What's new

Standby feature question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bill122590

New Around Here
I'd like to have my DS 218+ "sleep" when not in use. Will the standby feature " sleep" it or will it shut it down then reboot when wol?

OK, not the NAS guy here and no experience with Synology but I have my Qnap TS431 set to sleep after 15 minutes of non use. When I go to access a file it takes a few seconds to wake up and respond but not near as long as it takes to reboot after a shut down. I'm guessing that Synology is probably about the same.

I never reboot unless it's necessary when there is a firmware update which doesn't happen very often. If you need faster access just increase the timeout to a longer period of time or disable the sleep option. If your concerned about power usage it uses very little power in the sleep mode. Don't know about Synology but the Qnap takes forever to shut down and then seems like forever to reboot. Better to just let it sleep. Also less wear and tear on the drives.

Just like to power down when not in use. Symbology has a function to hibernate the drives and an associated function for unit stand by. Unfortunately the description indicate it maybe actually a shut down. The manual doesn't clarify the functions well. This synology seems to be a good unit but good luck getting anything but scripted answers from the company, that's when you can get them to respond. I kind of wished I went with something different.

Thanks for your help.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!