What's new

[SOLVED] What are the differences between RMerlin's and john9527's firmwares?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RypeDub

Regular Contributor
Why does john9527's fork need to exist?

Can't we have one major firmware with enhancements, features and code from both firmwares, inside one super mega firmware?

Or, is it that john9527 keeps the older firmware updated, while RMerlin releases updates for the latest firmware?

There is just so much info out there.

Than you.

On RMerlin's firmware, I have a few questions:

1.) Does it support the RT-N66R router, in the form of the RT-N66R firmware?

2.) Does it support OverClocking the SoC?

3.) Does it support boosting the TX Output from 80mW to 200mW?

On RMerlin's firmware, I have a few questions:

1.) Does it support the RT-N66R router, in the form of the RT-N66R firmware?

2.) Does it support OverClocking the SoC?

3.) Does it support boosting the TX Output from 80mW to 200mW?
No, no, and I’m not sure but I don’t think so. You could use the legacy 380 code though.

Well I’ll admit that name and picture made me laugh.

@RypeDub be aware the 380 legacy release will receive no further updates. Whether that matters is up to you and your use case, but just a thought.

Looks like I'm sticking with john9527's fork for the long haul!
I thought open vpn wasnt working correctly in johns fw??

I thought open vpn wasnt working correctly in johns fw??
Only one specific piece....multiple login to the VPN Server when using Username/Password authentication. Something really strange with the DoT code (even if DoT isn't being used).

Works fine with just certs for authentication.

While there's some development making it across both firmware, we both have different global goals. John focuses on older code, and will make more drastic changes over time when he wishes to do so. In my case, I stay closer to Asus's latest code to be able to remain in sync with them, which means I no longer support older models, and I try to avoid any major code changes (OpenVPN being the one exception, but it's a complicated story).

John supports DoT and DNSCrypt, I support Trend Micro's DPI-related features and have enhanced system log pages. We both have a few unique features like that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!