What's new

[SOLVED] What is Asuswrt-merlin access IP? 192.168.1.1 does NOT work.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SkOrPn

Occasional Visitor
I can't access the GUI on my new RT-AC66U-B1 any more.

It's a new RT-AC66U-B1 (I'm the winner of this months router giveaway, B1 with A1 hardware). On stock fw I had no trouble at all, and then I flashed merlin 380_68, and immediately after I had no trouble accessing the router UI. I set it up for the first time, added my PPPoE account info, setup the wireless as usual, and everything was great and all computers and wireless devices were working. I then realized I forgot to turn off the C1000A radios (oh crap), so I did a reset on the modem but for some reason the reset didn't take, but when I put it back as the modem the network and internet was working just fine still, voip works, my NAS works, seems everything is working except for the Asus merlin gui itself. So, now when I try "http://192.168.1.1" nothing at all happens. Just busy until the browser says it can't access.

Any ideas? Does merlin use a different IP address? Was there something else I was supposed to do in the merlin firmware right away?

Again, hardware is Asus RT-AC66U-B1 (A1 hardware revision), using merlin AC68U firmware 380_68.

Thanks for any ideas. My access computer is a Ubuntu 16.04 LTS based distro (KDE neon to be exact). Chrome and Firefox do not access the router. Reboots do nothing. 192.168.1.1 just dead?

Rod

EDIT: OMG, the access IP changed to 192.168.50.1? I figured this out using the Asus android app, LOL.

Nope, work here
:/ Well of course it would work on yours, LOL because I wasn't asking why it wasn't working on your router, I was asking why it wasn't working on mine. ;)

So, yeah I figured it out as I stated above, the user interface IP changed automatically to 192.168.50.1, so now I don't have any devices assigned to 1.1, so that was why it didn't work. I didn't realize it was going to automatically change after already setting everything up (would have been nice to know that before hand). None the less, that seems sketchy to me, but everything works just fine and I'm perfectly ok with the new IP address. I just never seen anything like that before. Before the merlin flash it was 192.168.1.1 and after the flash but only after the PPP0E setup its now 192.168.50.1. Just weird IMO...

Since the router automatically set itself up as PPPoE all by itself without asking me anything, except for the ppp credentials, maybe its a new feature of the new firmware when connecting to CrapturyLink? LOL

So, yeah I figured it out as I stated above, the user interface IP changed automatically to 192.168.50.1, so now I don't have any devices assigned to 1.1, so that was why it didn't work. I didn't realize it was going to automatically change after already setting everything up (would have been nice to know that before hand).

Check either the sticker under your router or on the box. This is something Asus recently changed for some models. They will then provide the new default IP on a sticker, or at least refer you to router.asus.com.

Check either the sticker under your router or on the box. This is something Asus recently changed for some models. They will then provide the new default IP on a sticker, or at least refer you to router.asus.com.

Yeah weird, it does NOT show me the IP on the bottom sticker. Just the model, and wireless names etc, but no IP, no router password nothing like that. It is the RT-AC66U_B1 that Tim Higgins had the giveaway for here, but it clearly looks like a brand new router, even says built in 2016. Lol, but no IP address. That's funny it tells you when it was built, but not more pertinent info like IP access address, haha. Go figure...

EDIT: What I don't understand is why did 192.168.1.1 work fine until AFTER I connected the modem to it? The IP of the router just changed to 192.168.50.1 all by itself. How is that possible, and why is that possible???

Last edited:
I just noticed that even the retail box does NOT give me any IP access address. ONLY the included quick guide inside the box gives me http://router.asus.com, and that did NOT work when I tried it because the IP had automatically changed. I find this VERY strange, like a glitch in the matrix :/

Dit you put the IP address on automatic or static
In first case. As soon you connect does it seems it get a dhcp response from somewhere ( probably modem ) so it assigns you the 50 range
It is a possible solution but it could be anything If it is set on automatic ( dhcp is providing something from somewhere)
Same as for mine. Mine is in the 0 range. So I set it manual to a fixed ip as repeater and never got a problem that it suddenly changed. Site note. Router.asus does not work for me eather as there is no dns to resolve to local ip behind a firewall xd

Greets from PowerChaos
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Dit you put the IP address on automatic or static
In first case. As soon you connect does it seems it get a dhcp response from somewhere ( probably modem ) so it assigns you the 50 range
It is a possible solution but it could be anything If it is set on automatic ( dhcp is providing something from somewhere)
Same as for mine. Mine is in the 0 range. So I set it manual to a fixed ip as repeater and never got a problem that it suddenly changed. Site note. Router.asus does not work for me eather as there is no dns to resolve to local ip behind a firewall xd

No, the manufacturer sets the IP themselves, and Asus uses 192.168.1.1. I never set it when I got it because I left it stock as it came. When I installed the Router I just did what I have done in the past, I turned it on, then I entered my PPPoE credentials and then I enjoyed the new network. 192.168.50.1 just came out of nowhere after the first reboot after setting up my wireless networks for the first time. 192.168.1.1 was used for the first ten minutes or so and then suddenly it was 192.168.50.1.

So your guess is as good as mine because I was never once asked if I wanted the stock IP to be changed. It just became that way on its own after the initial setup and reboot :/ I truly wish I understood why, but I do not. Maybe I accidentally clicked on something while I wasn't looking, but I seriously doubt that. I think the modem+router must have communicated the change for some reason. But again I wish I knew...

Quick question, does it matter? Should I manually put it back on the stock IP perhaps of 192.168.1.1? Or is the automated change OK?

The change is ok
As long it is a local IP address
You got 3 private ranges
The 2 best known and most used are 192.168.*.* and 10.*.*.*
There is also a range between 172 - 178 but I don't know it out of my head

Those are the private ranges and it doesn't Mather what ip you use as long that all clients use the same range or subnet else they can't communicate with each other 192.168.1.* and subnet mask 255.255.255.0 means only the .1 range can be seeing. If you use 255.255.224 then 192.168.10.1 can also be seeing ( only as reference values could be wrong )
So as long it is in private range your fine xd

Greets from PowerChaos
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

The odd thing here is that 192.168.50.1 is used as the default IP for the RT-N300 - all other models should default to 192.168.1.1, unless they're factory set to a different IP at manufacturing time, in which case the IP will be written either on the box or on a sticker.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter now. Feel free to use whichever IP range you'd like. The nice thing in NOT using 192.168.1.0/24 is that it reduces the risks of conflict with other networks if you use VPN tunnels between two locations. That's actually why personally I use 192.168.10.0/24 at home.

@PowerChaos and RMerlin,

Thanks guys for the confidence of it being OK.

Yeah RMerlin, it is very odd and I wish I knew if it was something I did, but for the life of me I don't remember anything out of the ordinary. The setup was different from the stock firmware which I went through in order to get to the interfaces so I could flash your firmware. Before and after flashing your firmware the router was 192.168.1.1, but shortly after entering the merlin firmware for the very first time I used the Reset function because I wasn't ready to connect it to my network just yet and I wanted to go through the entire process again AFTER the modem was set to bridge mode (obviously). I then set it aside until the next day. Then the next day I reorganized the modems physical position, built a custom wall mount for the router, etc and then prepared the modem for use in transparent bridging mode. That is when I reconnected this router, set it up using the stock 192.168.1.1, got into the UI, checked it out for a few minutes, and rebooted. It was at that moment I realized oh shirt, I forgot to turn off the darn modems 2.4Ghz radio, haha. So, easy enough fix, I attached my laptop to the modem directly using one short cat5e patch cable, set a static IP on the laptops ethernet port to 192.168.0.2 (since the modem is 192.168.0.1), and then I accessed the modem at 192.168.0.1 and simply turned off its radio. I then unplugged both the router and modem, and plugged them in for a full clean reboot. Then walked back to my main computer on the other side of the house and could NOT connect to the router any more. I was like What The HECK... It took me a while but after installing and using the Asus Android app I realized it had spontaneously changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.50.1 as I was walking back to my main PC.

This is why I was wondering earlier if somehow the modem and router communicated the auto change because of my unsecured access to the modem using the laptop. But after 25+ years of being a computer technician with probably over half a dozen different personal home networks in that time span I have NEVER once seen a router do that before. It was rather shocking to be honest, but my last two networks have aged so long that I thought maybe it was a new feature I never heard about. Haha... Oh well, I just love this new router and firmware so I don't care. Would be nice to know 100% for sure what happened. I am almost tempted to do it all over again using the exact same procedure I used to try and duplicate it. I mean maybe its a bug I discovered, or a new feature?

Anyway, @RMerlin thanks a ton for this awesome firmware work. It has drastically stabilized our wireless network, which before could NOT handle more than one connection without needing a reboot. Yeah that bad... A reboot once a day every day for the last 3-4 years and I somehow put up with it. Grr

Best Regards
Rod

P.S. next week I am rebuilding all my cables into CAT6. Need to dig out my old Ethernet kit because the new CAT6 cable and connectors will be here by the end of the week. woohoo! :)

Last edited:
Because the login address is not 192.168.1.1
As noted above, neither Modem line has the address 192.168.1.1, it can be 192.168.0.1 or any address according to the manufacturer’s settings or has been changed by the previous user ( may be the installation staff). Therefore, you should refer to the IP Address Modem we mentioned above.
In case of failure to access 192.168.1.1 due to modifications, you should proceed to reset your Modem. But if no knowledge of computer should not do because the reset Modem also means you have to reinstall network, or you can get help from the operator in this case. Here are some solutions that can completely help you
Why would you reply to this very old thread? It is obvious this was SOLVED OVER A YEAR AGO. It even tells you this was SOLVED in the title of the thread. Lol

Why would you reply to this very old thread? It is obvious this was SOLVED OVER A YEAR AGO. It even tells you this was SOLVED in the title of the thread. Lol

Especially as the answer given is wrong.

Very likely a reply made for spamming purposes ...... come back later and dump links etc.

Sorry my bad. Since this has been my problem, I hope nobody else has this problem in the future.

It's OK, so long you realized the mistake. I doubt you can delete it anyway.

I didn't bother looking into the issue any further, because there was no reason to and I was perfectly fine with the change. It probably happened because I put the Asus router in bridge mode. I have this feeling bridge mode made the change automatically because it knew that the external modem itself would probably keep its IP and thus can't be sharing IP's with devices. Or so I believe. I bet bridge mode always assigns a higher numbered IP automatically "assuming" that all ISP modems are using something like 192.168.0.1, thus 192.168.50.1 makes perfect sense for the router.

At any rate, using your tablet or smartphone just launch the Android/iOS Asus app. It will look for Asus routers within range and it will tell you what the IP is. At least it did for me. Good luck with your router.