What's new

Tailscale subnet router help requested

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

#TY

My Asus is running the latest Merlin version, and all seems well in that regard.

I've successfully installed Tailscale on one of my Macs and configured it as a subnet router using the following command:

sudo tailscale up --advertise-routes=10.0.10.0/24 --accept-routes --reset

Following Tailscale's documentation, this should be sufficient. However, despite these steps, I'm encountering an issue where I cannot access or ping any local devices when connected from abroad.

Is there a specific Tailscale setting I might have overlooked, or could there be an adjustment needed on my Asus router?

I'll also add that my router is configured to use my NextDNS account in case that has something to do with it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

My Asus is running the latest Merlin version, and all seems well in that regard.

I've successfully installed Tailscale on one of my Macs and configured it as a subnet router using the following command:

sudo tailscale up --advertise-routes=10.0.10.0/24 --accept-routes --reset

Following Tailscale's documentation, this should be sufficient. However, despite these steps, I'm encountering an issue where I cannot access or ping any local devices when connected from abroad.

Is there a specific Tailscale setting I might have overlooked, or could there be an adjustment needed on my Asus router?

I'll also add that my router is configured to use my NextDNS account in case that has something to do with it.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
How are you connecting from abroad? Using OpenVPN Server?

Reactions: #TY
How are you connecting from abroad? Using OpenVPN Server?
I have Tailscale also installed on my MacBook Pro. That's how Im connecting.

I FINALLY figured out what the issue is.

On my MacBook Pro, if I connect using the Tailscale app downloaded from the AppStore; I can access the subnet routes being advertised from my home mac instantly.

If I use Tailscale installed by Homebrew on my Macbook Pro (CLI); it doesn't connect at all. I also noticed that the Homebrew version of Tailscale doesn't recognize the NextDNS profile. NextDNS only worked when I downloaded it from the AppStore as well.

Is this a limitation of the Tailscale version installed by Homebrew? My MacBook pro is running the latest version of macOS Sonoma 14.1.1.

I have Tailscale also installed on my MacBook Pro. That's how Im connecting.

I FINALLY figured out what the issue is.

On my MacBook Pro, if I connect using the Tailscale app downloaded from the AppStore; I can access the subnet routes being advertised from my home mac instantly.

If I use Tailscale installed by Homebrew on my Macbook Pro (CLI); it doesn't connect at all. I also noticed that the Homebrew version of Tailscale doesn't recognize the NextDNS profile. NextDNS only worked when I downloaded it from the AppStore as well.

Is this a limitation of the Tailscale version installed by Homebrew? My MacBook pro is running the latest version of macOS Sonoma 14.1.1.
This doesn't sound like it's anything to do with Merlin's router firmware. Perhaps it's a question best asked in Tailscale, Apple or Homebrew forums.

Just to get my head around this. Are you using the Tailscale servers, if not what do you have set up to enable external clients to punch through the router file wall and access the Mac running the Tailscale server?

This doesn't sound like it's anything to do with Merlin's router firmware. Perhaps it's a question best asked in Tailscale, Apple or Homebrew forums.
Yeah, that's what I just did. I've been struggling with this all afternoon and it just dawned on me to simply try the AppStore version just in case, and bam, it worked. Thank you for taking the time to follow-up and respond. I genuinely appreciate it.

Just to get my head around this. Are you using the Tailscale servers, if not what do you have set up to enable external clients to punch through the router file wall and access the Mac running the Tailscale server?
Its very easy actually.
Create a Tailscale account (it's free).
Install Tailscale on any of your devices
From the Settings Select "Use Tailscale Subnets"
Then install Tailscale on your device (in my case my travelling Macbook Pro).
As long as it's connected, I can access ANY of my local devices over an encrypted connection at the speed of a local network (almost)

Welcome to MacOS Sonoma - it's a sandbox/permissions issue when running things from macports/homebrew...

With Tailscale, it should be fine with their AppStore implementation...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!