What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Trying to find out what this Jitter is, Google seems to indicate some delay in handeling the packets and that it might be bad for VoIP.
But i cant seem to find what good values are.
Searching this thread i see people with jittser of less then 1ms, i go way above that, could that indicate there is something wrong with my ISP or cabeling?
1614329723340.png

1614329796630.png

Trying to find out what this Jitter is, Google seems to indicate some delay in handeling the packets and that it might be bad for VoIP.
But i cant seem to find what good values are.
Searching this thread i see people with jittser of less then 1ms, i go way above that, could that indicate there is something wrong with my ISP or cabeling?
View attachment 31294
View attachment 31298
jitter is the latency variation reported by speedtest. it could be a busy server, you may wish to install connmon for latency/jitter testing against different hosts to confirm

jitter is the latency variation reported by speedtest. it could be a busy server, you may wish to install connmon for latency/jitter testing against different hosts to confirm
what about ntpMerlin for a different time reference? my jitter numbers dropped and stabilized when I installed it on mine...and I've emptied my trash of the screenshots I made back then.

First: enjoy the coffee ;)
Second: The first post needs an update.
Third: amtm keeps showing an update. I tried 'u' and 'uf' but it won't showing an available update (I think, the arrow is pointing the other way around). Does this have to do with the fact that I switched to the developers branch. Should I switch back (and how?).

Schermafbeelding 2021-03-12 190833.png

Last edited by a moderator:
First: enjoy the coffee ;)
Second: The first post needs an update.
Third: amtm keeps showing an update. I tried 'u' and 'uf' but it won't showing an available update (I think, the arrow is pointing towards the way around). Does this have to do with the fact that I switched to the developers branch. Should I switch back (and how?).

View attachment 31896
Yes, that is normal when you are on the develop branch. It's letting you know that your local version (left) is higher than the remote version (right).

You don't need to do anything as this is expected.

Yes, that is normal when you are on the develop branch. It's letting you know that your local version (left) is higher than the remote version (right).

How can I try the develop 4.1.2?

Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Will it revert to normal when 4.1.2 is released or do I have to do something to 'leave' the develop branch?

Dear Jack Yaz,

Thank you very much for this and connmon, both of which I like a lot.

spdMerlin stops cake-qos to produce a speedtest of the line that is not impacted by the router settings.

Merlin 386.2 offers built-in cake (Adaptive QoS/QoS/Cake).

FYI, as opposed to cake-qos, the built-in cake does impact the result of spdMerlin.

Thank you again for connmon and spdMerlin

Best regards
Wistuplu

PS: I just tested with 386.2 beta 1, and spdMerlin 4.1.1.

Okay, thanks for clarifying that. Will it revert to normal when 4.1.2 is released or do I have to do something to 'leave' the develop branch?
I believe you can run spdmerlin stable to revert or use update force to revert to the stable branch.

when 4.1.2 goes to "stable" you'll be automatically migrated back as i set the develop branch version of the script to pull from master (stable)

Dear Jack Yaz,

Thank you very much for this and connmon, both of which I like a lot.

spdMerlin stops cake-qos to produce a speedtest of the line that is not impacted by the router settings.

Merlin 386.2 offers built-in cake (Adaptive QoS/QoS/Cake).

FYI, as opposed to cake-qos, the built-in cake does impact the result of spdMerlin.

Thank you again for connmon and spdMerlin

Best regards
Wistuplu

PS: I just tested with 386.2 beta 1, and spdMerlin 4.1.1.
develop includes a fix for built-in cake

I think there's a bug or something. So I enabled autoBW. With 100% of speed option so it will use 100% speed for calculation. Sometimes it works fine (as I can see in log or when I do spdmerlin generate.) But, most of the times the download speed calculation is off . Like way off... Only on the downloads tho, never happened on the upload side. Is this a known thing?

Here's problem :
Screenshot_20210313-163422_Termius.jpg

Here's my AutoBW Settings :
SmartSelect_20210313-163453_Termius.jpg

Thanks!!

develop includes a fix for built-in cake
Can you put an option in to NOT stop the built in Merlin Cake when running speed tests? That is the reason I switched from Cake-QoS to the built in cake, I wanted to check cake’s status more than just raw ISP bandwidth.

Can you put an option in to NOT stop the built in Merlin Cake when running speed tests? That is the reason I switched from Cake-QoS to the built in cake, I wanted to check cake’s status more than just raw ISP bandwidth.
dont enable exclude from qos.

dont enable exclude from qos.
Ah, okay. I was unclear on what that option really did. I did not realize it shutdown cake during the speed tests. Makes sense!