What's new

Unable to find AiMesh node

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yu202802

New Around Here
I have an AX88U running Merlin 386.8 and AC68U running Merlin 386.7_2, both are set in AP mode and works fine independently.
However I'm having no success trying to pair them in AiMesh setup, both routers have IP reservation on the DNS server (another DD-WRT router), and I enabled the "Ethernet Backhaul Mode" option.

In the "Client List" popup both routers can see each other and even recognize each other's model just fine, and know that the other is connected through ethernet, but yea not having any luck when trying to search for AiMesh node from either unit.

I initially thought that the issue was I set both routers using static IP, so I changed them to use dynamic IP (and added DNS reservation), but that didn't help either.
I have even put them side by side to try check if the distance was an issue, since initially they were on different floors, but no luck there.

Any suggestions?
Or could it be that they just don't pair at all with Merlin?
I haven't tried reverting to Asus' default firmware yet.

Do a factory reset of the AC68U. Use a short jumper cable and plug the cable into the WAN port of the AC68U. Then plug the other end into any LAN port on your AX88U. The AX88U must be in router mode.

Log into the AX88U then click AiMesh on the left. Top center click "+add AiMesh Node". The AC68U should be detected.

Note that it is easier to do firmware updates when the nodes are running stock firmware even when the router is running Merlin firmware. Running stock firmware on the nodes also greatly increases the options for what nodes you can purchase and/or use.

Do a factory reset of the AC68U. Use a short jumper cable and plug the cable into the WAN port of the AC68U. Then plug the other end into any LAN port on your AX88U. The AX88U must be in router mode.
@Morris ... does the AX88U have to be in router mode for the AiMesh to work?
Or it only need to be in router mode on the initial setup only?

I am planning to run the AX88U only in AP mode, since I already have another wired router set up (that also provides the DHCP service)

@Morris ... does the AX88U have to be in router mode for the AiMesh to work?
Or it only need to be in router mode on the initial setup only?

I am planning to run the AX88U only in AP mode, since I already have another wired router set up (that also provides the DHCP service)
I believe it must be in router mose. I'd expect that you can go LAN to LAN with your wired router and disable the DHCP on the Asus and have no WAN connection

I was never able to get AImesh working using Merlin firmware. I had to revert back to stock, and it set up fine. I have heard people do this, then flash to merlin after setting up the AImesh using stock firmware. I have not reverted back to Merlin after however; so I cannot confirm this.

Thank you @Morris and @uwish for the info, I will try later today and update afterward.

Edit: decided to try my luck by only flashing the AC68U with latest stock Asus firmware, skipped a bit for a moment because the firmware update process with stock firmware, rebooted the unit then hit the hard reset button. During the setup I just selected the option to make it into AiMesh node, and then on the AX88U which is still in AP mode and running Merlin tried to do the AiMesh node search and immediately it shows up. I set it to pair and took a while for the process it seems, and it paired up using the wifi network initially, but when I plugged the AC68U to the network it switched automatically to use the ethernet backhaul.

Last edited:
I've only ever been able to get AiMesh working when I set it up using the Asus Router app on an iPhone. It's never worked for me using Android or the web admin. Bizarre, I know, but that's my experience.

The only way I ever got mesh to work is connecting the mesh unit DIRECTLY to one of the ports on the main router.
Once it was set up, I could unplug it and move it to where it needed to be and use ethernet as the backhaul.

Nothing else ever worked.
Not leaving WPS enabled.
Not having them close to each other.
Not even having them in the same wired network.

The mesh device's WAN port had to be directly connected to any of the LAN ports on the min router.

Asus has the absolute dumbest setup for mesh. Should just be able to plug it in and have it find the mesh unit. Input its IP at worst.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!