What's new

Sonos and USB share on Merlin a NO GO

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bill Smith

Occasional Visitor
I have a USB stick plugged into my AC1900P which contains all my music in a folder. I had been serving this up successfully on the stock ASUS firmware. But now that I’ve installed Merlin, my Sonos can’t find it. I don’t know if I should be using media server or Samba. But Samba has worked well for me for years (using a WL520GU with Tomato) so I figure I’ll go with that. But neither seems to work. Sonos doesn’t find a media server or a share.

More interesting/frustrating is that some controls in the Merlin interface don’t respond. I can’t disable upnp media server. On the samba page I can’t enable guest login nor turn on simple sharing. Those controls simply don’t respond. While other do respond like the master browser radio button. In fact I can’t even turn off “enable share.”

I just rebooted the router and noticed the media server page says “scanning..” Not sure if that’s related. But I was having the same problems before rebooting and the router was up since last night.

Did you do a factory default reset and manual configuration after you installed Merlin? If not, do that now.

'fraid so. I've read more than one report of a messed up user interface after installing a new firmware that was fixed by a factory reset.

Assuming that does fix the interface problem check the new default protocol version for Samba. IIRC it now defaults to SMBv2 but your Sonos probably needs it to be set to SMBv1 (or SMBv1+SMBv2).

'fraid so. I've read more than one report of a messed up user interface after installing a new firmware that was fixed by a factory reset.

Assuming that does fix the interface problem check the new default protocol version for Samba. IIRC it now defaults to SMBv2 but your Sonos probably needs it to be set to SMBv1 (or SMBv1+SMBv2).
Yeah. That dropdown was also disabled. Screencapping my settings now.

So I did the factory reset on my access point too. But some options are still not responding. Such as stealth mode or anything in that section. Any ideas? I’m on an AC1900p. Are those options not supported?

Ok I’m still having all sorts of UI problems even on the main router. Still on the same “other settings” page no radio buttons work. I can’t turn on per IP monitoring. Also the location drop down doesn’t work but maybe because I can’t turn on the radio button. Kind of a bummer because these are features I installed Merlin for. Am I doing something wrong?

Press F12 to open the browser console and report any errors that are posted.

Traffic monitoring isn't a valid option in access point mode if I remember correctly. It measures WAN to LAN throughput which doesn't exist in an access point.

EDIT: I've just checked on my old N66U configured as an AP, but it's running a very old firmware. I have no problems setting the values on the Other Settings page, but as I thought the IPTraffic settings are meaningless in AP mode (because there's no Traffic Manager tab).

Last edited:
I was trying to set traffic monitoring on the router, not the access point.

Anyhow this appears to be a problem only on my iPhone safari and chrome browsers (not opera mini though). Kinda weird.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!