1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

SPONSORED: Solving the Wi-Fi Upgrade Dilemma: Router, Extender or Wi-Fi System

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Dec 13, 2017.

1. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

2. Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!
  3. jpham

jpham New Around Here

Gigabit ISP? What's that? Fiber? hahaha, must be dream land.
    Heck, I'm in Silicon Valley and the highest I ever got is like 128megabits down. The WIFI industry wants us to buy new WIFI AP/router, then tell ISP to offer gigabit internet . Otherwise, last year gigabit WIFI router or the year before WIFI is good enough. What lacking is reliable in WIFI access point. Smallnet should do more test on how reliable some of the WIFI access point.

4. thiggins

Interesting 10GbE discussion but OT. I've moved it to its own thread

5. Stephen Wille

Stephen Wille New Around Here

What's the best way to handle wifi with concrete walls? I have ethernet ports throughout the apt but need to deliver wifi coverage too. I'd like to use wireless APs that are plugged into the ethernet ports which get their IP from the main router.

6. thiggins

Yes. That's the way to do it. If you're not sure how to set up the APs, you can opt for a Wi-Fi system that supports Ethernet backhaul. It will set itself up properly. Use the Wi-Fi System Finder to find products that support Ethernet backhaul.

7. kab

kab Occasional Visitor

OK, so $64 Q on WiFi Systems: What quality/features of the firmware? Are these so simplified that they lack important options? How likely to get a "usable" custom firmware?

My issues would be things like: putting the cable modem in bridge mode and having this be my main router; better firewall options/updates; subnets and VLANs and custom routing; configuring a combination of std net and VPN; &c.

The manufacturer's product descriptions tend to be a bit lacking in such details. Enquiring minds and all that.

8. thiggins

Wi-Fi systems are for general consumers. We are tracking some of the features you mention in our Finder.

In general, many can be bridged to be used as APs. But VLANs, advanced routing etc. are generally not supported. Same goes for alternate firmware.

Please support SNBForums! Just click on this link before you buy something from Amazon and we'll get a small commission on anything you buy. Thanks!