What's new

Smart Connect steering towards 5Ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lord_Vader

Regular Contributor
Hi folks,

been trying for a long time to get my RT-AC86U to steer clients more towards 5Ghz. I think Smart Connect is very, very under-explained by Asus... I've read a LOT of post on SNBForums and I get wiser sometimes, confused the more...:eek:

Anyhow, would someone care to look at my settings if they're alright or open for improvements?

Thanks!
Screenshot 2020-08-24 at 10.58.09.png

I know the feeling - extensive reading and coming away more confused.

IMHO, SC settings are specific to your environment and client placement. There is no one set of settings that works for everyone. Most people think it doesn't work because the results, but a signal levels and client nuances makes it difficult.

Start with default
read (and understand) this partially helpful guide
let all your clients settle in
Dont move your clients around while testing and learning what your settings need to be
Go to your wireless setting page
focus on those clients that you think are on the wrong band (and focus on those devices that dont move -TVs, roku, firestick, desktop, other IOT devices.
Compare signal level vs. SC setting
Reread the 'missing manual' document again
try toggling radio on device you think is on the wrong band - sometimes steering doesn't happen right away.
Look at signal levels again, adjust SC settings up/own so they are +/- 3-4db of the steering threshold for those devices on the threshold
Once you think have you SC settings for the locations of your (mostly) stationary devices, now start moving around with your phones, tablets and laptops, repeat

Be careful not to move a threshold too high where you force maintain a very weak 5GHZ signal when you'd have performance on 2.4. Likewise, dont set your 2.4 too low where nothing will stay connected to it.

YMMV, not every device will be perfect.... but for for ME, I want my streaming devices on 5GHz, even the one I have far away (~73db) because its my primary and don't want the 2.4ghz congestion.

AI Mesh adds some complexity too, I assume you don't have that setup. (I do)

I realize this is an old post, but it's one of the best I could find related to my question. I'm currently trying out using 5 GHz smart connect, with AI mesh, with two XT8's, one router and one node. I really want to use the 5ghz-2 band as much as possible, but I would like to have the 5ghz-1 available in smart connect as a fallback, especially if there are any DFS events on 5ghz-2. Some I'm wondering what the best settings are to achieve this? Basically I'd like almost all of my devices to use 5-2 unless they are not compatible with 5-2, there is a DFS event, or they are really out of range for 5-2. I wouldn't mind if some devices stayed connected to 5-1, but I would really like to use 5-2 for devices that move around like phones. 5-2 seems much faster than 5-1, especially on 160 mhz. Currently, my phone always wants to connect to 5-1 instead of 5-2. Any ideas on how I can fix this, and still use smart connect? Also, I'm having a difficult time getting the smart connect settings to "disabled." The slider does not want to go all the way to the left to show "disabled." Is there some trick to get it there? Do I need to do it on a computer? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Never had Smart Connect not shift a client that supports 5GHz to 5GHz with the default settings.

I don't have any XT8's, but these are the settings I have for my 86U. It may serve as a template, just substitute your 5-2 for the 2.4 and adjust to suit.
Smart Connect settings.png

These settings keep my stuff on the 5ghz until the signal degrades then kicks them over to the 2.4. When the device gets close enough it is kicked over to the 5ghz.

Never had Smart Connect not shift a client that supports 5GHz to 5GHz with the default settings.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm trying to steer most devices to high band 5ghz-2 from 5ghz-1. I'm using dual band smart connect with 5ghz only (5ghz-1 & 5ghz-2) and not with 2.4ghz. The default settings weren't working for me. But after a lot of guess and check, these settings seem to be working (screenshot). But I don't understand why for "Interface Select and Qualify Procedures" the "Bandwidth Utilization" needs to be at 0% for both bands (5ghz-1 & 5ghz-2). After checking the "missing manual," it says "STAs meeting the STA selection policy criteria for the radio will be steered to the first target if that radio's Bandwidth Utilization is LESS than the set value." In other words, 0% = radio is not in use. So wouldn't you want to put it high so that it will usually steer STAs that meet the criteria? Thanks again for any help!

I don't have any XT8's, but these are the settings I have for my 86U. It may serve as a template, just substitute your 5-2 for the 2.4 and adjust to suit. View attachment 39753
These settings keep my stuff on the 5ghz until the signal degrades then kicks them over to the 2.4. When the device gets close enough it is kicked over to the 5ghz.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I'm trying to steer most devices to high band 5ghz-2 from 5ghz-1. I'm using dual band smart connect with 5ghz only (5ghz-1 & 5ghz-2) and not with 2.4ghz. The default settings weren't working for me. But after a lot of guess and check, these settings seem to be working (screenshot). But I don't understand why for "Interface Select and Qualify Procedures" the "Bandwidth Utilization" needs to be at 0% for both bands (5ghz-1 & 5ghz-2). After checking the "missing manual," it says "STAs meeting the STA selection policy criteria for the radio will be steered to the first target if that radio's Bandwidth Utilization is LESS than the set value." In other words, 0% = radio is not in use. So wouldn't you want to put it high so that it will usually steer STAs that meet the criteria? Thanks again for any help!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-184956.png
    Screenshot_20220223-184956.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 230

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-184956.png
    Screenshot_20220223-184956.png
    80.2 KB · Views: 205
I don't have any XT8's, but these are the settings I have for my 86U. It may serve as a template, just substitute your 5-2 for the 2.4 and adjust to suit. View attachment 39753
Thank you for the screenshot! I tried with the signal settings and couldn't get it to work well. Strangely though, with the settings in my screenshot and the Roaming Assistant settings set to -65, my devices now seem to be mostly sticking to 5ghz-2 (which is what I want) and seem to switch pretty well been router and node (which is also what I want). We'll see if it continues working. I just don't understand the details of the logic.

I think the Roaming Assistant setting screws with Smart Connect, it is too broad a setting. It should be either or.

Disable it and let the Smart Connect do it's thing.

For the Steering Trigger Condition flip the PHY Rates. For the 5-1 do 800 greater and 850 less for the 5-2. This will trigger the switchover when the signal gets weak. Adjust to suit.

Then for the STA Selection Policy flip it the other way: 5-1 do 850 less and 5-2 800 greater. What this will do is lock in any device to the 5-2 upon connection/reconnect if the PHY is strong enough, otherwise it will kick over to the 5-1. Again adjust to suit.

Thank you! I will give this a try. I'm not sure I understand it yet, especially since it seems to be working with my current settings. But hopefully it will work better with your suggestions.

The whole greater than/less than takes a bit to get used to. I had to look it up when I first started playing with Smart Connect. Sadly it was not something I used for some time (and old age) ;)

For example, 10>4 (10 is greater than 4) or 2<12 (2 is less than 12).

Inversely -64>-85 (-64 is greater than -85) or -103<-23 (-103 is smaller than -23)

If you don't need clients to be able to use 2.4 Ghz then create an SSID for clients that you only want on 5 Ghz.

Morris

Tried it and voila! It works perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!