What's new

TP-LINK AV2000 + AV500 on the same network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mspy

New Around Here
I have 2 TP-Link AV500 Wifi Powerline adapters (one that injects the internet signal from the modem into the electric wiring in the wall of my home and another that receives the internet signal provided by the first adapter on another room).

My question is if I now buy another TP-Link Wifi Powerline pack, lets say the AV2000 one, and use one of the adapters of that pack to replace the old AV500 one and inject the internet signal from the modem into the electric wiring in the wall of my home will I be able to connect the AV2000 receiver in room 1 AS WELL as the old AV500 receiver in room 2 and make use of the full speed that AV2000 receiver should provide on room 1 and a lower speed that AV500 should provide on room 2 OR the whole network (room 1 and 2) will be slowed down to the AV500 receiver speed despite having a AV2000 injector and a AV2000 receiver ?

This is what TP-LINK says on their website, as you can see the wording is a bit confusing to me:
TP-LINK AV200,AV500,AV600 powerline adapters adopte HomePlug AV Standard, so they are compatible with each other,AV1200 adopt HomePlug AV2,that is also backward compatible with HomePlug AV standard,which means TP-LINK AV200,AV500,AV600,AV1200 are all compatible with each other.However, the powerline rate will drop to lowest one’s rate when use different AV adapters together.

I have 2 TP-Link AV500 Wifi Powerline adapters (one that injects the internet signal from the modem into the electric wiring in the wall of my home and another that receives the internet signal provided by the first adapter on another room).
Please clarify what device your internet "modem" is. Specifically, is it just a modem (it has 1 LAN socket) or is it a combination modem/router (with multiple LAN sockets and maybe WiFi as well)?

Also, what is connected to the "receiving" adaptor in the other room. Is it a single device like a PC or is it a wireless router?

Please clarify what device your internet "modem" is. Specifically, is it just a modem (it has 1 LAN socket) or is it a combination modem/router (with multiple LAN sockets and maybe WiFi as well)?
It is a combination modem/router (with multiple LAN sockets and WiFi or wireless not sure)

Also, what is connected to the "receiving" adaptor in the other room. Is it a single device like a PC or is it a wireless router?
The receiving adapter is connected to a PC via LAN cable and I often use the WiFi that the powerline provides to connect mobile phones and devices such as iPad. No other wireless router is connected on the receiving end.

It is a combination modem/router (with multiple LAN sockets and WiFi or wireless not sure)
OK thanks for that, just wanted to be absolutely sure I understood you.

Regarding your main question, as I understand it mixing AV2000 and AV500 devices will result in them all operating at AV500 speeds. But I don't know that absolutely so I'll leave the definitive answer to the experts, like @sfx2000 ;).

Regarding your main question, as I understand it mixing AV2000 and AV500 devices will result in them all operating at AV500 speeds. But I don't know that absolutely so I'll leave the definitive answer to the experts, like @sfx2000 ;).

If that is the case I guess I will disconnect the AV500 from the grid but I too would like confirmation on that.

I've another question thou, TP-Link provides an utility that can be used to see the Powerline network, my confusing comes from the button right corner of it where it says that the Powerline Rate is 50 Mbps (with AV500) my question is if this is the theoretically maximum speed that my wired cables are able to deliver meaning if I buy an AV2000 the speed will never go over 50 Mbps anyways or will it?
As you can see in the picture below it says that the rate is 50 Mbps but it also says 80 Mbps somewhere :confused:

https://imgur.com/a/cecWxKP
cecWxKP

My guess is that is just a legend indicating that an orange line means >50Mbps and a black line means <50Mbps. So in your example the main picture has an orange line because the transmission capacity is 80Mbps (i.e. >50Mbps).

OK thanks for that, just wanted to be absolutely sure I understood you.

Always best to use the same speed HPAV adapters across things...

Based on the answers in this faq, it seems possible to create 2 separate powerline networks, one for the 500 and one for the 2000 and each will work at its own speed, no?

Might work - never did that one...

I've done two AV-1200 spreads - long story, but it came down to each end-point pair having it's own keysets...

Might work - never did that one...

I've done two AV-1200 spreads - long story, but it came down to each end-point pair having it's own keysets...
That's kinda what I was thinking. And if this works, then I have some upgrading to do. :D