What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - Automated speedtests with graphs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I've had the opposite experience with my RT-AC66U_B1 in that the uploads are matching but the downloads are showing 20% less speed when compared to my ISP speed and/or a browser based test. As said in this thread, I am chalking it up to the limitation of my router.

It may help to note the ISP, paid for speeds on your RT-AC66U_B1 (which is an upgraded 'original' RT-AC68U w/1GHz dual-cores, correct)?

It may help to note the ISP, paid for speeds on your RT-AC66U_B1 (which is an upgraded 'original' RT-AC68U w/1GHz dual-cores, correct)?

Correct on the router. I have Charter/Spectrum service with speeds of 200/10.

Correct on the router. I have Charter/Spectrum service with speeds of 200/10.

Yes, those ISP (upload) speeds won't tax the router at all. ;)

I'm going to be removing ping from this script, in favour of a dedicated utility....
upload_2019-4-11_23-19-52.png

Here's my update. I agree with L&LD's general observation about 10% low with 1 caveat. Any testers times, pings, and results will can vary widely based on the targets chosen, time of day and other workloads on the pNW routing infrastructure at your ISP. Just select an alternative target in speedtest.net (one closer or further away) and it's that many more hops your packets must transverse. So if we picked the same servers as speedtest.net, we might nearly identical results.
IDK if picking the same servers as speedtest.net (or whatever test you want) is feasible or even possible.

From speedtest.net
339/19Mb/s, ping 18 ms
spdMerlin-speedtest-net-20190411.jpg
262/16Mb/s ping 80+ms
RT-AC86U capture spdMerlin-20190411.jpg

Here's my update. I agree with L&LD's general observation about 10% low with 1 caveat. Any testers times, pings, and results will can vary widely based on the targets chosen, time of day and other workloads on the pNW routing infrastructure at your ISP. Just select an alternative target in speedtest.net (one closer or further away) and it's that many more hops your packets must transverse. So if we picked the same servers as speedtest.net, we might nearly identical results.
IDK if picking the same servers as speedtest.net (or whatever test you want) is feasible or even possible.

From speedtest.net
339/19Mb/s, ping 18 ms
View attachment 17010
262/16Mb/s ping 80+ms
RT-AC86U capture View attachment 17011

I was able to choose the exact same servers as when using speedtest.net on my computer. Very different results. ;)

okay so this wont work when doing a speed test against my isp :rolleyes:, but it works for every other server.

*edited* so far the only local server i can get it to work with is a tmobile server......it works perfectly fine in automated mode*edited*

Last edited:
how much data does this actually use per run?

okay so this wont work when doing a speed test against my isp :rolleyes:, but it works for every other server.

*edited* so far the only local server i can get it to work with is a tmobile server......it works perfectly fine in automated mode*edited*
What errors are you seeing

Not sure, to be honest. I think router originating traffic bypasses traffic analyzer etc. so I'm unsure of how to track usage
Okay. Are there any preferred settings I would want to enable on.the router so this works optimally. I have only found 1 local server that works for me. And the random server mode only works so often.

Okay. Are there any preferred settings I would want to enable on.the router so this works optimally. I have only found 1 local server that works for me. And the random server mode only works so often.
My other post got flagged. Probably because I was quoting you using the t word.

What errors are you seeing?

No errors it just will say zero down and zero up and a really high ping ms number almost like it is not getting replys

One of my test came back with zero mbit down and zero up and had a ping of 4859 ms

1.1.1 is now available
Changelog:
Code:
Remove inaccurate ping graphs in favour of connmon
Improve figure accuracy under graphs
Add button for speedtest on demand
Change schedule to 12 and 42 past

Please run u twice to get the new WebUI page

1.1.1 is now available
Changelog:
Code:
Remove inaccurate ping graphs in favour of connmon
Improve figure accuracy under graphs
Add button for speedtest on demand
Change schedule to 12 and 42 past

Please run u twice to get the new WebUI page

I ran U twice and also force updated but I dont get the new ping graphs Jack on an AC5300 using 384.10.2
Maybe I need to wait after 42 past? Its now 47 past still no ping graphs - graphs still at 9:10 - have refreshed page - still same - also ran - run speedtest now button. sppedtest ran ok but no ping graphs or ping message info

Last edited:
Same here after updating by using the -u option twice...Only showing Speedtest button, Last 24hrs (Download graph, Upload graph) and then last 7 days(Download graph, Upload graph).

Toggling option 5 causes the automatic script to use my chosen preferred server when running correct? If disabled it auto selects the server?