What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ever since updating to current version, no logging? Have reinstalled uiscribe, spdmerlin with no result. About ready to reload syslog-ng.conf, restart scribe, update filters, and reinstall (not necessarily in that order) to see if that fixes it. Any other ideas, anyone else have this?

Attachments

• Log.jpg
    Log.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 109
Ever since updating to current version, no logging? Have reinstalled uiscribe, spdmerlin with no result. About ready to reload syslog-ng.conf, restart scribe, update filters, and reinstall (not necessarily in that order) to see if that fixes it. Any other ideas, anyone else have this?
Backup, Reload syslog-ng.conf, and Restart of Scribe solved it... Going to make this my approach for every script upgrade that causes logging to freak out. Not sure why this happens, but it's either logging or the UI getting screwed up. Problem solved...

Reactions: MvW
Backup, Reload syslog-ng.conf, and Restart of Scribe solved it... Going to make this my approach for every script upgrade that causes logging to freak out. Not sure why this happens, but it's either logging or the UI getting screwed up. Problem solved...
Scribe quit logging scripts last night and I reloaded syslog-ng, filters, and restarted it. I used to have to do that every now and then with the RT-AC86U and older firmware, not sure why. but it works then.

Scribe quit logging scripts last night and I reloaded syslog-ng, filters, and restarted it. I used to have to do that every now and then with the RT-AC86U and older firmware, not sure why. but it works then.
Thought about filters, backed everything up first since I have custom ones because I log the AImesh nodes. Not sure if reloading the config, or restarting solved it, need to be more methodical. Did same on Mesh nodes just in case, updated the format of the syslog-ng.conf to 3.30.1. Router was already at that version...

Thought about filters, backed everything up first since I have custom ones because I log the AImesh nodes. Not sure if reloading the config, or restarting solved it, need to be more methodical. Did same on Mesh nodes just in case, updated the format of the syslog-ng.conf to 3.30.1. Router was already at that version...
I've had it hang up and had to restart a couple of times already, not sure if it is the new wearing off my router, 386.2_2, or something else.
These kinda things don't usually fix themselves, but who knows, maybe.

recently installed spdmerlin and its been working fine, but I noticed the speeds max out at about 500mbps on the tests, while I have 1Gb connection, is this a limitation?

I noticed the speeds max out at about 500mbps on the tests, while I have 1Gb connection, is this a limitation
Not a limitation of spdMerlin. You can take spdMerlin out of the equation by using the feature at Adaptive QoS / Internet Speed. If you have QOS enabled, disable it first.

In spdMerlin, you can use "exclude from QoS" at Yes, to ensure that the test is not limited by QoS. For instance, cake is CPU limited and won't allow 1Gbps. (Depending on your usage/workload, you might have a better experience with Cake and a lower throughput.)

Another guess is that your provider does the marketing on 1Gps but fails to deliver. My provider markets 400Mbps. The fineprint indicates that normal speed is 310 and minimum speed is 229Mbps. Also, some speedtest servers are sometimes less reliable.

Just curious, did you have QoS enabled ? What flavour ? Which settings ? What router model do you use ?

Regards

Hello, I have adaptive QoS on. RT AX88u and hitting speeds 900meg on Ethernet and about 400-500 on WiFi.

tried disabling the QoS and same results.

recently installed spdmerlin and its been working fine, but I noticed the speeds max out at about 500mbps on the tests, while I have 1Gb connection, is this a limitation?
The limitation and it is known and widely discussed is that all/most routers don't have a processor than can handle the speed of a gig test when testing using spdmerlin on the router.

Hello again everyone,

don't have a processor than can handle the speed of a gig test when testing using spdmerlin on the router
Do you mean that the router can handle the speed of a gig test when using something else than spdMerlin ? What other means ? (The feature at Adaptive QoS / Internet Speed ?)

What I meant is that, in my understanding, spdMerlin will report a speed just as fast as what the speedtest executable from Ookla will be able to test on the router.

RT AX88u and hitting speeds 900meg on Ethernet
How did you measure that ? Is it from the router itself, or from e.g. a laptop connected to the router ?

Take care
Regards
W.

Hello again everyone,

Do you mean that the router can handle the speed of a gig test when using something else than spdMerlin ? What other means ? (The feature at Adaptive QoS / Internet Speed ?)

What I meant is that, in my understanding, spdMerlin will report a speed just as fast as what the speedtest executable from Ookla will be able to test on the router.

How did you measure that ? Is it from the router itself, or from e.g. a laptop connected to the router ?

Take care
Regards
W.
If you run the speed test on a PC with a robust processor the router will pass the data through and you should get a result of close to a gig, however the router itself can't since the processor isn't as robust as a PC an in addition to running the speed test it has to handle all the other router functions. The fewer things the router has to do including QOS, WiFi etc the better the results on spdMerlin.

The limitation and it is known and widely discussed is that all/most routers don't have a processor than can handle the speed of a gig test when testing using spdmerlin on the router.

I think that's true for the older models, but my RT-AX86U regularly sees download results around 930 Mbps on the automated spdMerlin tests, and it's not the "top of the line" model, so it IS possible ... my speed is supposedly "up to" 1000 Down / 50 Up.

Yeah, laptop connected to router

Hello again everyone,

Take care
Regards

After using spdmerlin for a little while I think a valuable feature would be to have the ability to send an email if the speed drops below a certain level. I am able to monitor the csv files remotely but having this native feature would be better. Thank you.

After using spdmerlin for a little while I think a valuable feature would be to have the ability to send an email if the speed drops below a certain level. I am able to monitor the csv files remotely but having this native feature would be better. Thank you.
Do you run Diversion? If so, I can plug into the email feature of that relatively simply

May I object (just a little)? I think the dependency on Diversion is something that should be resonsidered, at least IMHO. That probaby came out wrong, but I meant no harm. I even removed vn-stat for now, simply because it requires Diversion for mailing too. But I don't need Diversion anymore and think it's on the heavy side to install it only to disable it, so you can use it for another script to use its mailing functionality.
why re-invent the wheel when diversion does a good job? separate scripts mean a separate copy of your credentials floating around on the router too (albeit encrypted), plus there's the issue of each script doing its own thing, if you change your password you have to change it in multiple places instead of just 1.
The only thing NextDNS hasn't is the great user support tlc always offered (along with his thread midgets like yours truly) but even that has changed. I'd really rather see a simple, straightforward mailing module in amtm, one (other) place to provide username and pass and all the scripts who want can take advantage of it, without the need of installing something you don't need (anymore). I'm sorry. Harsh words. But times have changed, I guess.

Best regards,
don't use it then and miss out on a free feature. your choice!

MvW said:
I'd really rather see a simple, straightforward mailing module in amtm, one (other) place to provide username and pass and all the scripts who want can take advantage of it,
if you want to get in on the scripting fun, i think you found yourself a good project :)

ok, you tempted me. i've asked for blessing to write a generic email script using Diversion as a base
The start of addons_lib

Very good idea (of course you are doing the heavy lifting) ;-)