What's new

[Thread-1] [ 386.1_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Running a4 on both the router and node.
This is the first build that I actually have clients assigned and working though the node.
Previously, I saw good status on the backhaul, node was added, etc. Everything was great, well, except no client ever used the node.

I have zero issues with a mix of old 2.4 GHz IoT, 5 GHz ac, and wired clients.
There are two MoCA and two wireline segments on my LAN. The MoCA supports all but the office devices it is install with, also where the cable mode is located. The wireline supports the node as it is in a bad location for anything else.

Just did a dirty upgrade to the new alpha4 on my AX88U with 3 nodes (AC68U). Everything working without issues. I'll continue to test and monitor but @RMerlin you definitely outdid yourself with this firmware and its not even in beta or finalized yet. Keep up the great work!!! Very stable for being in alpha status.

I have move from RT-AC68U alpha 3 to 386.1_alpha4-gd4b7146753 and SSH seems to be an issue. I have tried everything and it doesn't seem to work. Access Denied and the information is definitely correct. I haven't tried downgrading yet. That is the only thing I haven't done thus far. Has anyone else seen this?

I have move from RT-AC68U alpha 3 to 386.1_alpha4-gd4b7146753 and SSH seems to be an issue. I have tried everything and it doesn't seem to work. Access Denied and the information is definitely correct. I haven't tried downgrading yet. That is the only thing I haven't done thus far. Has anyone else seen this?
Likely the SSH key has changed.

Tried everything? Such as...

Did you try deleting the old key?

I was wrong! Dirty upgrade lives on! Now testing with RT-AX88U (main), RT-AX86U, and RT-AX58U AiMesh nodes.

Just a quick update on this (please see the details in the link above.

I was able to add an RT-AX86U as an AiMesh node even though the RT-AX58U could not be connected, even with all the things I tried as outlined in the link above. The RT-AX86U as a node is superior, btw (vs. the RT-AX58U when it worked on Alpha 3 and now on Alpha 4).

Without needing to stop, disable, or otherwise hamper any scripts (nor physically removing the USB drive either), how I got the 'AX58U to connect was by connecting it to the main router via it's WAN port.

The testing continues but just wanted to report the progress so far.

Lesson learned: AiMesh should connect wirelessly, but it doesn't hurt to test wired mode either. ;)

Last edited:
Shot in dark, because i know AIMesh is out of scope, but anyone seeing "1G WAN First" only, when trying to prefer Ethernet backhaul? I have a mix of wired and wireless nodes, so i can't just enable ethernet backhaul.

Is anyone using guest network on RT-AX88U and notice issue with dhcp, mine says dhcp error and doesn't assign ip address to guest network clients. I also did factory reset and try again and it still same, under wireless log for guest client I see mac address, but instead of ip address I see not found and under mac add where normally name appear it also have not found appearing.

Switching Alpha 3 and all is good.

I was wrong! Dirty upgrade lives on! Now testing with RT-AX88U (main), RT-AX86U, and RT-AX58U AiMesh nodes.

Just a quick update on this (please see the details in the link above.

I was able to add an RT-AX86U as an AiMesh node even though the RT-AX58U could not be connected, even with all the things I tried as outlined in the link above. The RT-AX86U as a node is superior, btw (vs. the RT-AX58U when it worked on Alpha 3 and now on Alpha 4).

Without needing to stop, disable, or otherwise hamper any scripts (nor physically removing the USB drive either), how I got the 'AX58U to connect was by connecting it to the main router via it's WAN port.

The testing continues but just wanted to report the progress so far.

Lesson learned: AiMesh should connect wirelessly, but it doesn't hurt to test wired mode either. ;)
Did you try Asus original firmware on the RT-AX58U? IMO since its operating as an AI-Mesh node it really doesn't need Merlins firmware.

Regarding IPSET on this new 386.1 (alpha) releases...Did I miss it or did no one mention it yet:

Warning: Kernel support protocol versions 6-6 while userspace supports protocol versions 6-7
unknown ipset version

e.g. for the ya-malware-block.sh scripts

- REMOVED: fq_codel support for Adaptive QoS. Due to a change in how Trend Micro configures QoS, it is no longer possible to intercept these to inject fq_codel.

Does this also mean fq_codel no longer work correctly for older builds (such as 384.19) either?

Need some help with alpha 4
1) when changing any wifi setting the wan disconnects. Only reboot helps to fix this

2) smart devices connected to 5ghz band don't show up in google home app. I plan to use wireless mac filtering to block the devices to use the 5ghz band. Does it mean that the device auto-switch to 2.4ghz?

Tried the alpha 4 version on my 5300. It did not go well. I only showed 6 of 23 clients connected, and the WAN was totally down. The 5300 seems to have problems with this iteration. Rolled back to 19 without difficulty...

Regarding IPSET on this new 386.1 (alpha) releases...Did I miss it or did no one mention it yet:

Warning: Kernel support protocol versions 6-6 while userspace supports protocol versions 6-7
unknown ipset version

e.g. for the ya-malware-block.sh scripts
ya-malware-block.sh script should be modified to recognise/allow "v7" whilst suppressing the "Warning:" message text
Code:
case $(ipset -v | grep -o "v[4,6]") in
  v6) MATCH_SET='--match-set'; CREATE='n'; DESTROY='destroy'; RESTORE='restore'; ADD='add'; SWAP='swap'; IPHASH='hash:ip'; NETHASH='hash:net'; ESL=7
      lsmod | grep -q "xt_set" || for module in ip_set ip_set_hash_net ip_set_hash_ip xt_set; do modprobe $module; done;;
  v4) MATCH_SET='--set'; CREATE='-N'; DESTROY='--destroy'; RESTORE='--restore'; ADD='-A'; SWAP='--swap'; IPHASH='iphash'; NETHASH='nethash'; ESL=6
      lsmod | grep -q "ipt_set" || for module in ip_set ip_set_nethash ip_set_iphash ipt_set; do modprobe $module; done;;
  *) logger -t Firewall "$0: Unknown ipset version. Exiting." && exit 1;;
esac
change to
Code:
case $(ipset -v 2> /dev/null | grep -io "v[4-9]") in
  v6|v7) MATCH_SET='--match-set'; CREATE='n'; DESTROY='destroy'; RESTORE='restore'; ADD='add'; SWAP='swap'; IPHASH='hash:ip'; NETHASH='hash:net'; ESL=7
      lsmod | grep -q "xt_set" || for module in ip_set ip_set_hash_net ip_set_hash_ip xt_set; do modprobe $module; done;;
  v4) MATCH_SET='--set'; CREATE='-N'; DESTROY='--destroy'; RESTORE='--restore'; ADD='-A'; SWAP='--swap'; IPHASH='iphash'; NETHASH='nethash'; ESL=6
      lsmod | grep -q "ipt_set" || for module in ip_set ip_set_nethash ip_set_iphash ipt_set; do modprobe $module; done;;
  *) logger -t Firewall "$0: Unknown ipset version. Exiting." && exit 1;;
esac

Tried the alpha 4 version on my 5300. It did not go well. I only showed 6 of 23 clients connected, and the WAN was totally down. The 5300 seems to have problems with this iteration. Rolled back to 19 without difficulty...
I had an issue where the WAN went down and went into my MTU setting and it was blank. Once I set it to 1500, the wan worked and everything was fine.

I too have been having issues with the AC5300 and these builds. Same issue with clients, every client is also appearing as ethernet connected. Can't do AiMesh. WiFi completely shuts down after 30mins (restarting brings it back online, but then goes down again).
Not sure what is driving the issues vs the others on here with different hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!