What's new

Trying to configure OpenVPN for specific devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Entropism

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Sorry if this was answered before, I searched but didn't find anything. I'm trying to set up a VPN strictly for specific devices (namely my Apple TV), but I've been hitting a few snags. Any help would be appreciated.

So far, I've set up the VPN as an OpenVPN client on my RT-AC68U using my NordVPN login. I've set "Accept DNS Configuration" as exclusive, and under DNSFilter, I have the following:

Global filtering set to No Filtering
Custom DNS 1 set to 103.86.96.100 (NordVPN's DNS)
Custom DNS 2 set to 192.168.1.15 (My Pi-Hole, which is the default DNS set in the router)

I have my Apple TV set to Custom DNS 1. It's my only entry.

When I head to NordVPN on my desktop, it shows that I'm connected to their VPN server, same with any other device I try. So it looks like the DNS filtering simply isn't working.

Is there anything blatantly obvious that I'm missing here? The only reason I'm looking to set this up is to have NHL.tv think I'm out of market, so I can get my local hockey games streaming, and cut the cable cord. Nord is SUPPOSED to be set to show I'm in LA, instead of NJ.

Edit: I'm willing to do whatever I have to do to get this running. Right now I'm considering buying a second router strictly for the VPN, if I have to. From what I've been reading, this should all be able to be done right through my RT-AC68U though.

Hi,

Sorry if this was answered before, I searched but didn't find anything. I'm trying to set up a VPN strictly for specific devices (namely my Apple TV), but I've been hitting a few snags. Any help would be appreciated.

So far, I've set up the VPN as an OpenVPN client on my RT-AC68U using my NordVPN login. I've set "Accept DNS Configuration" as exclusive, and under DNSFilter, I have the following:

Global filtering set to No Filtering
Custom DNS 1 set to 103.86.96.100 (NordVPN's DNS)
Custom DNS 2 set to 192.168.1.15 (My Pi-Hole, which is the default DNS set in the router)

I have my Apple TV set to Custom DNS 1. It's my only entry.

When I head to NordVPN on my desktop, it shows that I'm connected to their VPN server, same with any other device I try. So it looks like the DNS filtering simply isn't working.

Is there anything blatantly obvious that I'm missing here? The only reason I'm looking to set this up is to have NHL.tv think I'm out of market, so I can get my local hockey games streaming, and cut the cable cord. Nord is SUPPOSED to be set to show I'm in LA, instead of NJ.

Edit: I'm willing to do whatever I have to do to get this running. Right now I'm considering buying a second router strictly for the VPN, if I have to. From what I've been reading, this should all be able to be done right through my RT-AC68U though.
1. What is Redirect Internet traffic set to?
2. Which f/w version?

Redirect Internet Traffic was set to "no".
Firmware is the latest release, 384.8_2
You need to set it to Policy Rules, and add rules to route specific devices over the VPN.

I don't know why "No" is routing everything though...you don't have NordVPN's desktop client running in the background by mistake do you?

OK, so... I set it to policy rules for the source IP. Anything have to be set for the destination IP? I assume the VPN server address?

The desktop app IS running, but it's not connected to a VPN.

OK, so... I set it to policy rules for the source IP. Anything have to be set for the destination IP? I assume the VPN server address?

The desktop app IS running, but it's not connected to a VPN.
Use 0.0.0.0 for Dest. IP for all traffic

Looks like that did the trick! Thank you!

I'll double check when the game comes on later, but it seems like I'm connecting through Los Angeles when I run a speed test.

I don't know why "No" is routing everything though...

Some tunnel providers will push default routes (or include them in the custom settings) that will route everything through them. Setting routing to "No" on the router simply tells the router not to mess with the routes pushed by the remote server.