What's new

spdMerlin spdMerlin - v4.x - speedtest and bandwidth monitoring

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MerlinMail? MailMerlin? mailMerlin? postOffice?

I don't think your responses were inappropriate in any way. You were doing what you should in terms of normal push back, challenging in a good way, etc. I know that he's had some challenges of late as well and hopefully he's dealing with those successfully.

There is a problem with this script on my ASUS AX88U. It appears to be limiting the speed to 500-600 Mbps which points me to read/write speed of USB flash. When I test on my iPhone, I get 800. What can I do to get 940 Mbps speeds using this script?

Is this script writing and reading to USB flash storage or immediately discarding the bits when running speedtest-cli?

I use Kingston DataTraveler USB 3.0 on USB 2.0 mode.

:( i hope my responses on this thread weren't taken the wrong way

I should just stick to scripting
you were nothing less than a perfect gentleman. I dont know why he took his toys and went home.

Hey, Jack. Thank you. It works great. I just noticed that the results table does not display the unit of uploaded data correctly when it's below 1 MB, it should be KB. Please check the screen shot.
brave_iH8pWsQTAj.png

Unfortunately, here in my remote location I have to settle for 16/0.78 Mbps adls line.

Hey, Jack. Thank you. It works great. I just noticed that the results table does not display the unit of uploaded data correctly when it's below 1 MB, it should be KB. Please check the screen shot.
View attachment 33490
Unfortunately, here in my remote location I have to settle for 16/0.78 Mbps adls line.
wow, i think you're winning in lowest speeds! first report of the KB range that i've seen....

Hi there Jack...
I am getting some errors right after installing SPDMERLIN. Some tables are not initialized. Happens if I try test all interfaces or wan only, no difference. I reinstalled a couple times, from scratch. Shows it always. AC68U running 386.2_4, fresh install of everything with clean NVRAM built from the ground up.
Maybe this is irrelevant and won't affect it after it gets going? In any case, reporting it.
BTW tried searching here but I don't get hits with the message. Puzzling....
Take care!

1619915305385.png

More info:
I tried this code:
sqlite3 /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/spdstats.db
PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_WAN);

The database is not found. The folder spdmerlin.d doesn't exist.

Last edited:
Hi there Jack...
I am getting some errors right after installing SPDMERLIN. Some tables are not initialized. Happens if I try test all interfaces or wan only, no difference. I reinstalled a couple times, from scratch. Shows it always. AC68U running 386.2_4,

More info:
I tried this code:
sqlite3 /opt/share/spdmerlin.d/spdstats.db
PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_WAN);

The database is not found. The folder spdmerlin.d doesn't exist.
I get the same error, although on an AC86U with 386.2_4 and have only dirty flashed. Uninstalled and reinstalled spdmerlin, tried to check for any leftover files between uninstall and reinstall.

There's no /opt/share/spdmerlin.d folder on my router, my spdstats.db is in /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d so I ran sqlite against that and get results for VAN and VPNC1, as expected, and no results for VPNC2.
Code:
# sqlite3 /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/spdstats.db
SQLite version 3.33.0 2020-08-14 13:23:32
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_WAN);
0|StatID|INTEGER|1||1
1|Timestamp|NUMERIC|1||0
2|Download|REAL|1||0
3|Upload|REAL|1||0
4|Latency|REAL|0||0
5|Jitter|REAL|0||0
6|PktLoss|REAL|0||0
7|ResultURL|TEXT|0||0
8|DataDownload|REAL|1||0
9|DataUpload|REAL|1||0
sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_VPNC1);
0|StatID|INTEGER|1||1
1|Timestamp|NUMERIC|1||0
2|Download|REAL|1||0
3|Upload|REAL|1||0
4|Latency|REAL|0||0
5|Jitter|REAL|0||0
6|PktLoss|REAL|0||0
7|ResultURL|TEXT|0||0
8|DataDownload|REAL|1||0
9|DataUpload|REAL|1||0
sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_VPNC2);
sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_VPNC3);

etc.
I get the same
"Error: near line 4: no such table: spdstats_VPNC2" etc.
spam multiple times for every unused VPN client after running a speedtest from the shell. Even if I only select a specific interface (WAN or VPNC1), I still get errors for the non-configured VPN clients. I have been through VPN clients 2-5 and reset them to default in the router GUI, in case there was some holdover data there from when I had more clients.

It seems fairly benign, but thought I'd mention it.

Contents of .interfaces and .interfaces_user are identical:
Code:
WAN
VPNC1
VPNC2 #excluded - interface not up#
VPNC3 #excluded - interface not up#
VPNC4 #excluded - interface not up#
VPNC5 #excluded - interface not up#

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. Yes, I later found that the spdstats.db is in the JFFS as I have never toggled the storage location. So far so good, the data IS there and the webui shows charts etc all right. So as the preacher said, seems a fairly benign coding sin! ;)

I get the same error, although on an AC86U with 386.2_4 and have only dirty flashed. Uninstalled and reinstalled spdmerlin, tried to check for any leftover files between uninstall and reinstall.

There's no /opt/share/spdmerlin.d folder on my router, my spdstats.db is in /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d so I ran sqlite against that and get results for VAN and VPNC1, as expected, and no results for VPNC2.
Code:
# sqlite3 /jffs/addons/spdmerlin.d/spdstats.db
SQLite version 3.33.0 2020-08-14 13:23:32
Enter ".help" for usage hints.
sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_WAN);
0|StatID|INTEGER|1||1
1|Timestamp|NUMERIC|1||0
2|Download|REAL|1||0
3|Upload|REAL|1||0
4|Latency|REAL|0||0
5|Jitter|REAL|0||0
6|PktLoss|REAL|0||0
7|ResultURL|TEXT|0||0
8|DataDownload|REAL|1||0
9|DataUpload|REAL|1||0
sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_VPNC1);
0|StatID|INTEGER|1||1
1|Timestamp|NUMERIC|1||0
2|Download|REAL|1||0
3|Upload|REAL|1||0
4|Latency|REAL|0||0
5|Jitter|REAL|0||0
6|PktLoss|REAL|0||0
7|ResultURL|TEXT|0||0
8|DataDownload|REAL|1||0
9|DataUpload|REAL|1||0
sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_VPNC2);
sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(spdstats_VPNC3);

etc.
I get the same
"Error: near line 4: no such table: spdstats_VPNC2" etc.
spam multiple times for every unused VPN client after running a speedtest from the shell. Even if I only select a specific interface (WAN or VPNC1), I still get errors for the non-configured VPN clients. I have been through VPN clients 2-5 and reset them to default in the router GUI, in case there was some holdover data there from when I had more clients.

It seems fairly benign, but thought I'd mention it.

Contents of .interfaces and .interfaces_user are identical:
Code:
WAN
VPNC1
VPNC2 #excluded - interface not up#
VPNC3 #excluded - interface not up#
VPNC4 #excluded - interface not up#
VPNC5 #excluded - interface not up#

Hi @Jack Yaz

Thanks for the awesome addon. Quick question regarding QOS.

I have an RT-AX88U with Adaptive QOS enavled along with FlexQOS installed. I have checked "Exclude speedtests from QoS" within spdMerlin. I have setup scheduled speedtests only against WAN and against a pre-selected server.

Juts want to know if these scheduled speed tests bypass the QOS like the built-in speedtest does in 386+ FW? I did find the below but am not sure if it is true.

In spdMerlin, you can use "exclude from QoS" at Yes, to ensure that the test is not limited by QoS.

Thanks

Hi,
First of all, thanks for the awesome addon @Jack Yaz.
Quick question:
Is it possible to have the name/ip address of the speedtest server used (helpful in case of auto-selected server or no selected checkbox in "Interfaces that use a preferred server") listed in the html table or at least exported in the csv file?
Thanks.

Hi all,

Just came to install this on my RTAC88U but was met with the following:

-------
No swap file detected!

Entware not detected!

Requirements for spdMerlin not met, please see above for the reason(s)
-------

Im currently running with Merlin FW 386.2_6 but I do also have NextDNS CLi running, im wondering if that is whats causing an issue.

Would anyone be able to advise?

Kind regards

Hi Jack

any reason why we cant make "toggle lines" stick in all your addons? We lose this particular setting intermittently. Also windows which get collapsed eg all the VNPC1 to VNPC5 always lose their collapsed status at various times when logging in to router.

Hi Jack

any reason why we cant make "toggle lines" stick in all your addons? We lose this particular setting intermittently. Also windows which get collapsed eg all the VNPC1 to VNPC5 always lose their collapsed status at various times when logging in to router.
It's done by browser cookies which expire after 31 days. Next version sets a 10 year expiry so that will fix it