What's new

Small office LAN - Clear Modem

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Latvian

Occasional Visitor
Hi everyone,

I have a small office which has an Ethernet wall outlet in every room in addition to a patch panel in one of the rooms. I am not really sure what is the purpose of the patch panel but I am assuming that it connects all the ethernet walla jacks together. I have also a Clear Model which is a type of wireless broadband modem. Is it possible for me to connect the Clear Modem to the patch panel and start receiving the internet on each of the ethernet jacks or do I have some sort of a switch to be able to do that?

Thanks in advance.

you really need some basic IT help!

The panel/rack should have in it in addition to the patch panel, an ethernet switch. Say 16 port or however many cat5 cables run out. Then a switch port connects to your router which in an office setting needs to be carefully selected to have the proper management mechanisms and firewall protections. Then, the switch connects to your internet service provider's device, be that T1, T3, metro-Ethernet, or some consumer-like service like DSL or cable modem.
Clear modem isn't a term I know. I hope it's not a Clearwire WiMax modem - that won't do.

you don't want to hack this together if you lack IT skills... there are serious firewall/security things to do correctly for even a small business with customer/client and HR/payroll information assurance issues to deal with. Even if you have a 3 person office!

Last edited:
you really need some basic IT help!

The panel/rack should have in it in addition to the patch panel, an ethernet switch. Say 16 port or however many cat5 cables run out. Then a switch port connects to your router which in an office setting needs to be carefully selected to have the proper management mechanisms and firewall protections. Then, the switch connects to your internet service provider's device, be that T1, T3, metro-Ethernet, or some consumer-like service like DSL or cable modem.
Clear modem isn't a term I know. I hope it's not a Clearwire WiMax modem - that won't do.

you don't want to hack this together if you lack IT skills... there are serious firewall/security things to do correctly for even a small business with customer/client and HR/payroll information assurance issues to deal with. Even if you have a 3 person office!

Thank you very much for your reply. I am actually an Oracle dba myself and I haven't touched networks in 10 years now and it could have been enough if you told me, yes, the only thing u need is a switch with a certain level of security!... Thanks anyway...