What's new

Stopped having to reset my router everyday

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adaweawe

New Around Here
I was using a Netgear power adapter for my TP link router. The wireless dropped everyday and I had to reset the router once a day. I started using the original TP link power adapter and the router has been flawless for the past week.

The voltages on the 2 adapters were slightly different. Maybe this caused the router to overheat when the wireless bandwidth was high.

In addition, the occurrence of required resets lessened significantly when I reduce the number of computers that were connected to my Wi-Fi.

I reduced the number of connected computers about a month after I changed the power adapter. In each case, I noticed better Wi-Fi performance. Currently, I only have one computer connected to my Wi-Fi network using the router on the correct power adapter and I am experiencing very significantly less required resets than before I made these changes.

Last edited:
The voltages on the 2 adapters were slightly different.

By how much?

This could also have been caused by a lack of current delivery capability. Say the router requires 1.1 A at peak usage and the adapter can only supply 1 A - this may cause the wireless modules to cut out right when you need them.

I've read several posts by people who deduced that the problem with their (router, switch, ...) was the cheap wall-wart power transformer, not the device per se. Measuring the voltage while unplugged does not tell you much. No load, and meter won't say if the filter caps have failed causing lots of mains frequency (e.g., 60Hz) superimposed on the DC. Substitution of same voltage/polarity wall wart is the best tactic.

By how much?

This could also have been caused by a lack of current delivery capability. Say the router requires 1.1 A at peak usage and the adapter can only supply 1 A - this may cause the wireless modules to cut out right when you need them.

dont have the old adapter, but i remember confirming the amperage was enough

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!