What's new

Two WNDR3700s. One as a repeater?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

IsLNdbOi

Occasional Visitor
I'm planning on picking up two WNDR3700s. One will be a repeater for the other.

Is it possible to do this with its stock firmware? dd-wrt still doesn't have compatible firmware for the WNDR3700.

Also, since these are dual simultaneous routers can the 5GHz radios in each be used as the "link" between the two units when one is being used as a repeater?

All I need are the 2.4GHz radios for my network.

I'm planning on picking up two WNDR3700s. One will be a repeater for the other.

Is it possible to do this with its stock firmware? dd-wrt still doesn't have compatible firmware for the WNDR3700.
Yes

Also, since these are dual simultaneous routers can the 5GHz radios in each be used as the "link" between the two units when one is being used as a repeater?
Yes. Either radio can be used for the repeater link.

When I setup the repeater using their 5GHz radios, the bandwidth of the 2.4GHz radios won't be reduced right?

Very confusing topic. What are you doing with the 2.4Ghz radios?

Anything you repeat using WDS must use WEP encryption (yuck!!!) and will have 1/2 performance due to repeating.

A better solution is to run a CAT5e cable to the midpoint where your signal is weak and add a second WNDR3700, setup as an access point and set on an adjacent channel.

WNDR3700 #1

connected to

WNDR3700 #2

via their 5GHz radios.

2.4GHz radios in each WNDR3700 for the wifi network that my computers will use to access the internet. Why would the 2.4GHz radios' performance drop in half when it's the 5GHz radios being used for repeating?

WNDR3700 #1

connected to

WNDR3700 #2

via their 5GHz radios.

2.4GHz radios in each WNDR3700 for the wifi network that my computers will use to access the internet. Why would the 2.4GHz radios' performance drop in half when it's the 5GHz radios being used for repeating?
It should not.

Repeated connections on a single radio suffer throughput reduction because the same radio must receive, then retransmit.

With the 5 GHz radios doing "backhaul" (connection between the two routers) and the 2.4 GHz radios handling client traffic, you should not see a throughput reduction because both radios can operate simultaneously.

Claykin is correct, however, the WDS connections can be WEP encrypted, but not WPA/WPA2.

I'll have to settle on WEP + hidden SSID + MAC filtering.

WEP=poor protection, easily hackable
hidden SSID = no protection at all. many free utils that will divulge hidden SSID
MAC filtering = also poor protection and easily circumvented using Mac spoofing.

Don't do any open file sharing on this network and act as if you are connected to an open wifi hotspot. Just about any 16 year old with an hour to spare can get into your network.

Look, I was not asking for advice, but thanks for the concern anyway. I only came to ask my question(s). If WEP, hidden SSIDs and MAC Filtering are all that will work when one is in repeater mode, that's fine. I really need one to run as a repeater and with all the open wifi networks on my street anyway, I doubt some kid is going to take the time to circumvent the three just to get free access. If I need to share files between my PCs, I'll walk over to them with a hard drive.Do you have any other ideas on how to extend the range of my network without cutting the performance in half?Also, I'm no network guru, but what would be needed to break through a WEP protected network?

Last edited:
Do you have any other ideas on how to extend the range of my network without cutting the performance in half?Also, I'm no network guru, but what would be needed to break through a WEP protected network?
This is a bit old now, but gives you an idea of the relative ease of cracking WEP. WEP Cracking...Reloaded

I also have a couple of devices that work on WEP only networks. What do you suppose I do with those? What should I do to create a more secure network while still letting these devices work on my network?

Also, how do I extend the range of my 5GHz AND 2.4GHz networks w/o using a repeater AND while keeping something more secure than WEP while still allowing those devices (that work only with WEP) to work with my network?

I also have a couple of devices that work on WEP only networks. What do you suppose I do with those? What should I do to create a more secure network while still letting these devices work on my network?
If the WEP-only devices need access to other machines on your LAN, about all you can do is keep your anti-virus and anti-malware software up to date and keep an eye our for unusual activity.

If the WEP-only devices just need Internet access, then you can put them on the WNDR3700's Guest WLAN. This will provide Internet-only access, but keep devices isolated from the wired lan and other wireless traffic.

Also, how do I extend the range of my 5GHz AND 2.4GHz networks w/o using a repeater AND while keeping something more secure than WEP while still allowing those devices (that work only with WEP) to work with my network?
If you want WPA protection, you'll need to do it via a wireless bridge that doesn't use WEP (D-Link DAP-1522, DAP-2553, etc.). You'll then need to set up a separate AP on that end of the bridge if you want wireless at the far end.