What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you asking if Spdmerlin will still show your full throughput even though you are downloading something? If that is the question then no. Spdmerlin will only show your bandwidth speeds at the time its being ran. I run mine in the middle of the night since there should be no traffic.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was curious about. Totally makes sense that it doesn't.

It's what I've always wished for with speed tests and an active family.

Yeah, that's exactly what I was curious about. Totally makes sense that it doesn't.

It's what I've always wished for with speed tests and an active family.
"You can't push more water down a pipe if its already at max". - Bill Gates (maybe?) ;)

ha ha - figure that since it's at the router, it's the only place where you can see all ingress and egress. Speedtest fills the pipe + the other stuff = real speed.

Looking at the logs, it seems like it does take into account the entire pipe for the AutoBW portion. I assume the last line is a typo and means "upload" but otherwise seems accurate.

Code:
Dec  5 21:12:31 router spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 188.62 Mbps (data used: 268.3 MB) - Upload: 12.12 Mbps (data used: 12.8 MB)
Dec  5 21:12:31 router spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 30.58 ms (2.51 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: 0.0%
Dec  5 21:12:39 router spdMerlin: Calculated Download speed (221944) Kbps does not exceed 10% threshold of existing value (224072 Kbps)
Dec  5 21:12:39 router spdMerlin: Calculated Download speed (17091) Kbps does not exceed 10% threshold of existing value (17408 Kbps)

Hello friend.

AutoBW is doing some weird calcs:

Code:
Dec  9 22:12:01 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Evolute (Lisbon, Portugal) for WAN interface
Dec  9 22:12:21 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 480.55 Mbps (data used: 597.3 MB) - Upload: 119.37 Mbps (data used: 56.7 MB)
Dec  9 22:12:21 spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 12.86 ms (0.33 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: 0.0%
Dec  9 22:12:25 spdMerlin: Setting QoS Download Speed to 296142 Kbps (was 221184 Kbps)
Dec  9 22:12:25 spdMerlin: Calculated Upload speed (117108) Kbps does not exceed 10% threshold of existing value (114688 Kbps)

I have AutoBW to set 98% of measured download speed and 97% for measured upload...

Screenshot_20201209-222415929.png

Hello friend.

AutoBW is doing some weird calcs:

Code:
Dec  9 22:12:01 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Evolute (Lisbon, Portugal) for WAN interface
Dec  9 22:12:21 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 480.55 Mbps (data used: 597.3 MB) - Upload: 119.37 Mbps (data used: 56.7 MB)
Dec  9 22:12:21 spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 12.86 ms (0.33 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: 0.0%
Dec  9 22:12:25 spdMerlin: Setting QoS Download Speed to 296142 Kbps (was 221184 Kbps)
Dec  9 22:12:25 spdMerlin: Calculated Upload speed (117108) Kbps does not exceed 10% threshold of existing value (114688 Kbps)

I have AutoBW to set 98% of measured download speed and 97% for measured upload...

View attachment 28366
It uses the average of the last 10 results, not the last result

Is there a way to only run it once a day? There is the option of setting a start hour and an end hour. If I have for example start 2 and end 3, it will do two tests. If I set it to start 2 and end 2, it won't run the test at all, as far as I can see.

Hi! Just upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.1.1, here are my comments:
- the upgrade was launched from WUI, easy do do
any changes on WUI + save button does not reflect on WUI
previous data does not appears on WUI
This has been resolved after a manuel execution of spdmerlin on CLI !!
- very nice interface, seems a nice addition for users using QoS

Is there a way to subscribe to email notification when there is a new version of this addon ?
or setting some auto-update option ?

Also, I'm only using the WAN interfaces, no VPN...
Is there a way to NOT have display all VPN charts/results/statistics on the bottom of the WUI page ?

Thanks

Hi! I add the following script to receive an email when the current download speed is below expectations

Please note that this was a fast script writing; no fancy coding; no declared initial values. all values harcoded...
It can be easily improved by someone who knows how to code correctly.
but it does the job.

# cd /jffs/scripts

# cat spdmerlin-notification
#!/bin/sh

ROUTER_IP=$(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

LIGNE=`grep 'spdMerlin: Speedtest results' /jffs/syslog.log | tail -1`
SPEED=`echo $LIGNE | cut -f 9 -d ' ' | cut -f 1 -d '.'`

if [ $SPEED -lt 180 ] ; then
echo "From: \"$FROM_NAME\" <$FROM_ADDRESS>" > /tmp/mail.txt
echo "To: \"$TO_NAME\" <$TO_ADDRESS>" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "Subject: speedtest $SPEED Mbs : download speed from WAN below expectations on $ROUTER_IP." >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "$LIGNE" >> /tmp/mail.txt

# substitute <email> and <password> by correct values in following lines
curl --connect-timeout 15 "smtp://smtp.office365.com:587" \
-u "<email>:<password>" --mail-from "<email>" \
--mail-rcpt "<email>" -T /tmp/mail.txt --ssl --silent
rm /tmp/mail.txt
fi

# chmod 755 spdmerlin-notification
# ls -l spdmerlin-notification
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 755 Nov 10 01:52 spdmerlin-notification

By default, I have one hourly execution of spdmerlin at hh:12, so my script executes 3 minutes after that time:
Execute the following line
# cru a spdmerlin-notification "16 0-23 * * * /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin-notification"

Add that same line to /jffs/scripts/services-start
cru a spdmerlin-notification "16 0-23 * * * /jffs/scripts/spdmerlin-notification"

Hi,

Currently I am running FlexQoS and I just noticed that this has AutoBW settings. Does this work with FlexQoS?

If yes, could someone help me out on how I should be setting this up. (Note my avg dl is 230-240 range and up is about 6)

Current Qos settings:
QoS Type = Adaptive QoS
Bandwidth setting = Manual
Upload Bandwidth = 5.5
Download Bandwidth = 225

Do I need to change these (not even sure if they are set correctly really) and what should I enter in the AutoBW section of spdMerlin?

Thanks

Hi,

Currently I am running FlexQoS and I just noticed that this has AutoBW settings. Does this work with FlexQoS?

If yes, could someone help me out on how I should be setting this up. (Note my avg dl is 230-240 range and up is about 6)

Current Qos settings:
QoS Type = Adaptive QoS
Bandwidth setting = Manual
Upload Bandwidth = 5.5
Download Bandwidth = 225

Do I need to change these (not even sure if they are set correctly really) and what should I enter in the AutoBW section of spdMerlin?

Thanks

Yes the AutoBW works with FlexQoS. Your current QoS settings are fine just leave them as they are and spdMerlin will update the UL/DL Bandwith in NVRAM as required based on your AutoBW settings.

Regarding the AutoBW you can set it up to scale factor of 95% (e.g. if the average value of your last 10 scheduled (manual speed-test doesn't count for AutoBW) DL/UL speed is 100Mbps spdMerlign will set you DL/UL value to 95Mbps in the QoS settings in NVRAM) and threshold of 5% (i.e. any change that is less than 5% different compared to the current UL/DL QoS settings will not update of the values in NVRAM).

Bandwidth limit for AutoBW calculation can be left at 0 unless you experience big fluctuations of measured speeds.

Yes the AutoBW works with FlexQoS. Your current QoS settings are fine just leave them as they are and spdMerlin will update the UL/DL Bandwith in NVRAM as required based on your AutoBW settings.

Regarding the AutoBW you can set it up to scale factor of 95% (e.g. if the average value of your last 10 scheduled (manual speed-test doesn't count for AutoBW) DL/UL speed is 100Mbps spdMerlign will set you DL/UL value to 95Mbps in the QoS settings in NVRAM) and threshold of 5% (i.e. any change that is less than 5% different compared to the current UL/DL QoS settings will not update of the values in NVRAM).

Bandwidth limit for AutoBW calculation can be left at 0 unless you experience big fluctuations of measured speeds.

Thanks So this is OK, What about Threashold (last line), should that remain at 10 and 10?
brave_5aBViTLY0c.png

I don't know, I don't know what it does, I was asking @NGI if I should keep it at 10 & 10.

The way the threshold works is say your current setting of the QoS DL bandwidth is 100 Mbps in the QoS page and your threshold is set to 10% any new calculated speed (i.e. 95% of the average of the last 10 scheduled speed-tests by spdMerlin) that will be between 90 and 110 Mbps (+/-10%) will not update your QoS DL bandwidth. You can see how the calculation is done in the Syslog or from the CLI.

I've noticed recently that sometimes the speed tests skips in the log. It will just have a null value or something like ---. Does anybody else?
I don't remember it doing that in the past. I thought it might be the server so I went back to random. Still skips a set every now and again.

I've noticed recently that sometimes the speed tests skips in the log. It will just have a null value or something like ---. Does anybody else?
I don't remember it doing that in the past. I thought it might be the server so I went back to random. Still skips a set every now and again.
An idea may be to go to the syslog and look for events at the time/s your scheduled speed-test/s did not occur. This may give you some clues perhaps.

the speedtest itself could be failing - ookla's binary doesn't log that anywhere at the moment. i can take a look to see if I can capture error logging

An idea may be to go to the syslog and look for events at the time/s your scheduled speed-test/s did not occur. This may give you some clues perhaps.
I looked for that but nothing was there, although I may not know what to look for.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!