What's new

Smart Connect rule steering values. Please explain.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

neil0311

OK, I will admit what I'm about to ask may seem dumb to some. That's fine. I called Asus Support and asked them, and the experience may have been the worst I've ever experienced. It was like the guy who barely spoke English was answering questions I didn't ask and ignoring the ones I did ask.

Anyway....here goes.

I have 3 RT-AX88U Pro units setup in a mesh. Some of you may have seen other threads I've started. I am planning to setup VLANs but at this point everything is connected to a single SSID using Smart Connect, so bear with me as this is a vanilla configuration. Have not changed the Smart Connect rule and the channel settings are all set to auto. 2.4GHz band is on 20 MHz and 5GHz band has 160 MHz enabled.

What I don't get is why I have a device that seems to stubbornly stay on 5GHz despite an RSSI value of -90dBm.

In the Smart Connect rule, I'm also not understanding why the steering conditions are setup with 2.4GHz as "Greater than -62dBm" while 5GHz is setup as "Less than -82dBM" but in either case, shouldn't a client currently on 5GHz with an RSSI of -90dBm be steered to 2.4GHz based on the rule.

Can anyone explain the steering settings and what they actually mean and why I'm not seeing steering of the client on 5GHz that's at -90dBm?

Last edited:
at this point everything is connected to a single SSID using Smart Connect,

same SSIDs (per band)... two of them

What I don't get is why I have a device that seems to stubbornly stay on 5GHz despite an RSSI value of -90dBm.

What device? Could be any reason. Do most wireless clients behave?

In the Smart Connect rule, I'm also not understanding why the steering conditions are setup with 2.4GHz as "Greater than -62dBm" while 5GHz is setup as "Less than -82dBM" but in either case, shouldn't a client currently on 5GHz with an RSSI of -90dBm be steered to 2.4GHz based on the rule.

I have never adjusted the SC rules. I doubt they are responsible for your one client preferring 5.0 at any distance.

OE

I have never adjusted the SC rules. I doubt they are responsible for your one client preferring 5.0 at any distance.

OE
Yes. I understand it’s the same SSID value across two separate networks.

It’s a wireless camera. My next move is an IOT VLAN and set to 2.4. I just wanted to see the Smart Connect and wanted to set everything up on one network to start.

OE
Can you also demystify why one frequency is set to “less than” and the other is set to “greater than” in the steering filter part of the rule? That makes no sense to me.

Can you also demystify why one frequency is set to “less than” and the other is set to “greater than” in the steering filter part of the rule? That makes no sense to me.

Sorry, I've never looked at the SC rules... they always strike me as piling on more variables than I have knowledge of and/or the ability to determine cause and affect with various clients in variable radio space... probably why they are never discussed here.

OE

Last edited:
Sorry, I've never looked at the SC rules... they always strike me as piling on more variables than I have knowledge of and/or the ability to determine cause and affect with various clients in variable radio space... probably why they are never discussed here.

OE
Yeah, kind of my issue now. Thanks for the article but unfortunately was the first thing I read.

I think my plan is to create a VLAN for IOT using 2.4GHz and connect everything else to 5 GHz and call it a day.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!