What's new

The challenge!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ildicitronen

New Around Here
Hi all

Since this is my first thread on this forum, it might be in the wrong place, and for that i apologize.
Also the topic seems to cover several subforums, so this i where my post ended up. :)

The hardware:
Modem: Sagem FAST 3686 (DOCSIS 3.0 HW: V2.0 SW: TDC_3.48.0)
Router : ASUS RT-AC66U_B1 FW: ASUSWRT Merlin 380.65
NAS : Netgear ReadyNas 202 FW: 6.6.1

The modem is online and i have connected the WAN port from the router to A LAN port on the modem

The challenge:

-I want to connect my NAS to the ASUS router and to be able to connect to the internet via a VPN connection on the ASUS Router

-I would like to be able to connect to the internet on the modems WIFI without VPN.

-I would like to be able to connect to my NAS via the WIFI of the modem, so that i don't have to change WIFI network when having to access files or the GUI of the router.

Is this at all possible?, and if so how do i proceed?

If my explanation lacks details, please ask

Thanks in advance. :)

Last edited:
ofcourse its possible but is it practical? Nope. Its never really a good idea to have 2 lines on the same wire if they are different and work at will be doubling the bandwidth usage at least.

Really just use your modem as a modem, why bother with the wifi? You got a router with better wifi that the modem's wifi will just get in the way.

The other problem is that the modem's firmware isnt capable of it.

ofcourse its possible but is it practical? Nope. Its never really a good idea to have 2 lines on the same wire if they are different and work at will be doubling the bandwidth usage at least.

Really just use your modem as a modem, why bother with the wifi? You got a router with better wifi that the modem's wifi will just get in the way.

The other problem is that the modem's firmware isnt capable of it.
Got it working yesterday, but came to the conclution that the router is just to slow to handle VPN. I only get 8 mbps.

So i've thougth about using my PC as a VPN instead and setting the modem in bridge mode and only using the ASUS router.

Is there a prefrable way to do this?

Sendt fra min Nexus 6P med Tapatalk

using a vpn on the pc is better. setting modem to bridge mode and using the asus router as a router is much better. Just make sure vpn passthrough is enabled on the router

Got it working yesterday, but came to the conclution that the router is just to slow to handle VPN. I only get 8 mbps.

So i've thougth about using my PC as a VPN instead and setting the modem in bridge mode and only using the ASUS router.

Is there a prefrable way to do this?

Sendt fra min Nexus 6P med Tapatalk
Hi!
How did you get it working?
I have a new contract with IPTV and i got this same sagemcom 3686 modem. I hate it. Previously my asus router managed the VPN, but now i cannot make it work anyway. The sagemcom cannot be switched to bridge mode because of the IPTV, so my asus is out and the sagemcom VPN dont wanna work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!