What's new

2.4Ghz still on Wi-Fi 6 even though already disable on setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bagussatya

New Around Here
Hi, I have an AI Mesh system in my house using 2 AX-1800HP (1 as Main Router and the other one as AI Node). I already disable the Wi-Fi 6 on 2.4Ghz (and I can see the Wi-Fi 6 logo disappeared on my mobile phone), but when I turn on the router that act as an AI Node, the 2.4Ghz now showing the Wi-Fi 6 logo again, thus my IoT devices can't connect. Is there any way to solve this? Thank you

Notes : I want only wifi 6 on 5Ghz

Hi, I have an AI Mesh system in my house using 2 AX-1800HP (1 as Main Router and the other one as AI Node). I already disable the Wi-Fi 6 on 2.4Ghz (and I can see the Wi-Fi 6 logo disappeared on my mobile phone), but when I turn on the router that act as an AI Node, the 2.4Ghz now showing the Wi-Fi 6 logo again, thus my IoT devices can't connect. Is there any way to solve this? Thank you

Notes : I want only wifi 6 on 5Ghz

Have you tried removing the node (resets automatically) and then adding it back again?

What is the model number exactly and installed firmware version, and did you reset that fw before configuring the main router?

OE

AX mode works on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz once 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode is on.
If you turn on 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode under Wireless General you're doing it for both radios

The other thing you can try if you want 2.4Ghz but without 802.11AX support by using SSH to get into the router, and modifying NVRAM
wl0_11ax=1 and set it to 0 and commit it, then reboot.

I have not tried this personally so I don't not if it works. But like enabling under Wireless General does it for both radios, I think this will disable it for both as well

If you want to turn off the 2.4Ghz radio, that's different.

AX mode works on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz once 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode is on.
If you turn on 802.11ax / WiFi 6 mode under Wireless General you're doing it for both radios
Is this a bug in the current Asus firmware and/or something specific to AiMesh nodes, because that's not how it normally works with a standalone router.

Not a bug, has been this way as far back as I can remember, that said.

On a stand alone router enabling 802.11ax does so for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz in my config though I use SmartConnect, I'm given the coice to enable it or not, but its for both.

Im not exactly sure if you you have separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks if you have separate choice for enabling 802.11ax for each individually or not. Easy enough to try. If not it's for both.

But turning off/on 802.11ax is not the same as enabling or disabling the 2.4Ghz Radio. I could not tell from your original post if that its you want to disable 2.4 Ghz or just 802.11x

Have you tried removing the node (resets automatically) and then adding it back again?

What is the model number exactly and installed firmware version, and did you reset that fw before configuring the main router?

OE
I've tried to do that, even changing the router (the ai mesh router before became the ai mesh node and vice versa) but still the same.

Router : RT-AX1800HP
Firmware : 3.0.0.4.386_69037

Not a bug, has been this way as far back as I can remember, that said.

On a stand alone router enabling 802.11ax does so for both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz in my config though I use SmartConnect, I'm given the coice to enable it or not, but its for both.

Im not exactly sure if you you have separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks if you have separate choice for enabling 802.11ax for each individually or not. Easy enough to try. If not it's for both.

But turning off/on 802.11ax is not the same as enabling or disabling the 2.4Ghz Radio. I could not tell from your original post if that its you want to disable 2.4 Ghz or just 802.11x
Before adding the nodes, its perfectly working (only 5Ghz running on wifi 6 and 2.4Ghz not running on wifi 6). But after adding the nodes, the nodes started to run the 2.4Ghz on wifi 6

Ah, OK. I don't use smart connect and therefore have separate controls for 2.4 and 5GHz. So I've always been able to disable 802.11ax on 2.4GHz but still have it enabled on 5GHz.

Ah, OK. I don't use smart connect and therefore have separate controls for 2.4 and 5GHz. So I've always been able to disable 802.11ax on 2.4GHz but still have it enabled on 5GHz.
Yeah, I've been able to do this also and it's working fine before adding the ai mesh node

This is what it's look like when I disabled the 2.4 Ghz radio on the nodes
1705535634760.jpeg

1705535640362.jpeg

In this case you may get lucky by disabling Smart Connect. It's really unnecessary anyway as it's a simple matter to assign same SSIDs to every radio in the entire system, and as you see, convenience often comes at a cost. You still have roaming assistance and/or agile multiband available. That's if your clients even respond properly to /any/ such suggestions...

I toyed with radio power settings in different operating modes a short while ago. Some of the modes (router / ap / repeater / bridge / node) will retain those settings after a reboot, even if they aren't available in the mode's web interface (if there is one), instead made via SSH. But in "mesh node" mode the radios were set up entirely anew by the mesh head at each node reboot.

Hopefully by disabling Smart Connect you'll be able to accomplish what you desire.

Doing so further tesint on my setup at the risk of messing something up, I did some testing.
I'm not sure if what your asking for, disabling the radio is not the same as disabiling 802.11ax
Note, 802.11ax radios can transmit and receive either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz frequency bands.

Even with SmartConnect you can disable a radio on a node but not 802.11ax. Here's the router with 2 nodes, with the management details on a node under AImesh within the GUi showing that the 2.4Ghz radio can be disabled without messing with the 5Ghz radio under SmartConnect. There's not a seprate option for 802.11ax on the node in Aimesh and certainly disabling the radio per node/router disables 802.11ax but also the radio. Turning off SmartConnect you can disable 802.11ax per radio without disabling the radio per node/router. The trick is leaving the radios on, disabling SmartConnect, and disabling 802.11ax per radio on the router which goes to the node under Aimesh.
1705777369145.png

That said, I did turn off SmartConnect and was able to independently configue this setting per radio but only after disabling SmartConnect.
This setting under Wireless General you can disable per radio (2.4Ghz or 5Ghz), once SmartConect is off you'll be able to turn off 802.11ax per radio.
1705777792556.png

Turning off the radio is separate from disabling 802.11ax. Disabling 802.11ax at the node but not the router, not sure how that would work, but from the GUI it can't be done. Instead you likely need to SSH into the node and turn off the NVRAM seeting for 802.11ax for 2.4Ghz. Again not the same as turning off the radio with you can do from managing the node as you've done.

Still not sure what you want. So is it that you want to disable the 2.4Ghz radio (which effectively kills 802.11ax for 2.4Ghz) per router/node or is it that you just want to disable 802.11ax for 2.4Ghz leaving the radio enabled for bother router and node. You can easily disable the radio on both the router and node independently. One can also disable 802.11ax for each radio after disabling SmartConnect, which I suspect if disabled on the router also disables it on the node. What's not so simple is just disabling 802.11ax on the Aimesh node but not the Router regaurdless of the radio.

But....

Your other option is not using Aimesh and running the node in AP mode, where you can confiure all the settings independently, choosing to disable 802.11ax per frequency per Node/Router within each devices GUI without SmartConnect. A little more involved version not for the faint of heart, is to find the NVRAM setting on the node for 802.11ax on the 2.4 Ghz radio and changing it to disables it, commit and reboot but that's a more complicated manual effort.

You got options, maybe not the ones you wanted, but you have them depending what you want to disable 2.4Ghz, 802.11ax, Aimesh or Router/Node(AP) all of them or some mix of the four 🤷‍♂️

A little more involved version not for the faint of heart, is to find the NVRAM setting on the node for 802.11ax on the 2.4 Ghz radio and changing it to disables it, commit and reboot but that's a more complicated manual effort.
That's what I'd mentioned testing. Well, not /disabling/ a radio - rather, what Id tested was reducing its power output. That setting (via NVRAM variable assignment) usually survives a reboot; except when the device is a mesh node. Mesh /totally/ sets up the node's radios anew as per the master's settings whenever the node boots back into the mesh.

Simply disabling Smart Connect and degrading the 2.4 radios to below AX functionality will work to solve this problem.

If I felt a need to feed a VLAN through all broadcasters I suppose I might consider using the AiMesh option. Other than that it's simply too insufficient for my purpose, as currently implemented.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!