What's new

Two wireless router linked?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

exeon

New Around Here
Hi there.
Im trying to setup a network at home like this.

Downstairs, I have a router wndr3700v2. This is my main router linked to my modem. It works perfectly.

On the 3rd floors, I have a PC that has no wireless card. I also have a Wrt160nv2 not used. Can I use that second router to connect wirelessly to my main router and use an ethernet cable from modem2 to PC upstairs?

Thanks!

The WRT160Nv2 doesn't have WDS or wireless client mode capabilities, nor does it support 3rd party firmware to adapt it for such. The WNDR3700v2 does support 3rd party firmware to allow wireless client bridge mode though, so the roles would need to be reversed to accomplish your needs. Client bridge mode, used with the Atheros wireless chipset like whats found in the WNDR3700, is not fully supported. You may find, despite good signal, that link rate is limited to something like 1Mbps. It might be best to just buy an wireless ethernet bridge.

Last edited:
Oh :(

So what is the optimal choice for my setup? Would it be better to just buy a wireless card for my PC? Or maybe a Homeplug setup?

I'd rather not have too much loss of speed nor pay too much.

So what's the optimal setup at the best price?

Hi there.
Im trying to setup a network at home like this.

Downstairs, I have a router wndr3700v2. This is my main router linked to my modem. It works perfectly.

On the 3rd floors, I have a PC that has no wireless card. I also have a Wrt160nv2 not used. Can I use that second router to connect wirelessly to my main router and use an ethernet cable from modem2 to PC upstairs?

Thanks!
No. The router cannot be a client device.
If that 3rd floor PC simply lacks WiFi, merely get a $15 USB WiFi adapter for it. If the signal is too weak up there, here are some options:

1. Move the WiFi router more centrally in the house, maybe 2nd floor. Run cat5 cable from it to the modem.

2. Add an access point to bring new/better coverage to an area. Any old WiFi router can be faked to be an access point (see FAQs). It connects by cat5 to a LAN port on your router and is placed nearer the weak signal area.

3. Use cable TV wiring with a pair of MoCA devices to bring LAN connectivity to a room/area where there is existing TV coax.

4. Same as (3) but done using IP over power wiring.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!