What's new

tasmota devices failing to connect back - Asus WRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Note that the AiMesh and WiFi Guest Network generally, for the purposes of my question, are two different things. One can enable Guest Network(s) to segment and move IoT devices off the router's main LAN WiFi network.

View attachment 52711
I found this kind of insulting 😅 I know that the guest network works off a different DHCP than the main DHCP, so devices can't talk to each other 👍🏻

Everything is still working fine since the rename, I 100% changed nothing else but the names of the devices using the mobile user interface (app) for the router

IMG_20230829_093841.jpg

Esp2 Esp4 are the previously named "Espressif Inc" and "tasmota-XXXXXX" devices

There's also Esp1 Esp3 Esp5 devices on the network that you can't see in the above screen shot that were also renamed

Can't argue with reality can you? Can't argue with fact? The name change was the only change I did and all the issues I was facing went away, maybe (home assistant) in a container and (mosquito) container look for that name, these are basically plugs with tasmota installed on them, hopefully you're all grasping at the fact I'm not an idiot, if I can setup up two docker containers and successfully, have them both talk to each other and physically flash hardware with a programmer

Last edited:
Ok the problem is back, so I guess renaming was a temporary fix, I'll now assign dedicated IP addresses and see if that works
Screenshot_2023-08-29-11-05-46-036_io.homeassistant.companion.android.jpg

I didn't change anything yet and they appear to be coming on and offline, but definitely after renaming the behaviour has changed

They use to disconnect then come back after 6 hours before the rename

After the rename they now disconnect and come back with in a few minutes?
Screenshot_2023-08-29-11-17-59-264_io.homeassistant.companion.android.jpg

I guess as a precaution I should assign them to just the main WiFi, not allow them to move to the node, and assign a dedicated IP address

After bounding them to the main router some have disconnected from the network completely and others are on the network but unaccessible, so I guess I'm now going to need to undo that, go in to each one, and specify an IP address to each ones web interface along with coming back to the router and redoing this bound, why can't things just be easy.... 😬😮‍💨

IMG_20230829_113100.jpg
IMG_20230829_113214.jpg
IMG_20230829_113402.jpg
Screenshot_2023-08-29-11-34-37-682_io.homeassistant.companion.android.jpg

Since you are repeatedly showing screen captures from what appears to be the Asus mobile app, does issue present in the Asus router GUI? Not sure if you've indicated the issue presenting in the GUI in addition to the mobile app.

I know that the guest network works off a different DHCP than the main DHCP, so devices can't talk to each other 👍🏻

Only Guest Wireless 1 does that and only when "access intranet" is disabled. And it only does that since 386 code base. That also is not what prevents them from talking to each other. A combination of firewall rules (IPTABLES and EBTABLES) along with AP isolation is what prevents the communication. If you wipe those out, the different subnets can talk to each other fine, since it is a router.

Guest 2 and 3 use firewall rules and AP isolation only to block access (along with some sort of ARP/broadcast blocking hidden somewhere in the firmware), they will be on the same subnet as your main LAN.

Can't argue with reality can you? Can't argue with fact?

Ok the problem is back, so I guess renaming was a temporary fix

Go figure. Maybe time to lose the attitude?

Sounds like this brand/device either has a buggy chipset or some odd incompatibility with the Asus wireless, but since Asus is using common radios and drivers, that is less likely. Probably need to focus on your devices rather than the router.

If you have them on a guest network, perhaps preventing them from communicating with each other is causing an issue so they give up and go into sleep mode or restart or something. Try them on the main LAN for a day or two just to see.

Follow your own advice and don't be so quick to dismiss those who are trying to help you.

Last edited:
Right well after going to the console with in these tasmota devices I entered "ipaddress1 192.168.50.X" X being the IP address, that worked then I set the IP address using the Asus WRT, I still believe renaming did something, since I've done all this it's been rock solid, case closed - thank you everyone who helped especially @bennor as you got the fix 🎉🎊

Devices that were named "tasmota-XXXXXX" where "X" is, is a random line of unique numbers to the hardware, get automatically renamed by Asus WRT as "Espressif Inc" if this happens to more than one device that was named "tasmota-XXXXXX" to "Espressif Inc" the router starts kicking devices IT renamed! So you end up with a bunch of devices offline!

Network Map is a bit buggy (actually a lot buggy).

Don't depend on it to be relevant in any case...

Hi,
I just wanted to chime in that this is definitly an existing issue.
I am running an Asus RT-AX88U Pro, and I am seeing the exact same behaviour: Tasmota devices seem to connect fine from the get-go, but after a while (could be hours, could be days) they " drop" off the router, and are unable to reconnect. This is definitely a router-side issue, as rebooting the Tasmota device provides no solution, but rebooting the router does.
Before I had an RT-6600 which had no such issues, so apparently something has changed in the Asus firmware.
It is a really annoying issue as the drop offs are very unpredictable and random.
I will try to make a ticket at Asus support for this as well.

Hendrik-Jan

Hi,
I just wanted to chime in that this is definitly an existing issue.
I am running an Asus RT-AX88U Pro, and I am seeing the exact same behaviour: Tasmota devices seem to connect fine from the get-go, but after a while (could be hours, could be days) they " drop" off the router, and are unable to reconnect. This is definitely a router-side issue, as rebooting the Tasmota device provides no solution, but rebooting the router does.
Before I had an RT-6600 which had no such issues, so apparently something has changed in the Asus firmware.
It is a really annoying issue as the drop offs are very unpredictable and random.
I will try to make a ticket at Asus support for this as well.

Hendrik-Jan
Unfortunately I can not comment on this anymore as I have switched to a Linksys router, thanks to my new isp, which came with 2 mesh units.

What I can say is, when I locked in the IP address router side and device side, the problem went away, I can confirm my end that they lasted more than aweek (7 days) without issue, obviously they are fine on my new router to..

With these devices with this firmware the only way to permanently set the IP address, is to go in to the devices console and set it by "ipaddress1 192.168.X.X" in the box. Please confirm you understand and have done this before continuing the discussion @hjheins "X" "X" needs to be replaced with the number of you're choice

Asus Routers are ok and also all 802.11ax routers.
The cause of this is that NONOS SDK disabled WMM/WME in espressif/ESP8266_NONOS_SDK used by Arduino Core (Tasmota).
The solution is setup tasmota devices to use Wi-Fi mode 802.11b/g.
You need to send the below command in Tasmota console webUI or through serial:

so the device will connect to the router in 802.11b/g mode.
Enjoy

I have seen this many times it’s something to do with asus dhcp. If i set manually static ip on all tasmota devices or other “iot” solves the disconnect issues. I mean not static in asus but in the device itself. After that I haven’t seen any drops or disconnects.

@SignedAdam: thanks. I already have part of the devices on dhcp with a fixed IP. however they seem to be just as problematic as the ones with no fixed IP.
@Mattias: thank you, so you say setting static on the Tasmota itself? Not sure if that will be smooth, I have seen networks where this is leading to issues. When doing that, this should be in a range outside the dhcp assigned range from the router, correct?
@dark: thank you for the hint, I will try this.

I will update in about a week when I have tested your suggestions
Thank you all for your suggestions!

Hnedrik-Jan

The cause of this is that NONOS SDK disabled WMM/WME in espressif/ESP8266_NONOS_SDK used by Arduino Core (Tasmota).

Hmmm - you know, that could be something - WME/WMM is required for 11n (frame aggregation) so putting the TASMOTA devices in to 11g mode could be a decent fix/workaround...

Thx for sharing...

Asus Routers are ok and also all 802.11ax routers.
You need to send the below command in Tasmota console webUI or through serial:

so the device will connect to the router in 802.11b/g mode.
Enjoy

An excellent reason to avoid Tasmota devices :)

An excellent reason to avoid Tasmota devices :)

Tasmota is FOSS for devices that may not longer be supported by their manufacturers...

Tasmota is FOSS for devices that may not longer be supported by their manufacturers...

Was that autocorrect for POS? :)

Was that autocorrect for POS? :)

That's not a nice comment for those working on Tasmota - I get the smiley face, but given the context - those folks are working to keep stuff going in an open-source context.

Yeah, the espressif BSP has issues... gotta do with what's on hand...

That's not a nice comment for those working on Tasmota - I get the smiley face, but given the context - those folks are working to keep stuff going in an open-source context.

Yeah, the espressif BSP has issues... gotta do with what's on hand...

Honestly I have no idea what Tasmota is (other than what you've told me). No "shade" intended toward those donating their time, but if I had a device that required B or G to operate, it would be retired to the closet. Or if there was no option but to run it, maybe a dedicated AP, but even then it is mucking up the environment.

It sounds like the issue started with a certain release of SDK so one would think it could be fixed.... but who knows.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!