What's new

tasmota devices failing to connect back - Asus WRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tasmota has been used by a number of vendors as a base for the vendor firmware - much like OpenWRT...

Just because a device runs Tasmota, does not imply that it is obsolete or end-of-life...

If the SDK can't run WMM correctly and is thus limited to B and G, I guess I consider that end of life, at least that's how I interpreted what you said previously.

If the SDK can't run WMM correctly and is thus limited to B and G, I guess I consider that end of life, at least that's how I interpreted what you said previously.

If you track thru their issues list, Asus does figure rather prominently...

That's the fun thing about interoperability - fingers can only be pointed for so long... going legacy mode or disabling WMM aren't fixes, they're workarounds.

Not the first time we've seen issues with the wl drivers in 2.4GHz on these kind of IoT chipsets - Asus could fix this if they were so inclined.. but there, someone needs to bring it to their attention.

In the short term - might consider setting up a lower end travel router as an AP, and host the Tasmota devices off that.

From what was said earlier in this thread, Tasmota (the subject of this discussion) are old devices being kept alive by volunteers.

My router is not EOL, nor does that have anything to do with it handling IOT well, if anything it would handle it worse.

It seems you misunderstood. Tasmota and ESPHome are primarily used to replace vendor-specific firmware like TuYa, Sonoff or Shelly, primarily since they allows for tight local integration with Home Assistant and openHAB, and with a high level of security (e.g. they do not open any connection to the outside world). As @sfx2000 mentioned, they are so stable and popular that some vendors use them out of the box. ESPHome also allows running complex logic like PID locally within the SoC.

These chips are designed for 802.11n, and work flawlessly on legacy 802.11ac routers like yours (besides slowing down neighboring clients). It's 802.11ax is where their connectivity fails.

Sorry for saying your router is EOL - I just assumed since it was launched 10 years ago. Kudos to Asus for maintaining support for that long.

If you track thru their issues list, Asus does figure rather prominently...

That's the fun thing about interoperability - fingers can only be pointed for so long... going legacy mode or disabling WMM aren't fixes, they're workarounds.

Not the first time we've seen issues with the wl drivers in 2.4GHz on these kind of IoT chipsets - Asus could fix this if they were so inclined.. but there, someone needs to bring it to their attention.

In the short term - might consider setting up a lower end travel router as an AP, and host the Tasmota devices off that.

To Asus' excuse, the WiFi standards were made in hell, and if any router vendor followed the standard to the letter, the number of devices that could manage to maintain a consistent connection would be an absolute zero.
It therefore isn't a surprise that this didn't work when the first 802.11ax routers came out. However, through years of complaints, Asus did not bother adapting its router software to properly handle these chipsets.

@SignedAdam: thanks. I already have part of the devices on dhcp with a fixed IP. however they seem to be just as problematic as the ones with no fixed IP.
@Mattias: thank you, so you say setting static on the Tasmota itself? Not sure if that will be smooth, I have seen networks where this is leading to issues. When doing that, this should be in a range outside the dhcp assigned range from the router, correct?
@dark: thank you for the hint, I will try this.

I will update in about a week when I have tested your suggestions
Thank you all for your suggestions!

Hendrik-Jan

Hi All,
it's been a bit more than a week. But I am happy to say that this indeed is the solution:
Tasmita devices should use " wifi 3" as console input, then all is well.
Thanks a lot @dark !

Hendrik-Jan

Hi All,
it's been a bit more than a week. But I am happy to say that this indeed is the solution:
Thanks a lot @dark !

Hendrik-Jan
Please note that this means your devices run in 802.11g instead of 802.11n. It's not the best option, as it further slows down your router.

Hi All,
Thanks a lot @dark !

Hendrik-Jan
I manually assigned IP addresses for tasmota devices and no problem since 2-3 years.

Please note that this means your devices run in 802.11g instead of 802.11n. It's not the best option, as it further slows down your router.
hmm, good point. I guess it won' t help me to put these in a guest network on the same router?
In the end, it's not a huge issue, as the fast devices are on the 802.11a band I guess...

Can also slow down overlapping neighor's WLAN's

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!