What's new

[Thread-1] [ 386.1_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's how Asus implemented it. If the field is empty (or equal to 0), then the default MTU will be used.

Not true with the ac3100. A value must be set manually to save any settings on that page.

hello, first time posting on the forum but a fan of RMerlin way before. I want to thank you for your work.
I've tried the ax86u alpha3 on my router. ethernet 1-4 ports wasn't working, pppoe on wan port was buggy. 2.5g port and wan port was the only functional ports on ethernet.

You need to set DNSFiler to Router.

Abs the DNS it will use is specified on the WAN DNS settings page.
I thought the one that can be set in LAN was supposed to override it and you were supposed to set LAN DNS because it hands the DNS to all the client devices.

192.168.1.2 is my router's LAN IP.

My LAN DHCP DNS1 is 192.168.1.2 on the client side. On the config I have both fields blank and Advertise router's IP in addition to user-specified DNS set to Yes.
Disabled advertising router IP, that's the issue.

It's a shame that I have to do a factory reset when installing AiMesh 2.0.
A lot of that is manually configured.
1. DHCP Reservation
2. OpenVPN (2 servers)
3. OpenVPN (5 clients)
4. Manual naming of LAN clients
5. AiMesh with AC66U_B1
6.2 guest networks at 2.4GHz
7.1 local network for 5GHz
8.4 rules for forwarding ports from the Internet
9. DDNS

Tell me, after a reset, an update to 2.0 - is it possible to load the backup back?

1. DHCP Reservation
2. OpenVPN (2 servers)
3. OpenVPN (5 clients)
5. AiMesh with AC66U_B1
9. DDNS

Tell me, after a reset, an update to 2.0 - is it possible to load the backup back?
You only need to reset nod router with reset button. Remember to turn wps off after its connected.

Last edited:
You only need to reset nod router with reset button. Remember to turn wps off after its connected.
It's clear. The question is, can I fill the old backup from 384.19 into the router after the reset and upgrade to 2.0?

It's clear. The question is, can I fill the old backup from 384.19 into the router after the reset and upgrade to 2.0?
No, its a new code base and new variables. Redo all settings by hand don't load saved file. GL.

Updated one of my routers to alpha2. I did a complete reset including whipping the JFFS partition after updating. Everything works well so far, even Snort and Cake-QoS. The only annoyance I encountered is with the 5G radio. It takes about 2 minutes to restart after making changes to the config. Compared to the 2.4Ghz radio which is up and running within seconds.

Updated one of my routers to alpha2. I did a complete reset including whipping the JFFS partition after updating. Everything works well so far, even Snort and Cake-QoS. The only annoyance I encountered is with the 5G radio. It takes about 2 minutes to restart after making changes to the config. Compared to the 2.4Ghz radio which is up and running within seconds.
Yes, If you use DFS channels it must scan first for radar then turn 5ghz ON.

hello, first time posting on the forum but a fan of RMerlin way before. I want to thank you for your work.
I've tried the ax86u alpha3 on my router. ethernet 1-4 ports wasn't working, pppoe on wan port was buggy. 2.5g port and wan port was the only functional ports on ethernet.
Same case here. Ethernet ports 1-4 not operational after upgrade.

Nah...... :)
not yet, but not long.
my gut tells me the ac86 will turn out to be the ac68 of the current generation - popular, stable, long lived. nodes to big AX models in aimesh.

1. DHCP Reservation
2. OpenVPN (2 servers)
3. OpenVPN (5 clients)
5. AiMesh with AC66U_B1
9. DDNS

I upgraded from 384.19 to 386.1 alpha2 with no issues. So, a factory reset is not required. Advised maybe but not required

Last edited:
I upgraded from 384.19 to 387.1 alpha2 with no issues. So, a factory reset is not required. Advised maybe but not required
Yes, I did that first but run into all kind of problem. But that you discover rigt fast.

Yes, If you use DFS channels it must scan first for radar then turn 5ghz ON.
I'm using UNII-1 channels. Right now it's fixed set on channel 44.

Got an RT-AX86U today and flashed with alpha 3. Did a reset holding the reset button for 10 seconds and let go, also did a reset via GUI over WiFi as the LAN wasn't working.

LAN ports (1-4) still aren't working for me. I'll revert to stock firmware tomorrow to see if the LAN ports start working again. WiFi seems to work fine however.

Some of my syslog here, I have removed my mac address.
Code:
May  5 05:31:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: Can't open database unable to open database file
May  5 05:31:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: <NET>C>192.168.50.1>[mac address removed]>0>0>-1>-1>-1>0>3>-1>-1
May  5 05:31:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: Can't open database unable to open database file
May  5 05:31:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: <ETHINFO>C>192.168.50.1>[mac address removed]>FH>-1>-1>221.0>135.1
May  5 05:31:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: <ETHINFO>C>192.168.50.1>[mac address removed]>BH>-1>-1>0>0
May  5 05:32:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: <SYS2>C>192.168.50.1>[mac address removed]>-1>613312>-1>-1>-1
May  5 05:32:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: Can't open database unable to open database file

Edit: also thanks for everything :) I'll keep using my AC68U and testing the AX68U on each of the builds.

Last edited:
Problem is, when it works as expected using clean browsing or ad guard it does resolve to a pretty access denied page. That is behavior I'm trying to get. I appreciate all the help and I wish I could identify some root cause. All the iptables and Nat rules appear in order.

So I dug into this a little more this morning. To my annoyance, performing nslookup from the command line was performing 100% perfectly so I examined my connections on the router to discover that when I hardcoded a DNS server on the client, that server was being hit by my browser on 443 (DoH). Apparently this is the default behavior of chromium based browsers and really makes it easy to circumvent DNSFilter. To prove this out, I created some static routes from google dns to my router and it works as expected. Since I can't redirect all 443 traffic to my router I'm not sure this is an easy problem to solve. I did read some commentary from @RMerlin about his dislike of principles of DoH one reason was repurposing the port (443) for a different protocol among others. Hope I'm not misinterpreting that, but I can say I'm on the wagon now too.

With modern chromium browsers using DoH (by default) I suppose the direction here is to redirect a list of DoH servers to the router's DNS server... bummer...

Disabled advertising router IP, that's the issue.
I don't see how this would make a difference. That setting should really be "Append" not "Advertise" Moreover, using the router's DNS service is the behavior I desire, why would removing it improve the situation? Also, I believe windows clients will assume the DHCP server is also the DNS server if none is specific thereby making it exactly the same. I'll try it and update if it makes a difference.

Edit: no difference and assumption on windows 10 client is correct, results in same dns server client side (assumes dhcp server is dns server unless otherwise specified)

Last edited:
I don't see how this would make a difference. That setting should really be "Append" not "Advertise" Moreover, using the router's DNS service is the behavior I desire, why would removing it improve the situation? Also, I believe windows clients will assume the DHCP server is also the DNS server if none is specific thereby making it exactly the same. I'll try it and update if it makes a difference.

Edit: no difference and assumption on windows 10 client is correct, results in same dns server client side (assumes dhcp server is dns server unless otherwise specified)
Correct, that setting only comes into play if either of the LAN DHCP DNS1 or DNS2 fields are populated. Otherwise it's ignored.

Got an RT-AX86U today and flashed with alpha 3. Did a reset holding the reset button for 10 seconds and let go, also did a reset via GUI over WiFi as the LAN wasn't working.

LAN ports (1-4) still aren't working for me. I'll revert to stock firmware tomorrow to see if the LAN ports start working again. WiFi seems to work fine however.

Some of my syslog here, I have removed my mac address.
Code:
May  5 05:31:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: <NET>C>192.168.50.1>[mac address removed]>0>0>-1>-1>-1>0>3>-1>-1
May  5 05:31:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: <ETHINFO>C>192.168.50.1>[mac address removed]>FH>-1>-1>221.0>135.1
May  5 05:31:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: <ETHINFO>C>192.168.50.1>[mac address removed]>BH>-1>-1>0>0
May  5 05:32:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: <SYS2>C>192.168.50.1>[mac address removed]>-1>613312>-1>-1>-1
May  5 05:32:45 conn_diag[1423]: CONNDIAG: Can't open database unable to open database file

Edit: also thanks for everything :) I'll keep using my AC68U and testing the AX68U on each of the builds.
Correct reset procedure for AX86U:
ASUS router Hard Factory Reset - Method 2

1. Turn the router off.
2. Press and hold the "WPS" button and turn the router on.
3. Power light is on (keep holding the WPS button).
4. Release the WPS button after the power light is off.
5. Reboot your router by manually pressing the power button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!