all my settings in a file in order to re-enter them manually

Thank you!

Sorry I don't understand what you wrote.

I was suggesting this:

ISP router in Router Mode <wire> AX86U in Router Mode

Run onboard speed test on the AX86U.

OE
I though your test was to see if my ISP Router throttle the 2.5 port on Bridge mode. So I connected my PC directly to the ISP on bridge mode and I achieved 2.1/2.2Gbps. So definitely something seems wrong with the router + 2.5Gbe + WiFi :/

From Post 6, above.

Answer?

Sorry forgot to answer this part. Yep I'm testing it exactly with that. So ok for this part but I should have better speed when doing the speedtest on my PC via WiFi as it doesn't have any bottleneck (R7 3700X + 32Go RAM + AX200 160Mhz with Link Speed of 2.4Gbps on 5Ghz)

There is something wrong with your setup. When Tim tested the RT-AX86U he was able to get 1000Mbps WAN to WLAN throughput using an AX200 connected at only 80MHz.

Test setup:

Make sure QoS and AiProtection are disabled when doing your WiFi test.

There is something wrong with your setup. When Tim tested the RT-AX86U he was able to get 1000Mbps WAN to WLAN throughput using an AX200 connected at only 80MHz.

Test setup:

Make sure QoS and AiProtection are disabled when doing your WiFi test.

Hey! You're my man! Just disabled AiProtection and now I just got 1.4 Gbps on WiFi :D !! Still way better than before, that was my goal speed. Great confirmation that now cable can be throw away ^^. Just sad that AiProtection took half of the bandawidth, would have rather not want to choose between security or speed but I think I prefer speed haha

Last edited:
@L&LD

Hey bud,

See you are still active + spreading value everywhere!

RQ, based on ASUS’s current router offering what is their best router for wireless range, throughput (has to be AES optimised)?

Still the AX86U?

Do u have any tests on ax68u vs ax86u?
TY

Last edited:
Yes, today, the RT-AX86U still has the best balance of performance, features, throughput, range, and stability. And at the best price.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

For mere range (though I wouldn't buy this as a main 'router' today), the RT-AC3100 would be the one to consider (from a garage sale, etc.).

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

At a greatly discounted price today, the RT-AX88U may be a more modern equivalent, but I would first consider a wired backhaul AiMesh solution instead (yes, a second RT-AX86U or a second RT-AX68U 'matched' to the main router). More expensive, but much more stable, with more throughput (2x RT-AX86U's) and less latency overall too.

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

Yes, today, the RT-AX86U still has the best balance of performance, features, throughput, range, and stability. And at the best price.

Current Order of Recommended Routers Late 2021

Report - 2x RT-AX68U upgrade over 2x RT-AC86U in wireless backhaul mode

RT-AX86U vs. RT-AX88U

For mere range (though I wouldn't buy this as a main 'router' today), the RT-AC3100 would be the one to consider (from a garage sale, etc.).

RT-AC3100 Report https://www.snbforums.com/threads/s...-go-with-the-rt-ac1900p-v3.34748/#post-281391

At a greatly discounted price today, the RT-AX88U may be a more modern equivalent, but I would first consider a wired backhaul AiMesh solution instead (yes, a second RT-AX86U or a second RT-AX68U 'matched' to the main router). More expensive, but much more stable, with more throughput (2x RT-AX86U's) and less latency overall too.

RT-AX88U Upgrade https://www.snbforums.com/threads/b...ta-is-now-available.60037/page-31#post-531024

ty for advice @L&LD ,

will be getting 2x ax86u to be used in mesh mode, replacing my 2x ac86u + 1x ac68u in mesh mode

based on your advice + general reading, appears those two routers would have substantially more range, throughput + VPN speed than my previous 3 routers

ty for advice @L&LD ,

will be getting 2x ax86u to be used in mesh mode, replacing my 2x ac86u + 1x ac68u in mesh mode

based on your advice + general reading, appears those two routers would have substantially more range, throughput + VPN speed than my previous 3 routers

@L&LD ,

If I am going to be using an ax86u as the main router + ax86u as a mesh node, is there any point in getting the ax86u for the second node over an ax86s (around $75 cheaper)?

Throughput + range should be identical, no?

The benefit of using identical routers is that you always have a potential backup router in case the main one goes down. But if you want to save $75 today (to me, not worth the few dollars), the RT-AX86S may be enough in your environment.

The range may be marginally better over an RT-AC86U, but the VPN (AES) speeds will be identical (they are using the same clock speeds), but the throughput of the RT-AX86U will be noticeably better (see the links in my post above).

The throughput improvements, stability, and reliability of the router shouldn't matter depending on which region you're in in the world. The bigger difference is the wireless network environments (in total), between the networks I've given you links to, to yours.

ty for advice @L&LD ,

Hmmmm And I think my one AC68U is fine lol Then again I'm plugged in via wire and not wifi and ISP is 350/10

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!