spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• ATTENTION! You'll notice a Prefix dropdown when you create a thread. If your post applies to one of the topics listed, please use that Prefix for your post. When browsing the thread list you can use the Prefix to filter the view.
  • ATTENTION! As of November 1, 2020, you are not able to reply to threads 6 months after the thread is opened if there are more than 500 posts in the thread.
    Threads will not be locked, so posts may still be edited by their authors.
    Just start a new thread on the topic to post if you get an error message when trying to reply to a thread.

JT Strickland

the speedtest itself could be failing - ookla's binary doesn't log that anywhere at the moment. i can take a look to see if I can capture error logging

Here's a screenshot from my system log. The ones that are skipped here at 18:12 and 19:12 are skipped in the GUI interface altogether. I thought it might be just skipping it in the system log for whatever reason. It's currently randomly selecting servers, but it behaved similar when I had a preferred server selected.

It's not a big deal, but it this an indication of other woes? Nothing seems to trigger it that I can see. It's just random. Sometimes a few times a day, sometimes none.
thanks,
and
Merry Christmas to All!

Screenshot_2020-12-25 System Log - enhanced by Scribe.png

yanky79

Occasional Visitor
Hello All - I had been using the older version of spdMerlin that was on the Tools page for a while and as I was updating the firmware for the router, I thought it would be a good time to update spdMerlin as well.
After some really interesting errors on SQLite, and some reading I realized that the update for spdMerlin was dependent on some new libraries, so I went back and updated entware. Finally, after some other weirdness, I decided I would remove then reinstall spdMerin and run the script (part of my issue was the license agreement) - so I got that all resolved.

I was able to successfully run a speed test from both the CLI and GUI, and the results are reported to the System log as expected; however I am not getting any of the graphing goodness - just a large font taunting me with "No data to display". As I poked around I saw that all the htm files are 0 byte and all the CSV files are also 0 byte. I am not sure why the data isn't being captured and displayed. I moved the data file to USB, and same result.

Looking at the webpage console, no real indicators, in fact the one message is:

<yellow triangle>
DevTools failed to load SourceMap: Could not load content for http://192.168.1.1/ext/shared-jy/hammer.min.js.map: HTTP error: status code 404, net::ERR_HTTP_RESPONSE_CODE_FAILURE

Here is my configuration:

WAN - Cable modem to Spectrum 200/20
RT-AC68U

spdMerlin v4.1.1

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
Go back into spdMerlin via amtm and try running 'uf' and 'u' again.

yanky79

Occasional Visitor
Go back into spdMerlin via amtm and try running 'uf' and 'u' again.
Ran both commands - and I got

uf -
<green text> spdMerlin: Downloading latest version (v4.1.1) of spdMerlin

u -
<yellow text> spdMerlin: No new version - latest is v4.1.1

same result, ran Speedtest both in CLI and GUI, not data to display and the CSVs are all 0 byte files

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
Ran both commands - and I got

uf -
<green text> spdMerlin: Downloading latest version (v4.1.1) of spdMerlin

u -
<yellow text> spdMerlin: No new version - latest is v4.1.1

same result, ran Speedtest both in CLI and GUI, not data to display and the CSVs are all 0 byte files
are the tests completing successfully?

yanky79

Occasional Visitor
are the tests completing successfully?
Yes, they are completing as expected, with valid results.

Here are the last few lines from the SysLog:
an 8 22:12:02 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Spectrum (Los Angeles, CA, United States) for WAN interface
Jan 8 22:12:23 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 176.75 Mbps (data used: 189.2 MB) - Upload: 22.06 Mbps (data used: 18.2 MB)
Jan 8 22:12:23 spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 12.65 ms (0.54 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: Not available.
Jan 8 23:12:02 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Spectrum (Los Angeles, CA, United States) for WAN interface
Jan 8 23:12:25 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 204.77 Mbps (data used: 272.4 MB) - Upload: 22.61 Mbps (data used: 18.9 MB)
Jan 8 23:12:25 spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 12.38 ms (2.07 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: Not available.

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
Yes, they are completing as expected, with valid results.

Here are the last few lines from the SysLog:
an 8 22:12:02 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Spectrum (Los Angeles, CA, United States) for WAN interface
Jan 8 22:12:23 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 176.75 Mbps (data used: 189.2 MB) - Upload: 22.06 Mbps (data used: 18.2 MB)
Jan 8 22:12:23 spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 12.65 ms (0.54 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: Not available.
Jan 8 23:12:02 spdMerlin: Starting speedtest using Spectrum (Los Angeles, CA, United States) for WAN interface
Jan 8 23:12:25 spdMerlin: Speedtest results - Download: 204.77 Mbps (data used: 272.4 MB) - Upload: 22.61 Mbps (data used: 18.9 MB)
Jan 8 23:12:25 spdMerlin: Connection quality - Latency: 12.38 ms (2.07 ms jitter) - Packet Loss: Not available.
Ok, and no errors in the console whatsoever?

Can you check when the database file was last modified please?

yanky79

Occasional Visitor
What do you see in /opt/share/spdmerlin.d?

I wonder if there's a bug with the table renaming I did in a recent version
I see a db file there, but dated from a few days ago:
1610182195440.png

When I look at the /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/csv folder, all the files have a current date - but all 0 byte files:
1610182332035.png

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
I see a db file there, but dated from a few days ago:
View attachment 29245

When I look at the /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/csv folder, all the files have a current date - but all 0 byte files:
View attachment 29246
can you run the below and let me know the output please?
Code:
sqlite3 /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/spdstats.db
PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_WAN);
Ctrl-D will get you out of the sqlite prompt afterwards

BreakingDad

Hello, don't want to sound petty, but why is there no nice icon for the Addons tab on the GUI ? My OCD says there should be one :)

BreakingDad

yanky79

Occasional Visitor
can you run the below and let me know the output please?
Code:
sqlite3 /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/spdstats.db
PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_WAN);
Ctrl-D will get you out of the sqlite prompt afterwards

Here you go @Jack Yaz :

0|StatID|INTEGER|1||1
1|Timestamp|NUMERIC|1||0
2|Download|REAL|1||0
3|Upload|REAL|1||0
4|Latency|REAL|0||0
5|Jitter|REAL|0||0
6|PktLoss|REAL|0||0
7|DataDownload|REAL|1||0
8|DataUpload|REAL|1||0

1610230834873.png

Jack Yaz

Part of the Furniture
@Jack Yaz Checking in to see if the above output was at all helpful.
sorry. please run
Code:
rm /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/tableupgraded2_*
rm /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/tableupgraded2_*
and then launch spdmerlin. Try a speedtest and let me know if the csvs populate

yanky79

Occasional Visitor
sorry. please run
Code:
rm /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/tableupgraded2_*
rm /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/tableupgraded2_*
and then launch spdmerlin. Try a speedtest and let me know if the csvs populate

I assume you mean the following code:

Code:
rm /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/.tableupgraded2_*
rm /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/.tableupgraded2_*

I just ran those commands and ran the speedtest. I now have a single data point on the graph. I also ran it from the GUI as well and it looks like it too is recording. It appears that this has fixed this issue.

Ketchup

New Around Here
Hello everyone, what am I doing wrong:
Asus AX88U - fw. Merlin 384.19 with spdmerlin-v4.11
local ISP fiber 900/150 Mbps
notebook wifi (connected to AX88U) test by browser www : 800/150 Mbps Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
AX88U by spdmerlin : 316/148 Mbps Speedtest by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test
QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Apps analisys - OFF
Each time the speeds are at least half lower. I have no idea, the cores are not overloaded - from unusual ISP settings MTU : 1480 .

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!