What's new

Smb ip

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stew1411

New Around Here
I have a RT-N16 with an external HDD attached that has all my movies. I cannot get my windows 7 PC to connect. My android tab can. On my tab, I opened the file manager, hit add server, and typed the IP. The address my tab uses is smb://192.168.2.1. It works fine. All movies stream. I cannot map the drive in windows 7 though. I've tried every variant of \\RT-N16 I can think of. FTP only let's me download files. Is there a way to connect windows 7 to the drive like I did my tab using a smb IP address?

Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using Tapatalk

In Windows, the correct UNC syntax would be like this:

Code:
\\192.168.2.1

This must be done in a File Explorer window, it probably won't work in a browser window.

In Windows, the correct UNC syntax would be like this:

Code:
\\192.168.2.1

This must be done in a File Explorer window, it probably won't work in a browser window.

So could I go into map network drive and do that?

Type it in to either EI or a File Explorer window (in Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8) to verify that it works and once confirmed, you can map it then.

So could I go into map network drive and do that?

Once you are seeing available shares by using this URN, you can then map any network drive you wish from that window, yes.

Once you are seeing available shares by using this URN, you can then map any network drive you wish from that window, yes.

Cool. I wasn't pointing it to the movies folder. My android tab just needed the IP and could see all folders. To map the drive, I needed to point windows to the specific folder. Thanks for the help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk