What's new

Stubby-Installer-Asuswrt-Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I saw that, so run the above ps command using 438 and the ps command again using 541 to see what processes those number are. Use the current lines from syslog to get those two numbers as they change every time you run a script that restarts stubby.
Those stats were captured earlier today I've restarted since then a few times.

Those stats were captured earlier today I've restarted since then a few times.
Yes that is why I stated
Use the current lines from syslog to get those two numbers as they change every time you run a script that restarts stubby.
:)

Gotcha I will do that when I reboot tomorrow morning.

Code:
 ps w | grep 2903
15006 QuincyVo  4488 D    grep 2903
You need to use the numbers from YOUR syslog, that was an example of the CLI syntax. :p
Code:
 ps w | grep YOUR Numbers (one at a time)

You need to use the numbers from YOUR syslog, that was an example of the CLI syntax. :p
Code:
 ps w | grep YOUR Numbers (one at a time)
Ok so I rebooted. The logs show:
Code:
Feb  9 18:19:12 (install_stubby.sh): 443 Ending Script Execution
Feb  9 18:19:12 (install_stubby.sh): 2480 Ending Script Execution
The results of the grep command:
Code:
16575 QuincyVo   936 D    grep 443
 3912 QuincyVo  4488 S    grep 2480
Now what? I went to "top" and I don't see the pid.

@Adamm I removed and re-installed Stubby. Still I have the two entries in my syslog saying that install_stubby has run. I'm pretty confident now that some how the script you are calling in nat-start runs twice.;):)

nat-start and firewall-start both get executed multiple times during startup, that's a firmware design quirk. Which is why the -D rules come before the -A rules.

The script is working as intended

Port forward page is always different but always 4 entries. I don't follow why wouldn't running it twice cancel the first resulting command. Look here:
Code:
Source    Proto    Port range    Redirect to    Local Port    Chain
ALL    UDP    53    192.168.14.1    53    PREROUTING
ALL    UDP    53    192.168.14.1    53    PREROUTING
ALL    TCP    53    192.168.14.1    53    PREROUTING
ALL    TCP    53    192.168.14.1    53    PREROUTING
The udp are grouped together and the tcp are grouped together. This is usually displayed udp over tcp then again udp over tcp on this page.

Ok so I rebooted. The logs show:
Code:
Feb  9 18:19:12 (install_stubby.sh): 443 Ending Script Execution
Feb  9 18:19:12 (install_stubby.sh): 2480 Ending Script Execution
The results of the grep command:
Code:
16575 QuincyVo   936 D    grep 443
 3912 QuincyVo  4488 S    grep 2480
Now what? I went to "top" and I don't see the pid.
That is a weird output, you did catch that is the pipe symbol between w & grep, right?
Code:
 ps w | grep xxxx (ps w (pipe) grep xxxx

Do you have htop on the router? You can get via entware
Code:
opkg install htop
then you can sort by pid number makes it easier.

If I run nat-start right now it would erase one set.

That is a weird output, you did catch that is the pipe symbol between w & grep, right?
Code:
 ps w | grep xxxx (ps w (pipe) grep xxxx

Do you have htop on the router? You can get via entware
Code:
opkg install htop
then you can sort by pid number makes it easier.
Did all that found no pid matches.

Uninstalled Stubby and reinstalled this afternoon and am pleased that the port forwarding shows up in the log as intended! Even picked up the router IP which is not the standard 192.168.1.1

As a check, Stubby on the 32 BIT routers does not support TLS 1.3? If it does on the 64 BIT routers should there be a stubby.yml with the extra options for TLS 1.3?

Did all that found no pid matches.
Stranger and stranger, at least from what my AC86U does, though I run fewer scripts than you do.
Here is my output of the pid assigned to stubby right now.
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-xxxx:/tmp/home/root# ps w | grep 13370
13370 admin  7112 S    stubby -g -v 5 -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml 2>/opt/var/log/stubby.log
16179 admin  5324 S    grep 13370
Running that command returns the second line with  the grep (pid searched) since it starts a process for ps.

Last edited:
What is stranger is that the time stamp for each process (Ending Script Execution) is the same time they exit at the same time. o_O:confused:

Stranger and stranger, at least from what my AC86U does, though I run fewer scripts than you do.
Here is my output of the pid assigned to stubby right now.
Code:
admin@RT-AC86U-xxxx:/tmp/home/root# ps w | grep 13370
13370 admin  7112 S    stubby -g -v 5 -C /opt/etc/stubby/stubby.yml 2>/opt/var/log/stubby.log
16179 admin  5324 S    grep 13370[/code
Running that command returns the second line with  the grep (pid searched) since it starts a process for ps.
The only script I run that you don't is FreshJR_QOS.

What is stranger is that the time stamp for each process (Ending Script Execution) is the same time they exit at the same time. o_O:confused:
Stranger yet, If I run nat-start nothing changes on the port forwarding page. If I run service restart_firewall the page is made right.

At this point I'm out of troubleshooting ideas, and the fact that Adamm stated the script does get called multiple times at boot. I have not rebooted since the recent updates to stubby and the nat-start / iptables changes. I want to hold off since I have a cron calling a reboot early tomorrow morning hoping the other screwy AC86U idiosyncrasies work out like power off and not reboot, and the USB not cleanly unmounting - my amtm dcl shows "recovering journal" every time it runs instead of showing as clean. :rolleyes:

I'll see what happens tomorrow after reboot.

Stranger yet, If I run nat-start nothing changes on the port forwarding page. If I run service restart_firewall the page is made right.
This DNS rule shouldn't appear on the Port Forwarding page in the GUI, AFAIK. What are you looking at?

This page. ASUS Wireless Router RT AC3100   Port Forwarding.png