What's new

trendmicro any way to stop it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jack901

Regular Contributor
with merlin 380.65 it seems trendmicro is going out to asus.trendmicro.com or similar several times an hour every hour. no I have all the trendmico stuff turned off and not enabled.
is there anyway to kill it permanently? or a switch I can hit to disable it? I see since I am not using it it should not be doing it continuously.
any one know why it is doing it?
yes I know it is not of merlins doing and it is asus firmware.
thanks

with merlin 380.65 it seems trendmicro is going out to asus.trendmicro.com or similar several times an hour every hour. no I have all the trendmico stuff turned off and not enabled.
is there anyway to kill it permanently? or a switch I can hit to disable it? I see since I am not using it it should not be doing it continuously.
thanks
Is Adaptive QoS off? And traffic statistics too? Both uses trend micro engine.

the question is why is it bothering you , its doing its job
I guess he read about Trend Micro sending URLs to the server, and now decides to turn it off.

qos is off and I believe statictics is also off.
what is its job? I would think it is off it should have no job to do.
it just bothers me that something I have turned off is doing what it wants with stuff I borrow. as there is no sale now as I do not control it. (yes I am one of those).
thanks

the question is why is it bothering you , its doing its job

thanks
I noticed something similar many firmwares ago but I can't remember what it was about. I think* (speculating with no proof and no coding background) it's a bug related to the EULA (End User License Agreement) from Trend Micro. Once you agree to the EULA, on any module, it opens the door to the closed-source logic. Some of these activities or communications will (or not) display in the log.

OFF should equal OFF but I think after you've accepted the EULA some logic will continue listening/sending because it's a bug. I don't think anything malicious is intended.

The only way I have found to reset the EULA is a factory default reset - but even then I am not sure. If I want to experiment with a TM module I just reset the firmware after I'm done and then never approve the EULA.

*If you can show that Trend Micro is doing something odd, and you have not accepted the EULA, and you are using official approved firmware, and you have packet capture, then you would have a good case to file a bug report with Asus. Then wait. Then Asus would have to wait on Trend Micro to address it. AintNobodyGotTime4That.jpg

is there anyway to kill it permanently? or a switch I can hit to disable it?
If you're not able to re-compile the firmware with "BWDPI=n", there is another way. First, you could put an entry in the router's hosts file to block access to their website. However, that's probably not going to do it. So, you list the running processes on the router, identify the unwanted programs and then bind mount each unwanted program to /dev/null, in the init-start script. AND, take care to not bind mount any symbolic link that points to /sbin/rc or /bin/busybox, since individual symbolic links cannot be bind mounted; it would create problems for any program name that points to rc or busybox.

Last edited:
thanks for the how to kill. never seen a eula as never activate addons in the router.
guess I need to read up on trend micro and what its purpose is.
thanks for ways to kill.

thanks for the how to kill. never seen a eula as never activate addons in the router.
guess I need to read up on trend micro and what its purpose is.
thanks for ways to kill.
Yes, kill it first, then bury it deep so it does not come back to bite you. That's the "bind mount to /dev/null" piece.