What's new

Unable to log into Samba server with merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kanvas

New Around Here
I have connected a hdd to the Asus RT AC68U router, but can not access this as Samba server with Merlin firmware. It will not accept username and password. There are no problems with Asus original firmware. Does anyone know why this is so?

Last edited:
What's the error message? What's the client OS?

I find that Samba on asuswrt-merlin works from OSX 10.10.4 with the router's admin login credentials, whereas using the created Samba accounts gets "The version of the server you are trying to connect to is not supported."

The clients are a tablet with Android Lollipop and a Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player. On both, I just get this message when I try to login using the router's login.

Please verify username and password

As said before no problem with Asus original firmware 3.0.0.4.378.4850

I have the exact same issue with an RT-AC3200, Asus Merlin 380.68_4, and an Oppo UHD-203 UHD Blu-ray player.
The UHD-203 sees the Samba share but refuses to let me log in.

I wonder why official Asus firmware works for you as opposed to Merlin.

I called Oppo and was told that Oppo uses SMB 2.0 protocol, so I enabled SMB2 protocol in Merlin, but that didn't help.

NFS works fine though with the Oppo BDP-203.

This person also has the same issue: https://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/threads/noob-questions-on-media-samba-servers.28096/.

Last edited:
I wonder why official Asus firmware works for you as opposed to Merlin.
This thread and the one you linked to are both 2 years old without any follow up posts. Since then the Samba code in stock and Merlin's firmware has been updated many times. The fact that both posts are about an Oppo makes me think that is where the problem lies. Are there any firmware updates for the Oppo?

The only other thing that comes to mind is to make sure your Samba username and password isn't too long and doesn't contain any non-alphanumeric characters.

Last edited:
This thread and the one you linked to are both 2 years old without any follow up posts.

The issue persists with a newer model Oppo network/disc player.

Since then the Samba code in stock and Merlin's firmware has been updated many times.

Strange that Samba shares running on Windows works (in addition, apparently, to official Asus firmware).

The fact that both posts are about an Oppo makes me think that is where the problem lies.

Difficult to determine

Are there any firmware updates for the Oppo?

Yes. I'm referring to a newer model than OP.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-udp-203-Support.aspx

Latest Official Release Version

Release date: September 25, 2017
Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: UDP20X-51-0922
Loader Version: TF0035
MCU Version: MCU203-01-1118

The only other thing that comes to mind is to make sure your Samba username and password isn't too long and doesn't contain any non-alphanumeric characters.

That doesn't make a difference. The password can be a single character. Still can't login.

NFS works fine though.

Last edited:
Doesn't matter. The issue persists.

Strange that Samba shares running on Windows works (in addition, apparently, to official Asus firmware).

Difficult to determine

Yes. I'm referring to a newer model than OP.

https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-203/blu-ray-udp-203-Support.aspx

Latest Official Release Version

Release date: September 25, 2017
Category: Latest Official Release

Main Version: UDP20X-51-0922
Loader Version: TF0035
MCU Version: MCU203-01-1118

That doesn't matter. The password can be a single character. Still can't login.

NFS works fine though.
And what does SysLog on the router show at these failed login attempts?

And what does SysLog on the router show at these failed login attempts?

I'm not seeing anything being dropped that corresponds with anything inside my LAN.

I would probably need to be able to get a log from the Oppo UHD-203 itself in order to figure out what's going on, and I doubt Oppo is going to give me the tools to do that.

This issue isn't a big deal in the sense that the UHD-203 also supports NFS and DLNA; there are other options that work. But it is puzzling. Merlin firmware is great, so I'm not going to switch away from it just because of this issue.

Last edited:
my samba performance by about 20% over the current 380.68 builds.

That's because I use Samba 3.6.25, while Asus is using a prehistoric version (3.0.33).

I'm owner of RT-AC88U.
Install Debian Jessie.
Disable SAMBA in Merlin Firmware in GUI.
Install and run SAMBA in chrooted Debian.
No more incorrect username and password error message on my OPPO 203 BDP.
No more unstable streaming and log in issue.
NFS by merlin firmware is also unstable.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!