What's new

TP-Link EAP225v3 AC1350 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

How are folks finding these new AP's roam when using multiples? Was looking to have one on my main floor, one on my upper floor, and one outside in a cabana.
There is a new firmware release (2.3.0) in late July that adds support for "Fast Roaming (802.11k/v) which can improve user experience when roaming between the EAPs" (IF you have a device that supports it).

My old Galaxy Alpha phone (Android Lollipop) roams like a champ between my two APs.

That's impressive, since even Ubiquiti Unifi APs do not support 802.11k/v
If that is true, Ubiquiti is running behind. Many consumer mesh products now also support 11k and v (and sometimes r).

How well they support it and which features they support is another matter.

I'm currently deploying several EAP225 AP's throughout my house, noticed though that it only displays one SSID. I'm used to seeing two, one for the 2ghz radio and the other with SSID Name-5G on it for the second band.

Curious why only one shows up, is there some sort of automatic switching going on where it just hits the strongest SSID or have I just set it up wrong?

@pbc Yes, band steering needs the same SSID on 2.4 and 5 GHz. It will connect you to 5 GHz if possible, else 2.4 GHz.

@thiggins It's a pity that you haven't test the TP-Link OC200 cloud controller with serveral EAP225 v3's. Fast roaming (802.11 k/v) is working excellent at my house! I'm 99% sure you will keep the stuff to replace your existing Ubiquiti.

The only thing which was holding you back has been solved now:

30721815198_0bb84ec53c_c.jpg

Edit: I just found out that the EAP245 v3 will be available any day now. This is the AC1750 model. I guess this one will perform even better.

Last edited:
@umarmung and @thiggins - Ubiquiti's Unifi supports 802.11k/v, as well as many more features not supported by TP-Link. Some features require checking "Advanced Features" under "Site - Services" in the Unifi Controller software.

MU-MIMO's should be compared to other MU-MIMO's. Thereby for Ubiquiti, the nanoHD would be the entry level MU-MIMO comparison, while the AP HD, AP SHD, and AP XG are more equipped. Quite honestly, it is all about load, and how these units perform with 70- 100 devices connected. I can attest to the nanoHD in various recent installs performing quite admirable; speedy, fast negotiation, and stable. Using 20 Mhz for 2.4 and 40 Mhz for 5.

That said, I appreciate that TP-Link has the flexibility of both stand-alone (for small office or home installs) or controller-based. Ubiquiti's products are a beast, they are the products I always specify in bids. And their routers have no comparison in their price point.

Thank you for posting everyone!

Last edited:
I'm wondering if the EAP245v1 which uses a Wave2 AC wifi chip is Fast Roaming k/v enabled like the 225v3 ?

I just asked TPlink support, but tough I might get a better and faster answer here.

Thanks

SAw this too, but was wondering if this might be outdated a bit.

I've verified and you're right - theyre the older chips without fast roaming,..

Last edited:
Not to necro a month old thread. I inherited a Edgerouter ER-4 from a buddy and I am finally taking the plunge into using dedicated access points with the router over my current AC-68u all in one router solution.

My question is: Can the Asus AC-68u work just as well as the TP-Link EAP225v3 in AP mode? I already have one EAP225v3 but due to the large house install I need a second AP. It is my opinion due to the Omada software for the TP-link, I should probably keep the AP's the same. BUT since I have a perfectly working AC1900 ASUS router, is it better to just keep that one as AP1 and the TP Link as AP2 and lose the "steering" or "mesh" functionality of the newer TP-Links.

Appreciate the help.

If you have only two AP, you don't really need the controller (either soft or hardware).
I have two 225v3 APs with the controller, but I don't even enable fast roaming functions, because after extensive testing, some of my devices don't behave well with it. Also, that fast roaming is not the good "R" version anyway. Plus, the fast roaming is only the APs point of view which can differ from the devices point of view, and as its the devices that make the decisions, that K,v fast roaming is not needed nor respected that much.... (for my 2 APs setup at least)
But with fast roaming off, and the APs far enough, its perfect!

... So to answer your question.. 1 Eap225 + 1 AC68u in AP mode is perfect. Place them far enough... In the middle their respective zones. I do one in the middle of my inside house and one in the middle of my garage + backyard zone

Hows the firmware on this thing? TP-Link seems to be pretty stingy on firmware updates, but maybe they are mostly stable and bug free?

Anyone know if they are planning on releasing the V3 update to the 245 in the states?

Good morning to you all. I was going to buy this product for my appartement, one floor and center positionned with ethernet backbone. Maybe add another one on the way.

I found on tplink website that there are more "advanced versions", like the EAP330 AC1900. Will this be a better version/more curent version than the one reviewed ? Also there is a AC 1750 (EAP 245)

Thank you for your time and explanation

The EAP320 and EAP330 are the older products. The newest here in europe is the EAP245v3.
I'm not shure what productline i prefer. The CAP with hardwarecontroller or the EAP with softwarecontroller.

So there are 3 different ways for me:

1. CAP1750 with AC50
2. EAP245v3 with OC200
3. Unifi UAP-AC-Pro with Cloudkey

Kind regards
Chris

Hello, does anyone have experience with setting up the access controls in the Omada Controller? I tried setting up a rule to block all subnet 192.168.0.0/16, but when I connect to the SSID with that rule, my device can still access internet and the whole network. From what I read, I should be able to set up access control rules to isolate clients connected to the SSID from other clients in different SSID or even connected via Ethernet to the router.

The EAP320 and EAP330 are the older products. The newest here in europe is the EAP245v3.
I'm not shure what productline i prefer. The CAP with hardwarecontroller or the EAP with softwarecontroller.

So there are 3 different ways for me:

1. CAP1750 with AC50
2. EAP245v3 with OC200
3. Unifi UAP-AC-Pro with Cloudkey

Kind regards
Chris

Thank you for your reply. did anyone test the 245v3 against the 225v3 ? is it better ?

On this page i can see a comparison, the 245 doesn't have beamforming and airfairness.
https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-4908_EAP225.html

best

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!