What's new

STA-to-STA OFDMA issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi guys, sorry to bring this topic up again, but my question fits perfectly into this topic.

Is this issue still present today when OFDMA / 802.11ax + MU-MIMO is enabled?

I have a GT-AX11000 and I want to use Playstation 5 Remote Play to stream to my Surface Pro 8 (both connected with Wifi 6), and it runs very very bad.
I have read all your tests and I think the reason is that the PS5 and Surface is up and downloading at the "same" time, and therefore the bad performance.

I tried it also with OFDMA and MU-MIMO completely disabled, then it runs surprisingly good, but what is the benefit then, that I have a monster Wifi6 router where I have to disable the OFDMA and Mu-MIMO? :)

Even with OFDMA DL-only I get some little stuttering during using remote play.

Thanks all

but what is the benefit then

The reality - in typical home environment with mixed N/AC/AX clients the benefit is minimal to none. Mostly used by home router manufacturers for marketing purposes. Your monster router is mostly non-functional Gaming plastic with RGB lights and about $100 hardware inside with somewhat working firmware.

Thanks for your input, unfortunately, this is what I already expected :)

I am using my network like this:
2g = all my IOT and legacy stuff
5g1 = all my n and ac devices
5g2 = ax only

So I thought that I can have the full OFDMA benefits in 5g2.
But I am not scared to disable those things again, if they are known to be buggy.

Primary I bought the router to have 4x4 MIMO, because I have some 4x4 devices at home.

For the professional settings:
- Implicit and explicit beamforming seems to work ok, I can see a benefit in signal quality and I see in Wifi logs more throughput in theory, but I have not tested if the throughput gain is real.
- Airtime fairness I have off, because, I had some troubles with some of my devices (connection loss), and I think this is no Wifi standard?
- MU-MIMO I have actually on, because I have a lot of 2x2 MU-MIMO devices, but I dont know if it will harm or help, or if it is even working.
- OFDMA I have set to OFDMA / 802.11ax + MU-MIMO, because I have some ax devices, but it looks like, that this setting is harmful.

What professional settings do you guys use in your home environment?

Thanks!

What professional settings do you guys use in your home environment?

Multiple threads around about Wi-Fi settings. Leave everything close to default and enjoy your life. There is no universal best settings. You have to find what works best in your environment and with your clients.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!