What's new

[Thread-1] [ 386.1_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Merlin Any idea why Asus did not include the speed test for the AX58U ?

I can access it using the asp URL for it, /AdaptiveQoS_InternetSpeed.asp but on mine, it doesn't run. Also I'm missing the Classification tab but I don't remember if it was there in 384 for the RT-AX58U since I don't use QoS

Interesting.. Did you Factory reset? I have always seen the Classifications.. I have a minor problem with the Gui on that page with Chrome but its fine in Edge (Chromium). The Speed test is there using the URL but like yours, it doesnt do anything except change to testing when you click the "Go" button
]

Attachments

• asus1.JPG
    asus1.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
@Merlin. Why is a reformat of JFFS needed for the AX58U ? If not formatted it shows as unmounted. Also being forced to enter the MTU is different and certainly not required in stock code. Other then that it works very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dirty upgrade from 389.19 on RT-AX58U, all looks fine, thanks! :)

Router crashes and restarts when opening USB applications -> Servers Center.
Using only diversion.
Don't see the speedtest in Adaptive QoS https://www.snbforums.com/threads/t...s-testing-available-build-s.67101/post-631095

No probs on my 58U after a factory reset.. .. you may want to try that.. I know its a PITA but mine seems to be working fine.. There is no working Speed test in the 58U.. the URL is there but it does nothing

Interesting.. Did you Factory reset? I have always seen the Classifications.. I have a minor problem with the Gui on that page with Chrome but its fine in Edge (Chromium). The Speed test is there using the URL but like yours, it doesnt do anything except change to testing when you click the "Go" button
]

I'm actually not running Alpha 3, I'm on the newer Beta code that Asus released, so it might be specific to that code base,

This is normal. Check the Wireless Log status page, it will tell you it's currently doing DFS scanning.
I thought that 36, 40, 44 and 48 are not DFS but UNII-1 channels. I didn't experience that delay with 384.19 and older on the same channels.

Dirty upgrade from Alpha2 to Alpha3. Running fine, except the Clients list does not populate (which was the case with Alpha2 as well).

Dirty upgrade two times over, 384.19 to 386.1 alpha 2, to 386.1 alpha 3. All good here didn't skip a beat.

AX58U will lose some functionalities that AX88U has, such as Open NAT. So I would guess Asus does not intend to release those functionalities on ARMv7l routers since I see AC86U has it(Same amount of RAM with AX58U but AC86U is 64-bit kernel while AX58U runs completely on 32-bit).

Went from latest stable to alpha 3 on my two RT-AC68U. Cleared NVRAM on both after flash and rebooted a 2nd time on both so JFFS would mount. Set up AiMesh with ethernet backhaul without any problems.

QoS seems broken - using Adaptive QoS sites won't load all the way, or if they do they take forever. Traditional QoS also seems to be poorly performing, with Core 1 hitting 99% load and only able to get 200mbps on speed test (normally my connection tops out at 360mbps). With QoS off I get my 360mbps (though core 1 still shows 99% usage). This is on wired connection -> aimesh node -> wired backhaul -> main router -> cable modem. Only other setting I changed is using my own DNS servers and enabling DNS over TLS.

Edit: QoS issue doesn't seem to be present in the latest ASUS AiMesh2 RC firmware. Then again, it's not quite an Apples to Apples comparison. On the firmware from ASUS, the version number seems higher and there are no DNS over TLS options for me to turn on.

Last edited:
There are no public indications that Merlin has received any GPL source from Asus newer than 40577. So believe the changelog and Github and assume it’s still based on 40577.
Over in the ASUSWRT forums, RMerlin confirms he is still using the 40577 GPL.

I thought that 36, 40, 44 and 48 are not DFS but UNII-1 channels. I didn't experience that delay with 384.19 and older on the same channels.

44 is the center channel. You are using 80 MHz worth of bandwidth below, and another 80 MHz above that, which extends into DFS territory.

I updated dirty flash from 9.0.0.4.386_40577 to Alpha 2 onto two RT-AC5300's. Firmware upgrade went fine to the node first and then the router. Router was up fast. Airmesh node did not come up automatically. Hard reset both router and node and did a new manual setup. Tried multiple times to find the node (it was set up as a new airmesh node) and it did not show up. I ended up going back to 9.0.0.4.386_40577 . Does anyone have Alpha 2 or Alpha 3 working with Airmesh and 2 of RT-AC5300

@RMerlin I'm running alpha 3 on my 5300. Everything seems okay but it seems to be missing the "Game" section that that 384.19.0 stable had. Did you purposely remove it or was that a change on Asus' side?

I am facing this issue with Alpha3 on AX86U as well. Diversion wasnt about to install because of this problem. Any ideas?

Entware support is not implemented yet on the RT-AX86U.

This is a new model, support is still being gradually implemented, it's a work-in-progress.

@RMerlin I'm running alpha 3 on my 5300. Everything seems okay but it seems to be missing the "Game" section that that 384.19.0 stable had. Did you purposely remove it or was that a change on Asus' side?

Early development, I have not uniformized build profiles yet.

Folks, I cannot stress this enough. These are ALPHA builds. That means work in progress, a lot of things are still being actively implemented. So yes, expect things to not be done yet, this is normal. Until it reaches official beta stage, expect things to NOT fully be implemented yet.

Entware support is not implemented yet on the RT-AX86U.

This is a new model, support is still being gradually implemented, it's a work-in-progress.

Early development, I have not uniformized build profiles yet.

Folks, I cannot stress this enough. These are ALPHA builds. That means work in progress, a lot of things are still being actively implemented. So yes, expect things to not be done yet, this is normal. Until it reaches official beta stage, expect things to NOT fully be implemented yet.
This is why I'm against these alpha threads. A lot of people dive in head first not realising just how deep and untested the waters are.... Then complain about it.

If you need every feature to "just work", DON'T USE ALPHA OR BETA FIRMWARE.

If you are happy for some things to potentially be broken or unstable, when a beta is released install that and join the testing effort.

Alpha stage releases have no testing, and reporting things not working isn't particularly helpful as RMerlin knows what does and doesn't work already during the alpha development.

/rant

This is why I'm against these alpha threads. A lot of people dive in head first not realising just how deep and untested the waters are.... Then complain about it.

If you need every feature to "just work", DON'T USE ALPHA OR BETA FIRMWARE.

If you are happy for some things to potentially be broken or unstable, when a beta is released install that and join the testing effort.

Alpha stage releases have no testing, and reporting things not working isn't particularly helpful as RMerlin knows what does and doesn't work already during the alpha development.

/rant
I do have to say... Even as an alpha from Beta 386 RC2, @RMerlin still has the most stable firmware. Honestly, people could follow his commits on his github and see where he is at with everything before flashing to that next alpha release. If people cannot understand what is going on, they probably should wait till the final release before flashing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!