What's new

transmission-daemon 100% cpu load

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Alessio

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I'm using Latest stable merlin release ( 3.0.0.4.374.39 ) on a RT-AC66U, and I've installed entware and trasmission: recently I've noticed that trasmission daemon started to cause very hight cpu load.

I've tried to reset the router and reinstall everything, but with no luck.
Code:
  950     1 admin    S    18168  7.5   0 99.4 transmission-daemon -g /opt/etc/transmission
  333     1 admin    S     4044  1.6   0  0.2 httpd
 1045  1041 admin    R     1436  0.6   0  0.2 top

Actually I can't even stop transmission daemon:
Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/home/root# /opt/etc/init.d/S88transmission stop
 Checking transmission-daemon...              alive.
 Shutting down transmission-daemon...              failed.

Maybe someone could please give me some hints?

Thanks

After killing and restarting transmission-daemon I've the same situation : 100% cpu load even if I've zero torrents....

try to enable a swap partition: with large files transmission increases its memory occupation with strange results.

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I installed transmission for the second time, but after adding 2 or 3 torrents I start to have again 100% CPU load.

Looks like I have free memory, but I'll try to make anyway a swap partition

Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/mnt/asusdisk# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:        239564       149060        90504            0        57756
-/+ buffers:              91304       148260
Swap:            0            0            0

Should I have to format my HD in order to have a swap partition? How large should it be?

Hello, thanks for your reply.

I installed transmission for the second time, but after adding 2 or 3 torrents I start to have again 100% CPU load.

Looks like I have free memory, but I'll try to make anyway a swap partition

Code:
admin@RT-AC66U:/tmp/mnt/asusdisk# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:        239564       149060        90504            0        57756
-/+ buffers:              91304       148260
Swap:            0            0            0

Should I have to format my HD in order to have a swap partition? How large should it be?

256 to 512 MB should be enough. You may reduce your exiting partition by that amount of bytes and then create a linux swap partition, even if the best position for the swap partition is at the start of the disk (but to do that you should reformat the disk from scratch). One suggestion use linux to accomplish this task: if you don't have linux installed, a live linux distribution or better, a live dedicated distribution such as Gparted live, will accomplish the job.

I just noticed that I, also have this problem. RT-N66U with 2TB ext3 hard drive and merlins 3.0.0.4.374.38_2. With no torrents running, I show 99.4% in top, and I have a 256mb swap partition enabled and used. Also, I can't stop the transmission daemon per the wiki. Streaming is fine, no other problems.

I tried to format the hdd and install everything from scratch, but I didn't solve the problem with transmission.

Now I've installed rtorrent and everything works perfect, I must say that rtorrent seems much better and lighter than Transmission :)

I have a DSL-N55U, using entware package manager, and I appear to have the same problem. Stock firmware 3.0.0.4.374_4422. Transmission was running fine for a week or so, then suddenly it didn't update/announce trackers since it somehow got clogged and is constantly utilizing 99% cpu. I had about 16 torrents in it at this point. Stopping all the torrents and then restarting transmission-daemon left it at normal (<5%) cpu usage, but as soon as I started 1 or 2 torrents, just seeding them, cpu utilization skyrocketed again.

So yesterday I formated the usb drive and reinstalled optware together with Transmission. I added 8 torrents, they downloaded smoothly, <10% cpu utilization when transmission was idling/seeding. Then I wake up again today and the torrents are no longer announcing/updating to the tracker and transmission-daemon is utilizing 100% cpu all the time.
p3sNk72.png

All the torrents are downloaded and are just seeding a few kb/s every now and then.

global-peer-limit: 24
peer-limit (per torrent): 12
open-file-limit: 3

Last edited:
You need to update libcurl from 7.34 to libcurl_7.36.0-1_entware and the problem will completely gone.

Hi I'm using rtorrent & rutorrent with lighttpd
At first it was working grate. After adding a few torrents (about 20)
All of them finished downloading and started seeding.
The GUI was showing 100% CPU usage

The next day. The router was stuck (rt_ac66u)
Rebooted without the USB entware folder and disabled S85rutorrent and I was able to continue working without a problem

* when I start the rtorrent service. The router is suck again and I can't get access by GUI or SSH

I will try to update lib curl later tonight and post the outcome..

Could anyone give a quick howto command on how to run the updated libcurl package on the router after I uploaded the .ipk package to the router? Thank You

Try adding a swap partition. Even though transmission can run on these routers due to the lack of horsepower you will run into issues like this.