What's new

tasmota devices failing to connect back - Asus WRT

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SignedAdam

Regular Contributor
Firmware version : 3.0.0.4.388
Hardware : GT-AX11000

Devices that were named "tasmota-XXXXXX" where "X" is, is a random line of unique numbers to the hardware, get automatically renamed by Asus WRT as "Espressif Inc" if this happens to more than one device that was named "tasmota-XXXXXX" to "Espressif Inc" the router starts kicking devices IT renamed! So you end up with a bunch of devices offline!

Screenshot_2023-08-28-09-02-28-139-edit_io.homeassistant.companion.android.jpg
Screenshot_2023-08-28-09-01-48-004-edit_com.asus.aihome.jpg

The fix for now is to rename every device to a manual rename that is different from each other, this resolves the issue. Please fix the bug asus

Have you reported the "bug" directly to ASUS?
I filled out the forum on the routers app, yes, however just in case that isn't enough or other people encounter the issue, then it's good to also just have a post like this up 👍🏻

Firmware version : 3.0.0.4.388
Hardware : GT-AX11000

Devices that were named "tasmota-XXXXXX" where "X" is, is a random line of unique numbers to the hardware, get automatically renamed by Asus WRT as "Espressif Inc" if this happens to more than one device that was named "tasmota-XXXXXX" to "Espressif Inc" the router starts kicking devices IT renamed! So you end up with a bunch of devices offline!

View attachment 52704View attachment 52705

The fix for now is to rename every device to a manual rename that is different from each other, this resolves the issue. Please fix the bug asus

The name shown in client list will show the hostname the device reports when receiving its DHCP lease. If it reports no name, Asus shows you the name of the company that the MAC address is registered to. Duplicates are not a problem as long as they have unique IPs, there is no bug there. If you look in DHCP leases you'll probably see a * for each one that is showing a manufacturer name, meaning it did not report its hostname when obtaining the lease.

If devices are going offline it is for some other reason, possibly a bug or possibly an issue with the devices themselves, or an issue with your wireless settings/environment.

You do not have a "bug." It is simply the router using the name of the chip manufacturer.

The name shown in client list will show the hostname the device reports when receiving its DHCP lease. If it reports no name, Asus shows you the name of the company that the MAC address is registered to. Duplicates are not a problem as long as they have unique IPs, there is no bug there. If you look in DHCP leases you'll probably see a * for each one that is showing a manufacturer name, meaning it did not report its hostname when obtaining the lease.

If devices are going offline it is for some other reason, possibly a bug or possibly an issue with the devices themselves, or an issue with your wireless settings/environment.
You're response to the behaviour I have experience today does not represent/ aline with reality, after I renamed the devices all of them came back online, like, literally after the rename everything was back working normally and hasn't went offline again since which, in my personal opinion, is concrete evidence that the renaming fixed the issue and the automatic renaming that Asus WRT performs was the cause of the problem

Don't be so quick to dismiss something

I filled out the forum on the routers app, yes, however just in case that isn't enough or other people encounter the issue, then it's good to also just have a post like this up 👍🏻
As a troubleshooting step, rather than renaming them, have you tried setting manual IP addresses for each of the IoT devices to see if that resolves the issue you are experiencing?

Have you checked the router logs to see if there is some other issue causing the IoT devices to go offline or not be properly seen?

Last edited:
If the issue does not appear again, after today's fix, then this is a bug in Asus's firmware, I will get back to you at a later stage, I'd expect the problem to come back in the next 48 hours if it isn't resolved and I will have a look at the logs @bennor

Are you using AiMesh and if so are these IoT devices connected through AiMesh nodes?

Are you using AiMesh and if so are these IoT devices connected through AiMesh nodes?
I'm using aimesh but none of the devices that are on the nodes are having problems, it's best just to wait and see if the problem reappears, if it doesn't then the renaming trick 100% is the fix, and Asus need to limit it to renaming one device of the same make... Or add numbers after each rename they automatically make.

You're response to the behaviour I have experience today does not represent/ aline with reality, after I renamed the devices all of them came back online, like, literally after the rename everything was back working normally and hasn't went offline again since which, in my personal opinion, is concrete evidence that the renaming fixed the issue and the automatic renaming that Asus WRT performs was the cause of the problem

Don't be so quick to dismiss something

The behavior has been present for many many years and has not caused devices to go offline for anyone else. Are the devices actually offline or just saying so in client list? Renaming them probably caused the router to send an ARP out and rediscovers them.

I always do manual IP assignment as that also updates the DNS hostname so everything is in synch, but having several generic names in the client list is fine/normal when a particular brand doesn't report a hostname.

I'm using aimesh but none of the devices that are on the nodes are having problems, it's best just to wait and see if the problem reappears, if it doesn't then the renaming trick 100% is the fix, and Asus need to limit it to renaming one device of the same make... Or add numbers after each rename they automatically make.

They aren't renaming anything, only displaying the MAC vendor when no name is present. That name is done dynamically when you open client list, it is not stored anywhere.

The behavior has been present for many many years and has not caused devices to go offline for anyone else. Are the devices actually offline or just saying so in client list? Renaming them probably caused the router to send an ARP out and rediscovers them.

I always do manual IP assignment as that also updates the DNS hostname so everything is in synch, but having several generic names in the client list is fine/normal when a particular brand doesn't report a hostname.
You're assumption is that it hasn't affected anyone else, just because no one has complained about it doesn't mean it hasn't effected anyone else, those that have been effected may not know about ip addresses or Mac addresses,

You may manage all you're ip addresses but not all of us wish to go to those length, that's like saying you should use the Ferrari to drop the kids off at school instead of the Tesla, sometimes just getting a connection is enough for some people these networking devices are some times bundled with internet service provider services.

People with half the knowledge we have should be able to use them, even people below that.

They aren't renaming anything, only displaying the MAC vendor when no name is present. That name is done dynamically when you open client list, it is not stored anywhere.
Something to do with renaming the devices has fixed the issue, explain that!

Aug 28 10:47:15 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(520): eth6: Disassoc xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Aug 28 10:47:15 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(520): eth6: Disassoc xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Aug 28 10:47:18 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(520): eth6: Disassoc xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Aug 28 10:47:18 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(520): eth6: Disassoc xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
Aug 28 10:47:19 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(539): eth6: Auth xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Aug 28 10:47:19 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(568): eth6: Assoc xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: Successful (0), rssi:-49
Aug 28 10:47:22 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(539): eth6: Auth xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
Aug 28 10:47:22 wlceventd: wlceventd_proc_event(568): eth6: Assoc xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, status: Successful (0), rssi:-50
This is all I could find in the logs, lots of it

This is all I could find in the logs, lots of it
What specific firmware are you using? 3.0.0.4.388.22525 or an earlier version of 3.0.0.4.388.x, or beta, for the GT-AX11000?

Since these are WiFi devices, are you connecting them to the main WiFi or to Guest Network WiFi? If Guest network WiFi, which Guest network? If Guest #1 try moving them to Guest #2 or #3.
How is the WiFi configured? Using WPA3 by chance on the 2.4GHz network?
What are the other WiFi settings?
Are the WiFi networks using independent SSID names or the same name for both 2.4 GHz an 5 GHz?
If the AiMesh nodes are not active does the issue persist?

Edit to add: As a troubleshooting step; have you tried a hard factory reset on the router and manual reconfigure?
Did you recently update the firmware? If so did this happen in the prior firmware?

What specific firmware are you using? 3.0.0.4.388.22525 or an earlier version of 3.0.0.4.388.x, or beta, for the GT-AX11000?

Since these are WiFi devices, are you connecting them to the main WiFi or to Guest Network WiFi? If Guest network WiFi, which Guest network? If Guest #1 try moving them to Guest #2 or #3.
How is the WiFi configured? Using WPA3 by chance on the 2.4GHz network?
What are the other WiFi settings?
Are the WiFi networks using independent SSID names or the same name for both 2.4 GHz an 5 GHz?
If the AiMesh nodes are not active does the issue persist?

Edit to add: As a troubleshooting step; have you tried a hard factory reset on the router and manual reconfigure?
Did you recently update the firmware? If so did this happen in the prior firmware?
GT-AX11000 3.0.0.4.388_23285 as the main
RT-AC86U 3.0.0.4.386_51915 as a node

Not connecting to a guest network, as mentioned before they are connecting to the 2.4GHz WiFi of mainly the GT-AX11000,
Password method is Wpa2-personal, as the issue has gone away after renaming I don't feel a need to change anymore settings, as changing the names of the devices seems to have resolved the issue, if the issue is still there, then it will reshow its self in 48 hours, if not then it's been resolved by renaming the devices connected or something has been triggered after renaming that has resolved the underliing issue

Not connecting to a guest network, as mentioned before they are connecting to the 2.4GHz WiFi of mainly the GT-AX11000,
Note that the AiMesh and WiFi Guest Network generally, for the purposes of my question, are two different things. One can enable Guest Network(s) to segment and move IoT devices off the router's main LAN WiFi network.

Guest Network.jpg

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!