1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

TP-Link EAP225v3 AC1350 Wireless MU-MIMO Gigabit Ceiling Mount Access Point Reviewed

Discussion in 'Wireless Article Discussions' started by thiggins, Jun 20, 2018.

1. TD22057

TD22057 New Around Here

Why does the link for "baltic" show the newer 245 and the "us" shows the older version? Is the newer version available yet? I can't find it for sale anywhere.

[Edit]: Having re-read the thread more carefully, I see this is available in Europe but seemingly not in the US. I don't suppose anyone has any idea when/if the updated 245 will be released in the US for sale?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  2. TD22057

TD22057 New Around Here

FYI - in case anyone else cares, a rep on the TP-Link forum told me that the EAP245v3 will be available in the US in late March.

3. mackworth

mackworth Occasional Visitor

Thanks for checking. It's been hard not to bite on the all the 225 deals, but I have a few 3x3 devices, so I really wanted to wait. Now depending on the price, I will need to decide if I should skip a generation and move to ax.

4. TD22057

TD22057 New Around Here

I'm in the same boat. There isn't very much in the FCC pipeline for an AP with ax support though so I expect it will be a lot closer to 2020 before anything is available.

5. FrancescoHere

FrancescoHere New Around Here

I am in france and wanted to buy the 245 v3, how do you recognize that from the v2 ?

Also same question for the 225

best

6. pege63

pege63 Very Senior Member

Here for 225 V2 vs V3
    Here for 245 V2 vs V3

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  7. sic0048

sic0048 New Around Here

It looks like the EAP-245v3 is showing up on the TP-Link US website now. Hopefully that still means a late March 2019 release in the USA. I'm looking forward to seeing the cost structure as I think I would like to install these in my home. I recently put EAP225v3 into my parents home and they are working well.

https://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-4908_EAP245.html

8. TD22057

TD22057 New Around Here

9. Zork

Zork New Around Here

The difference between EAP225_V3 and EAP245_v3 is 20 buck, is worth? I´m planning to get 2 units in the office.

10. Max Nguyen

Max Nguyen Occasional Visitor

I have both. I feel like the 245v3 has a bit more range than the 225v3. I'm returning my 225s and getting 245s

11. airpull91

airpull91 New Around Here

Hi, I plan to use this AP as a secondary wifi at my office with 4 units of it which cover the whole office floor. ATM, we have our existing wifi at our office which using ruckus R700 AP. My concern is that the interference from it. It is suitable for me to set this up? Is there any way from me to setup the new wifi and reduce the existing wifi interference? because the new wifi is gonna use 800Mbps Internet speed.

12. Stanwood

Stanwood New Around Here

Does anyone have experience with the 2nd ethernet port on EAP245v3?

If I use this as a bridge to my downstream network am I asking for lower performance compared to a basic switch like TL-SG10005P or GS105PE?

Also, am I missing something or did TP-Link forget to write a manual for the actual router? All I see on their support page speaks to the Omada software.

13. Val D.

Val D. Very Senior Member

As per TP-Link, the ETH2 port is for bridging. Not sure what exactly they intend to bridge there, but I don't think ETH2 has PoE pass-through, so it can't be a second EAP245. Very little documentation about ETH2, I may have to try to connect the second EAP245 there and see what happens. In theory, for devices not needing PoE, should be fine. The bandwidth on ETH1 will be shared between the AP and ETH2 though, no doubt about it.

What router? Omada software (runs on a PC) of OC200 hardware (the hardware controller) are AP controllers only. The router is whatever you use as a router. In my case it's a pfSense computer. Or... did I understand your question right?

14. Stanwood

Stanwood New Around Here

Thanks Val. I hadn’t thought about the shared bandwidth till you pointed that out.

With free returns I decided to just order one and sort it out. In the end I tried both models and determined I can span the entire house with one EAP225. The EAP225 lists more antenna gain on both bands and I don’t need the faster 5Ghz speed of the EAP245 so I will be returning it. With the unit mounted to the ceiling of a central first floor room the 2.4Ghz band penetrates with almost no signal loss into every corner of the house including downstairs to the basement. The 5 GHz band drops off more as expected.

Originally I was using the bridge port on the 245 to save $$ on another switch. But ultimately I replaced my 50ft cable with a 75ft run and now I don’t need the bridge feature.

That last question I was asking about a manual for the EAP245. (Mixed up WAP and router). I couldn’t find the manual online.

15. Val D.

Only on 5GHz, but look at the transmission power:

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/eap225/#specifications

2.4GHz: 4dBi x 3
    5GHz: 5dBi x 2

≤24dBm(2.4GHz)
    ≤22dBm(5GHz)

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/ceiling-mount-access-point/eap245/#specifications

2.4GHz: 3 × 4dBi
    5GHz: 3 × 4dBi

≤25dBm(2.4GHz)
    ≤27dBm(5GHz)

I believe EAP245 is a better option. If EAP225 covers the house well, EAP245 should be at least the same or better.

16. Stanwood

Stanwood New Around Here

I was focused on dBi per antenna and not multiplying for 3 vs 2 antenna. Thanks for pointing out the error.

Now I’m facing a less technical hurdle. My spouse doesn’t want the “ugly” device on the ceiling of the living room. “Why don’t you just set it on that bookshelf?”

17. Val D.

This is a serious life threatening event. Do what she says, the signal pattern is almost omni directional. The green light on those is a bit too bright for home setup.

18. Stanwood

Stanwood New Around Here

Shelf worked just fine. A bit more 5G drop off in the corners of the basement but my 20 yr anniversary is coming up so who cares.

I have not tested band steering yet.

Did notice an option to turn off the green LED.

19. Val D.

There is, but I don't want to turn it OFF, I want it dimmer. And I know how it will become dimmer very soon.