What's new

The Boss House

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jdegid

New Around Here
Okay,
I have been given the task to update / redo the bosses house network. Sorry for the long post. I'm trying to give as much info I think might be needed.

Here is the current setup:

Verizon DSL modem connected to a Linksys HPro200. Not using the home wiring feature just setup as a router only. Connected to the router is a Linksys WAP500 g. This setup is horrible speed and horrible coverage.

He wants to scrap this mess of a network and start over. The house is roughly 4,000 square feet with allot of walls and stairs.

Here are the new requirements:
1. Max coverage of house. A must !
2. Integrate Apple TV
3. Integrate Playstation 3
4. Integrate Wireless Security camera
5. Must be capable to connect 3 dell computers
(2 with N card) (1 with G card).

** Must be able to upgrade to Fios easily when available in his area soon.

Here are my questions
1. Best wireless router for this setup?
2. If I need to boost signal the to certain areas of the house. What is the best way to do this without to much drop in speed?
3. Recommend security camera. ( $200 to $300 range)
4. Any other peripherals / hardware I might be missing for the Apple Tv and PS3 I might need to buy?

Thank you for your time to read this and comment.

Budget is always an issue but is somewhat open.

John

No single wireless router is going to provide whole house coverage. And wireless, even draft 11n, is unlikely to provide satisfactory gaming and HD video streaming, except for very short range.

Assuming there is no Ethernet available in the house, I would recommend using MoCA coax-based networking to at least support connection of multiple access points.

If you can, upgrade the one computer with 802.11g wireless to draft 802.11n. This will prevent performance reduction when both types of clients are active.

Look at Axis cameras.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!