What's new

Slow wifi file transfer speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raptor7

New Around Here
Hi, i have recently brought a netgear jnr 1010 wireless router now this is capable upto 150n.

in my network i have a laptop and my pc both of them connect at 150mbps and both are about 10 steps away from the router

my problem is that when i transfer files between pc and the laptop i get speed between 1.75MBps to 2.50MBps why is it so low, i have seen on many threads that a 150mbps connection can get upto 5MBps so what is wrong here please help me

Hi, i have recently brought a netgear jnr 1010 wireless router now this is capable upto 150n.

in my network i have a laptop and my pc both of them connect at 150mbps and both are about 10 steps away from the router

my problem is that when i transfer files between pc and the laptop i get speed between 1.75MBps to 2.50MBps why is it so low, i have seen on many threads that a 150mbps connection can get upto 5MBps so what is wrong here please help me

Also 150mbps connections is that 150mbps TX (transmit) 150mbps RX (receive)

These rates of speeds varies.. 802.11n 300mbps is 150mbps TX and 300mbps RX again speeds will vary. These are rated speeds of what the chipset can do. But actually speeds will again vary.

Notice: If your on Windows 8 PC try disabling the DVD player. Then try transfers again. Seems to be a glitch with transfers and Windows 8 OS.

thanks tipstr for your reply,

its tx 150mbps and rx 150mbps, and im on win 7 on both laptop and my pc, i have a 150mbps only router on 2.4ghz and also switched to channel 11 but still the same speed and also there are no wifi routesr or access points in the neighbourhood i am the only one who has a wifi here,

but dont know why im getting upto 2.5MBps,

Do you measure the same speed when transferring in both directions?

If both the laptop and PC are Wi-Fi enabled, be sure to disable the Wi-Fi adapter on the one that is Ethernet connected.

Yes I have exactly done the same thing on the laptop the wifi is off only lan is enabled..is the 2.5MBps speed normal for 150n. I get the same speed I.e from 2.03MBps to 2.50MBPs..

It seems low for the conditions you describe, i.e. same room, no other networks operating.

Are you transferring large files (100's of MB) or folders of small files?

Transferring folders of small files adds a lot of overhead that can result in
slow throughput.
Do you get the same throughput if you transfer the files in the opposite direction

It seems low for the conditions you describe, i.e. same room, no other networks operating.

Are you transferring large files (100's of MB) or folders of small files?

Transferring folders of small files adds a lot of overhead that can result in
slow throughput.
Do you get the same throughput if you transfer the files in the opposite direction

Yes I get the same speed in both directions, I transfer 500mb movies and backup data about 3gb.. is the speed normal or is something wrong I even changed the channel from 6 to 1 to11 to12 but am getting the same speed 2.5MBps...

As I said, the throughput seems low for the conditions you describe.

What do you measure if both computers are connected via Ethernet.

You may need to try another router, N300 class.

no ethernet as of now... my laptop and pc is connected via wifi now and there is one wall between the router and the computers, maybe its the fault of the atheros ar9285 chipset that is on the laptop and also the pc...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!