What's new

Topology question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nbdwt73

Regular Contributor
I have a large (long) building with a main router (AC86U) with two mesh points. The first mesh point is about 60 feet from the main router with an ethernet backhaul. My question is - does it make a difference if I connect the second mesh point (another 70 feet further away, also ethernet backhaul) directly to the first mesh point or use a switch such that both mesh points are at the same level to the main router? I know that either way works - I am asking an efficiency question... (or better yet, what is considered the proper way)...

With Ethernet backhaul, it won't matter. As long as each run is less than 100M.

Either option should be fine. Distance is still under the max length for Ethernet.

For performance tying things into a switch would allow faster speeds between devices that don't need to be routed outside of the LAN.

Run an Ethernet cable from the AC86U to the distant mesh node. 130 FT is not that far. Avoid a switch especially a managed switch to connect the nodes.

Thanks for the recommendations...