What's new

Traffic Monitor per device not showing or working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DeanYYZ

Occasional Visitor
Greetings!

New to the Asus and the Asus-Merlin experience!

As the title says, I can no longer view Traffic Monitor per device.
I have an RT-AC1900P that was recently flashed first time to Merlin version 380.65 (latest as of today).

I was keen on using the Traffic Monitor per device...however, it is not displaying!

166kc5u.jpg

It did work when I first flashed the device and logged in to view. But after that it never shows.
A reboot occasional gets it to show up for that session, but that only worked 3 of 12 reboots!

Yes, I turned on and clicked on YES to "Enable IPTraffic" and "Create or reset IPTraffic data files"

ieim44.jpg

I also noticed after clicking Yes to the above pic and applying the changes, the YES changed back to No for the "Create or reset IPTraffic data files".

5dosaf.jpg

I re-flashed twice, also tried older versions with no help.

Your help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• C.JPG
    C.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 1,480
  • A.JPG
    A.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,613
  • B.JPG
    B.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,736
Last edited:
I was keen on using the Traffic Monitor per device...however, it is not displaying!

Works for me. Open you web browser console and look for any Javascript error. It's possible you have a client with an invalid hostname that's preventing the page from fully loading.

I also noticed after clicking Yes to the above pic and applying the changes, the YES changed back to No for the "Create or reset IPTraffic data files".

That's normal. You don't want the data file to be constantly recreated, so it gets created when you apply the settings, then the setting reverts back to "No".

Works for me. Open you web browser console and look for any Javascript error. It's possible you have a client with an invalid hostname that's preventing the page from fully loading.

That's normal. You don't want the data file to be constantly recreated, so it gets created when you apply the settings, then the setting reverts back to "No".

Thanks for the reply RMerlin!

Using Firefox I opened my web console and did not view any errors.

I also tried Microsoft Edge and Chrome with the same result...unable to view the Traffic Monitor per device.

Here is a screen shot using Chrome web console:

wmgemv.jpg

To investigate further I used the following other devices:

1. my wife's Dell notebook
2. my wife's iPhone 6
3. my iPad mini
4. my LG 4 Android phone
5. my work assigned iPad

Attachments

• D.JPG
    D.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 1,062
Last edited:
Look at your System Log for any error regarding the cstats process. The only time this table isn't drawn from what I can see in the code is if either cstats isn't providing any valid data back, or for some reason the router never finishes getting up-to-date data from it.

OK, I cycled the setting for Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring) ON/OFF.

No success again.

Here are the Logs for the time frame where I cycled the settings.
I'm pretty much a noob...but I do see a reference to cstats in the Systrem Log below:

May 1 00:52:24 rc_service: httpd 441:notify_rc restart_rstats;restart_conntrack;restart_leds;restart_cstats
May 1 01:05:45 rc_service: httpd 441:notify_rc restart_rstats;restart_conntrack;restart_leds;restart_cstats

OK, I cycled the setting for Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring) ON/OFF.

No success again.

Here are the Logs for the time frame where I cycled the settings.
I'm pretty much a noob...but I do see a reference to cstats in the Systrem Log below:

May 1 00:52:24 rc_service: httpd 441:notify_rc restart_rstats;restart_conntrack;restart_leds;restart_cstats
May 1 01:05:45 rc_service: httpd 441:notify_rc restart_rstats;restart_conntrack;restart_leds;restart_cstats

This only indicate that the service was restarted.

I notice that you have the location set to RAM, which means it won't survive a reboot anyway (and might be creating other issues - RAM location was never tested with IPTraffic, as everyone points it to a USB disk so it can survive a reboot). Point it to a folder on a USB disk, then re-create the database there.

If I repeatedly cycle "YES/NO" for the settings " Enable IPTraffic"....I sometimes get the tables into view and generate the info. But this is hit and miss after 5-7 "YES/NO" combo's.

This only indicate that the service was restarted.

I notice that you have the location set to RAM, which means it won't survive a reboot anyway (and might be creating other issues - RAM location was never tested with IPTraffic, as everyone points it to a USB disk so it can survive a reboot). Point it to a folder on a USB disk, then re-create the database there.

OK...will give that a try tomorrow.

Thanks for taking a look!

Well, I pointed it to a folder on a USB....
and it only works for a short time period.....sometimes it lasts 3min and other times it lasts for 20min.

After that, when I login back into the router, the info is gone.

I have discovered if I set "Enable IPTraffic" to No and hit Apply....then I go back into the settings and set YES to:

"Create or reset data files"
"Enable IPTraffic (per IP monitoring)"
"Create or reset IPTraffic data files"

2ephhl5.jpg

After doing the above, the Traffic Monitor per device Real-time tables come back to be displayed and viewed (short-lived until after some random amount of time where it stops) .

This is not ideal, as I should always have those tables displayed at anytime.

For the moment, I guess I'll have to do the settings cycle "NO/YES" to view them.

This shouldn't be happening, in fact I've never heard of it happening before. Try a different USB disk just in case, also use a flash drive instead of a hard disk, in case the hard disk going into sleep mode might be causing issues.

The USB is a flash drive 32G SanDisk Extreme USB 3.0.
This is the second flash USB drive I'm using, the first was a Verbatim that I used.
I have it plugged into the USB 3.0 port of the router.

Nothing was put on the flash drive except the folder I created for the Asus Traffic Monitor.

Does the format of the USB flash drive matter?

Or.....Perhaps it's the Asus RT-AC1900P router....a factory defect.

It's only two weeks old (30 day in-store warranty) and I can exchange for another from my local store here in Toronto Canada.

Should I return it to rule out any manufacturer faults?

Last edited:
Filesystem doesn't matter for this type of use, FAT32 would be fine. Try it on the USB2 port tho just in case.

There's always the chance of a hardware defect, tho that would be surprising considering your symptoms.

Anything particular about your network? Do you use any custom scripts? Download Master? Is your network a normal /24 (i.e. 192.168.1.xyz)?

Nothing special about my network.
Just a DSL bridged modem connected to the Asus.

no scripts
no Download Master

I did change the LAN IP to 192.168.0.1
(Out of the box it was 192.168.1.1)

I'll try the other USB port.
and while I'm at it, I'll also give a third USB flash drive a try.

I'll get back with the results in 2hrs.

New USB flash, and tried the other port.

Same results....it views for a short time....then goes away.

I'll try the other USB port.
and while I'm at it, I'll also give a third USB flash drive a try.

I'll get back with the results in 2hrs.
Just a thought on what Eric said. By any chance is that modem on the 0.1 subnet? Are you sure it's bridged?

I'm really out of ideas of things for you to look at at this point, sorry.

The problem has corrected itself, and now showing the Traffic Monitor per device tables!

Two successive back to back restore to factory default (Admin>Restore/Save/Upload Setting) did the trick!

I also did not change the routers LAN IP and left it to the default 192.168.1.1.

Thanks for all the help!