What's new

Student Flats network, any advice appreciated!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fl3tch

New Around Here
I've taken on a small project for a friend networking his new block of flats. Its going to be rented to students (7 flats, 13 people). I met with the electrician who has just installed the cat 5 cabling. I think there will be a single connection in each flat which all merges in an electrical room.

My idea so far is to get a 100Mb connection into the building from which I'll set up a switch distributing the connection to each flat and whack a wireless extender on the end.

My main concerns are:
1) Is a broadband package like this going to suffice.
2) Is there anything I can do to prevent one user hogging to much bandwidth?
3) Am I missing anything glaringly obvious?

any feedback would be hugely appreciated. Thanks

1) Is a broadband package like this going to suffice.
Assuming you can keep a cap on Torrenting and other P2P usage, it should. Or put another way, consumption will rise to whatever level you provide.
2) Is there anything I can do to prevent one user hogging to much bandwidth?
Yes. Choose a router with bandwidth management features. See Taming Your Network's Bandwidth Hogs - Part 1 and Taming Your Network's Bandwidth Hogs - Part 2.

Also, use the Router Finder and look for products with QoS Type and Direction set to Both.

As long as you use some sort of QoS you should be alright. Managed 100Mbit switches are dirt cheap, and generally have QoS options. You may want to consider this route.