What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I probably could delete /tmp/qos too when Cake or T.QoS are stopped, however it's still a problem if something causes that script to be run even if QoS is not enabled. qos_enable and qos_type should be checked if any script intends to do anything related to QoS.

What it looks like on the surface is that spdMerlin will attempt to active any/all possible QoS types if they have any artifacts on the router. If Adaptive QoS is enabled but the /tmp/qos script still exists because the router hasn’t required a reboot, then spdMerlin will activate both.

Probably need some handling of these 3 scenarios:
  1. Adaptive QoS Enabled (qos_enable=1, qos_type=1): run the iptables whitelist commands.
  2. Traditional, BWL or Cake QoS Enabled (qos_enable=1, qos_type != 1): run /tmp/qos stop/start.
  3. Legacy CakeQOS-Merlin enabled (qos_enable=0, cake-qos script exists): cake-qos stop/start.
I mean, those changes are on the develop branch....use at your own risk :)
I'll put a fix out this morning, thanks

Have had this happen for the second time now....I have my wan and a VPN connection that I let spdmerlin test....

Mar 29 18:42:01 RT-AX86U-B330 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using using auto-selected server for WAN interface
Mar 29 18:42:31 RT-AX86U-B330 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 669.05 Mbps (data used: 674.2 MB) - Upload: 470.43 Mbps (data used: 776.9 MB)
Mar 29 18:42:31 RT-AX86U-B330 spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 2.10 ms (0.32 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: Not available.
Mar 29 18:42:31 RT-AX86U-B330 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using using auto-selected server for VPNC3 interface
Mar 29 18:49:59 RT-AX86U-B330 hostapd: eth7: STA c6:1f:98:97:ae:c9 IEEE 802.11: associated

You can see where the results for the VPN didn't happen.....and when that happens, it doesn't log anything for both tests....

spdmerlin.jpg

I appreciate that it couldn't save anything for the VPNC3, but why didn't it save the result for the WAN?

And, any idea why it may not have completed for the vpn without any kind of messaging / errors thrown up in the log?

Quick update, the next run completed successfully, and after it had, the result was showing for 18:42 for WAN, with the VPN basically showing an hour gap between tests.

Last edited:
Newbie here that is still learning and not too clever on these things although I like to play.

I'm running 384.18 and trying to install spdMerlin. Have got in to my rt-ac86u using Putty and ran the command and get

spdMerlin: Welcome to spdMerlin v4.1.1, a script by JackYaz

spdMerlin: Checking your router meets the requirements for spdMerlin

spdMerlin: No Swap file detected!

spdMerlin: Entware not detected!

spdMerlin: Requirements for spdMerlin not met, please see above for the reason(s)

Press enter to continue...

Have googled the errors and not really seen a basic explanation of what I need to do. Can anyone advise please?

One more piece of information - I also run a VPN and had a devils own job of getting the certificate authority to save - had to do multiple JFFS partition deletions, factory resets, flashing back to stock etc before it would take hold and even now, although it works pretty well I still have

"No Warning: You must define a Certificate Authority."

in the VPN tab (even though its working). I guess I'm trying to say that if spdMerlin uses JFFS, I'm not 100% sure mine is behaving as it should and whilst I would really like this tool, having a functioning router with VPN is more important (thats one reason I haven't updated to latest f/w also!)

Thanks all and sorry for the dumb questions but I guess everyone has to start somewhere.

Thanks!

Newbie here that is still learning and not too clever on these things although I like to play.

I'm running 384.18 and trying to install spdMerlin. Have got in to my rt-ac86u using Putty and ran the command and get

spdMerlin: Welcome to spdMerlin v4.1.1, a script by JackYaz

spdMerlin: Checking your router meets the requirements for spdMerlin

spdMerlin: No Swap file detected!

spdMerlin: Entware not detected!

spdMerlin: Requirements for spdMerlin not met, please see above for the reason(s)

Press enter to continue...

If you have amtm installed open it by logging through putty and a terminal window opens. Type

Code:
amtm
and press return. Amtm opens and will present you with a screen with fewer options than shown below:

2021-03-29 (1).png

You'll find an option to install Entware (mine is already installed as you can see, which change the layout of amtm) and you'll also see (near the bottom) an option to create a swap file (2 Gb, ext4).

As for you other troubles: have you ever just tried to select "Format JFFS partition at next boot" from the WebUI (Administration > System) and is "Enable JFFS custom scripts and configs" enabled? I haven't asked yet, but do you have a USB stick mounted?

Once you've set up a swapfile and installed entware, you can install spdMerlin from amtm as well.

You went through much trouble to setup a VPN client (or server?), which shouldn't be necessary at all and certainly not a reason to not install the latest (and safer) stable version.

And the only dumb question IMHO is the question that should have been but wasn't asked. Never be afraid to learn. Lots of people here willing to help.

Best regards,
Marco

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. So I have tried to install both:

When I tried to install the swapfile I get

No compatible device available to create
a swap file

When I try to install entware i get

No compatible device(s) found to install
Entware on. A USB storage device formatted
with one of these file systems is required:
ext2, ext3, ext4
Use Format disk (fd) to format FAT or NTFS
formatted devices to ext*

Am I being extremely stupid here and do I need a USB device connected??!

Regarding VPN client - as mentioned, the certificate wouldn't write to the JFFS partition (i think that is where they are kept). I had to delete the partition a couple of times, flash back to stock f/w then reinstall wrt and then it finally "stuck" - googling around i see that it isn't so unusual but mine did seem a little more temperamental than some hence my nerviousness about upgrading - does an upgrade delete the vpn settings or could it effect them?

Thanks!

EDIT: It started to work again after the fourth restart.

Hi,
please how did you fix the issue with missing Tabs? I installed spdMerlin through amtm and it destroyed all Addons except scMerlin. RT-AX86U 386.2 beta3 .. Ex. Vnstat and conmon are missing (if I remember well what was there, the ones on different pages are fine). Force updates make nothing, unistallation of spdMerlin makes nothing, restarts makes nothing. There are now only scMerlin and Help & Support which stopped to be clickable.
Thanks

1 open Diversion v4.1.12
2 open Skynet v7.2.4
3 open FlexQoS v1.2.3
5 open scribe v2.4.3
8 open nsrum v30.4.0
j1 open connmon v2.9.1
j3 open scMerlin v2.1.0
j4 open spdMerlin v4.1.1
j5 open uiDivStats v2.3.0
j6 open uiScribe v1.4.2
vn open Vnstat v1.0.0

Mar 30 14:58:29 MERLIN spdMerlin: Welcome to spdMerlin v4.1.1, a script by JackYaz
Mar 30 14:58:30 MERLIN spdMerlin: Checking your router meets the requirements for spdMerlin
Mar 30 14:58:30 MERLIN spdMerlin: Installing required packages from Entware
Mar 30 14:58:33 MERLIN spdMerlin: New version of spdstats_www.asp downloaded
Mar 30 14:58:33 MERLIN spdMerlin: Mounting spdMerlin WebUI page as user5.asp
Mar 30 14:58:58 MERLIN spdMerlin: Licenses accepted and saved to persistent storage

WebUI for connmon is available at:
WebUI page not found

Last edited:
EDIT: It started to work again after the fourth restart.

Hi,
please how did you fix the issue with missing Tabs? I installed spdMerlin through amtm and it destroyed all Addons except scMerlin. RT-AX86U 386.2 beta3 .. Ex. Vnstat and conmon are missing (if I remember well what was there, the ones on different pages are fine). Force updates make nothing, unistallation of spdMerlin makes nothing, restarts makes nothing. There are now only scMerlin and Help & Support which stopped to be clickable.
Thanks

1 open Diversion v4.1.12
2 open Skynet v7.2.4
3 open FlexQoS v1.2.3
5 open scribe v2.4.3
8 open nsrum v30.4.0
j1 open connmon v2.9.1
j3 open scMerlin v2.1.0
j4 open spdMerlin v4.1.1
j5 open uiDivStats v2.3.0
j6 open uiScribe v1.4.2
vn open Vnstat v1.0.0

Mar 30 14:58:29 MERLIN spdMerlin: Welcome to spdMerlin v4.1.1, a script by JackYaz
Mar 30 14:58:30 MERLIN spdMerlin: Checking your router meets the requirements for spdMerlin
Mar 30 14:58:30 MERLIN spdMerlin: Installing required packages from Entware
Mar 30 14:58:33 MERLIN spdMerlin: New version of spdstats_www.asp downloaded
Mar 30 14:58:33 MERLIN spdMerlin: Mounting spdMerlin WebUI page as user5.asp
Mar 30 14:58:58 MERLIN spdMerlin: Licenses accepted and saved to persistent storage

WebUI for connmon is available at:
WebUI page not found
Just had same thing, check https://www.snbforums.com/threads/addons-page-blank-386-2_beta3.71561/

Edit: (sorry missed your edit that it was working)

Hi,

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. So I have tried to install both:

When I tried to install the swapfile I get

No compatible device available to create
a swap file

When I try to install entware i get

ext2, ext3, ext4

Am I being extremely stupid here and do I need a USB device connected??!

Regarding VPN client - as mentioned, the certificate wouldn't write to the JFFS partition (i think that is where they are kept). I had to delete the partition a couple of times, flash back to stock f/w then reinstall wrt and then it finally "stuck" - googling around i see that it isn't so unusual but mine did seem a little more temperamental than some hence my nerviousness about upgrading - does an upgrade delete the vpn settings or could it effect them?

Thanks!
Sorry - just a nudge on this one....
Thanks

Sorry - just a nudge on this one....
Thanks
yes, you need a USB device connected and formatted as stated in the message output:
ext2, ext3, ext4

No intention to be pushy, but do you have any ETA on when 4.1.2 becomes stable? My OCD plays up for better part of the last to weeks, it's getting triggered every time when I check for updates and I see the output in the post above. I can't even remember why I needed to switch to development but I'm about to switch back to stable if only to get everything back in green again... :rolleyes:

DXGg4xEWsAkwnEx.jpg.pagespeed.ce.DeJJJtyZ-w.jpg

Disclaimer: I'm formally diagnosed with OCD so I feel it's completely justified to make jokes about it..

No intention to be pushy, but do you have any ETA on when 4.1.2 becomes stable? My OCD plays up for better part of the last to weeks, it's getting triggered every time when I check for updates and I see the output in the post above. I can't even remember why I needed to switch to development but I'm about to switch back to stable if only to get everything back in green again... :rolleyes:

View attachment 32686
Disclaimer: I'm formally diagnosed with OCD so I feel it's completely justified to make jokes about it..
no ETA but i am working on it.

Jack,

I've noticed whilst testing between my AX86U and AX88U, that spdmerlin tests (WAN) are excluded from QoS (cake-qos) on the AX88U but not on the AX86U. I do actually prefer it so that I can see my full speeds. I've had a quick look to see if there were any other threads regarding this but far too many results..

When the AX86U is switched back to A.QoS, the spdmerlin tests are excluded from QoS tests again.

Can you shed any light on this? Both routers had a full nuclear reset done before installing 386.2 beta3. Both have the same setup/scripts etc.

Jack,

I've noticed whilst testing between my AX86U and AX88U, that spdmerlin tests (WAN) are excluded from QoS (cake-qos) on the AX88U but not on the AX86U. I do actually prefer it so that I can see my full speeds. I've had a quick look to see if there were any other threads regarding this but far too many results..

When the AX86U is switched back to A.QoS, the spdmerlin tests are excluded from QoS tests again.

Can you shed any light on this? Both routers had a full nuclear reset done before installing 386.2 beta3. Both have the same setup/scripts etc.
Is the AX88U on the develop branch and the AX86U on the stable branch of spdMerlin?