What's new

Trouble with Server Certificate for WebGUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zigster

Occasional Visitor
Hi Forum,

Got my GT-AXE11000 and had it correctly setup (Asus-WRT Merlin 388.1_0_rog with correct Browser Certificate), until I carelessly added under /Advanced_ASUSDDNS_Content.asp -> Webui SSL Certificate -> Additional Certificate SANs the routers IP.
And now I can't get rid of that additionally added Router IP in the SAN list.

Things I tried without success:
1. Restore settings before adding the Router's IP to Additional Certificate SANs
2. Reset to factory default (Merlin) and restore settings
3. Flash latest Original Asus Firmware + restore settings
4. Hard Reset (WPS Button + Power on)
5. Clear the JFFS on next boot

The SAN list always contains the Router's IP adress:

1679265368905.png

Similarly the Section: /Advanced_System_Content.asp ->Local Access Config will also show the SAN list:

1679265479533.png

I'd be very grateful for hints on how to get rid of the Router's IP in the SAN List.

Thank you very much for your support,

Zigster

Last edited:
Why do you need to get rid of the IP address? Is it not the correct IP address of your router?

As far as I know there's always been the IP address there:
Untitled.png

Why do you need to get rid of the IP address? Is it not the correct IP address of your router?

As far as I know there's always been the IP address there:
View attachment 48696
Hi ColinTaylor,

thanks for your reply.
The router ip is correct, but the problem is, that the Certificate is not accepted by the browser (Invalid Certificate, red Exclamation mark), when visiting router.asus.com:8443 as it is issued for the Router's IP (Issued for (CN): 192.168.x.y and Issued by (CN): 192.168.x.y ) and not for router.asus.com.

I followed the ASUS-procedure (Method 1) from her: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034294/

I also removed the Certificate and reinstalled it, but to no prevail.

Thanks again for your support
PS: I created a new one (renaming it from *.pem to*.crt and then installing it) and at least now Chrome says, that the certificate is valid, but it is still not trusted and issued for and by 192.168.x.y (which afaik it shouldn't be)

Last edited:
[Update]
After closing the browser multiple times, the problem is magically gone, apparently the recreation of the certificate, renaming it from *.pem to *.cert and then installing it actually helped to solve the issue!

Thanks to @ColinTaylor

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!